• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,119 posts in this topic

On 4/13/2024 at 8:56 AM, Surfing Alien said:

Heritage's description of The One Between by Arthur Adlon (Beacon, 1962) is ludicrous:

"The One Between dates to what's called the "golden age" of the lesbian pulp genre. These books used the public's appetite for erotic, lurid, and sensational stories to create space for representation of queer characters not allowed elsewhere in mainstream American culture and are highly collectible today."

Beacon's strategy in publishing was purely and simply to peddle cheap thrills and sleaze to the prurient interests of men. Heritage knows this, of course, but decides instead to rewrite history to retroject a false motive of "inclusion" on the publisher's part. I hate dishonesty in advertising.

lf.jpeg

2.jpeg

On 4/13/2024 at 9:44 AM, Sarg said:

Heritage's description of The One Between by Arthur Adlon (Beacon, 1962) is ludicrous:

"The One Between dates to what's called the "golden age" of the lesbian pulp genre. These books used the public's appetite for erotic, lurid, and sensational stories to create space for representation of queer characters not allowed elsewhere in mainstream American culture and are highly collectible today."

Beacon's strategy in publishing was purely and simply to peddle cheap thrills and sleaze to the prurient interests of men. Heritage knows this, of course, but decides instead to rewrite history to retroject a false motive of "inclusion" on the publisher's part. I hate dishonesty in advertising.

See, I don't see that as saying the publisher had any of that intent.  But some of the creators did, and even without that the books did have the effect described to some degree.  So it's a fair statement, if poorly worded in suggesting that the books somehow had intent on their own.

On 4/13/2024 at 8:56 AM, Surfing Alien said:

I know we should always feel blessed with what we have, and I do, but I wish I had the swag to play in this pool :sorry:

Don't worry, muh dude, if you set up a good number of pb sales between now and then, you may just be able to afford this masterpiece:

https://fineart.ha.com/itm/paintings/american-artist-20th-century-study-for-proposed-magazine-cover-watercolor-and-gouache-on-board-11-1-2-x-8-1-2-inches/a/8161-71246.s

Wait, maybe you don't want to spend there but here:

https://fineart.ha.com/itm/pin-up-and-glamour-art/joyce-ballantyne-american-1918-2006-beauty-in-pink-oil-on-canvas-30-x-24-inches-762-x-610-cm-stamped-and/a/8161-71250.s

Cough, but for real, there's some "low end" items in there, too, I suspect you may be interested in (I know I am, but the price has to be so low for me to play, sigh) :whistle:

I think I predicted elsewhere that the McCauley will blow the estimate out of the water, but that's pure conjecture.

I love this Georgi, but it has some unfortunate markings right on the forehead.  This image is altered, as I took a moment to remove those and some other physical marrings:

EdwinGeorgi-DawsonsLovelyDaughterTheSaturdayEveningPostinterior1955(HADarwinEdit).thumb.jpg.afa60763cf8cd16f142cb96077f80074.jpg

I think this Fried is a stunner, too.

PalFried.Gladys.Oiloncanvas.thumb.jpg.c4552e5845c89157d91a86e759560316.jpg

You know, it'd never hurt to ask the Mrs. about the possibility of second mortgage for Reefer Girl :bigsmile: 

What a stunner that one is.  The painting looks to be in great condition, too.  The little bit of inpaint wouldn't deter me in the slightest.  If I had all that cash lying around, that is :roflmao:

Edited by Darwination

On 4/13/2024 at 10:08 AM, Sarg said:

Early pre-cleavage Avon. Crude compared to their later covers, but charming in its own way. Looking forward to reading this. The only other Merritt I've read so far is Burn Witch Burn.

image.thumb.jpeg.a2f6c69e9bd5e6b31f846986aa4f1ff6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b6b2dfd7c787cb8a1c243d2c4bb4b932.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b1a0a3470b2eaa14dedf3bc789832149.jpeg

image.jpeg

Nice one!  In my experience that's the hardest of the Merritt Murder Mystery Monthly issues to find by a fair margin, and it's a beautiful copy.

On 4/13/2024 at 12:03 PM, OtherEric said:

See, I don't see that as saying the publisher had any of that intent.  But some of the creators did, and even without that the books did have the effect described to some degree.  So it's a fair statement, if poorly worded in suggesting that the books somehow had intent on their own.

I'm in agreement with both sentiments here.  Ascribing nobility to the publishers of sleaze is hilarious, but there's no doubt a lot of what gets peddled as sleaze were actually very human stories.  And some representation/discussion, even in the fringes of culture, is far better than nothing at all, and there's all sorts of that happening with various taboos in the paperbacks

I watched Carol this week and thought it an excellent and subtle film, even if it was far from what I was expecting based on my encounters with Highsmith's crime-tinged books.  I'm told it's faithful to the original novel which I intend to check out.  It's slow, though - don't hate me if you're looking for thrills.  I picked up an epub but would much prefer to read the first printing.  IF IT DIDNT COST A MILLION DOLLARS

1536729223.0.l.jpg

Edited by Darwination

On 4/13/2024 at 10:20 AM, Darwination said:

or this one from far earlier (wonder if this ever made it to paperback)

ASF44-110001.thumb.jpg.d8d3697ab07bda2a576464bdfeaa88fc.jpg

I think the first Sturgeon-specific pb collection with this story is Aliens 4 by Avon, cover art is Powers-esque but not great. Looks like the first paperback to feature the Killdozer on the cover is a French pb from ‘71. 

On 4/13/2024 at 2:12 PM, Number 6 said:

I think the first Sturgeon-specific pb collection with this story is Aliens 4 by Avon, cover art is Powers-esque but not great. Looks like the first paperback to feature the Killdozer on the cover is a French pb from ‘71. 

1539784821.0.x.jpg

Ha! Thanks :D

On 4/13/2024 at 1:03 PM, OtherEric said:

Yeah, I kind of agree. The copy says "The Books", not "The Publishers" but it is is poorly worded and I can see how it can imply a more benevolent intent on the publishers part than they had, which was surely to sell books to men in raincoats with their collars raised :shiftyeyes:

On 4/13/2024 at 1:10 PM, Darwination said:

Don't worry, muh dude, if you set up a good number of pb sales between now and then, you may just be able to afford this masterpiece:

https://fineart.ha.com/itm/paintings/american-artist-20th-century-study-for-proposed-magazine-cover-watercolor-and-gouache-on-board-11-1-2-x-8-1-2-inches/a/8161-71246.s

Wait, maybe you don't want to spend there but here:

https://fineart.ha.com/itm/pin-up-and-glamour-art/joyce-ballantyne-american-1918-2006-beauty-in-pink-oil-on-canvas-30-x-24-inches-762-x-610-cm-stamped-and/a/8161-71250.s

Cough, but for real, there's some "low end" items in there, too, I suspect you may be interested in (I know I am, but the price has to be so low for me to play, sigh) :whistle:

I think I predicted elsewhere that the McCauley will blow the estimate out of the water, but that's pure conjecture.

I love this Georgi, but it has some unfortunate markings right on the forehead.  This image is altered, as I took a moment to remove those and some other physical marrings:

EdwinGeorgi-DawsonsLovelyDaughterTheSaturdayEveningPostinterior1955(HADarwinEdit).thumb.jpg.afa60763cf8cd16f142cb96077f80074.jpg

I think this Fried is a stunner, too.

PalFried.Gladys.Oiloncanvas.thumb.jpg.c4552e5845c89157d91a86e759560316.jpg

You know, it'd never hurt to ask the Mrs. about the possibility of second mortgage for Reefer Girl :bigsmile: 

What a stunner that one is.  The painting looks to be in great condition, too.  The little bit of inpaint wouldn't deter me in the slightest.  If I had all that cash lying around, that is :roflmao:

Ha - I know you love that purported Cardwell Higgins - although I could see it possibly being a concept sketch for a girlie by someone like him.

The "study" for Reefer Girl sold for $20k back in a time when the market was hotter for Illustration art. It will be interesting to see what the true published cover goes for on the 23rd.  I can imagine it would go for quite a bit more, being so iconic but it's hard to tell in today's market what anything will go for.

I could see myself throwing a thrill bid on one or two of the cheaper items that looks cool but I haven't seen anything that was really cool go for cheap on HA

On 4/13/2024 at 1:11 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Yeah, I kind of agree. The copy says "The Books", not "The Publishers" but it is is poorly worded and I can see how it can imply a more benevolent intent on the publishers part than they had, which was surely to sell books to men in raincoats with their collars raised :shiftyeyes:

Be fair.  Their intent was to sell to absolutely anybody who could get their money onto the counter... which they probably suspected contained a lot of men in raincoats with their collars raised, but they didn't discriminate.

On 4/13/2024 at 3:11 PM, Surfing Alien said:

On 4/13/2024 at 3:32 PM, OtherEric said:

Be fair.  Their intent was to sell to absolutely anybody who could get their money onto the counter... which they probably suspected contained a lot of men in raincoats with their collars raised, but they didn't discriminate.

Now suddenly, wearing a raincoat with the collar raised makes you bad?  The fashion police on these boards are out of control!  (tsk)