• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WYTCHES - Scott Snyder & Jock

1,106 posts in this topic

Hello everybody and I hope your day is good. New at this and this is my first post.

I found a online store selling b/w Wytches 2 phantom variant for 75$. Is this good for this variant? (just starting out and i'm impressed with other peoples collection pics)

Thanks for any reply

Keith

Nah, that's insane. Hold out and you'll find it much cheaper.

Thanks for your reply.

If you don't like variants then don't buy variants! I honestly don't see how a few extra variants will stop you from enjoying the book if it's a good read. (shrug)

It can hinder the enjoyment of the story because some enjoy collecting and reading. By frustrating the collector you can turn away some readers.

I commissioned 100+ original overs for variants in the last year.

Artists were employed & received additional income.

Most creators seemed thrilled with the opportunity.

Publishers have seemed thrilled with the opportunity.

I have been thrilled with the opportunity.

The retailers Phantom represents have been thrilled,

not to mention, SOMEBODY is buying them in increasing numbers. If they stop selling & I start to lose money, I'll bow out. Until then, I'm slamming the pedal to the floor.

Today, I'm working with four different publishers & creators on projects mainstream to obscure.

It's exciting.

Individually there is grousing about variants.

Collectively, the market wants them.

IPHow8e.jpg

If you don't like variants then don't buy variants! I honestly don't see how a few extra variants will stop you from enjoying the book if it's a good read. (shrug)

It can hinder the enjoyment of the story because some enjoy collecting and reading. By frustrating the collector you can turn away some readers.

not to mention, SOMEBODY is buying them in increasing numbers. If they stop selling & I start to lose money, I'll bow out. Until then, I'm slamming the pedal to the floor.

Today, I'm working with four different publishers & creators on projects mainstream to obscure.

It's exciting.

I was not referring to your program. If you doubt what I am saying then simply look at the CGC registry. I realize it is not the be all end all but it does give a large enough sample size to make a theory or two. Those titles with excessive variants are harder to collect. The harder to collect the less likely collectors are to try. Have a variant here and there or a couple for #1, anniversary issues etc is almost expected. Having 6 variants for every issue hinders the growth of the title on the secondary market.

How much influence does the secondary market have these days? If a collector is frustrated then how does that affect what they read? The market does not want variants. The secondary market is force fed variants. A collector will only jump through so many hoops.

It's exciting.

I was not referring to your program. If you doubt what I am saying then simply look at the CGC registry. I realize it is not the be all end all but it does give a large enough sample size to make a theory or two. Those titles with excessive variants are harder to collect. The harder to collect the less likely collectors are to try. Have a variant here and there or a couple for #1, anniversary issues etc is almost expected. Having 6 variants for every issue hinders the growth of the title on the secondary market.

How much influence does the secondary market have these days? If a collector is frustrated then how does that affect what they read? The market does not want variants. The secondary market is force fed variants. A collector will only jump through so many hoops.

The market does not want variants.

*shrug*

Then who the hell is buying these? ( like I said in increasing numbers )

It's exciting.

The market does not want variants.

*shrug*

Then who the hell is buying these? ( like I said in increasing numbers )

Force fed collectors and speculators. (thumbs u

I agree with all of Jeff's points, but to add to the question of secondary market importance I would say:

the secondary market is hugely important. When the secondary market velocity lags or collapses, it has a big knock-on effect on the primary market. Buzz moves books, and from primary to secondary market, any sort of bad buzz creates a domino effect back up the chain of sales.

Personally I like variants and I dont think "too many" is ever really the issue. It's when variants become very valuable and then collapse in value, that books are harmed by the negative momentum and buzz. Too many variants can lead to a collapse in the value of all variants on a title and in that way become the issue. I just think its the value and perception of value that is the key issue, not the number of them.

Number of variants is the second derivative of the problem not the problem itself :cool:

As for Larry's program, I think its great and it is giving people what they want and helping creators. I am glad its so successful for all involved. When it was first announced, I expressed my opinion that higher exclusivity(lower quantity) and higher price could be a better way to go long term for both the end purchasers(collectors) of the books and to become a permanent fixture of the market (not reaching a point where it no longer sells/makes a profit). I still think that's the case for any kind of variant program. But, selling what you can while you can, might be a better way to go from a primary vendors perspective. I'd probably view it that way if I were a producer also.

Edited by CBT

KISS

There is a tipping point for the number of variants. If a collector spends $500 on 100 variants @ $5 each or one variant @ $500 it is still $500 "investment" in a title. Show me the collector willing to spend $500 a month on a new title.

I agree with the effect on the primary market.

As for low quantity, meh

Making a book unavailable to the collecting world does nothing for nobody. Build it and they will come. ;)

I agree with all of Jeff's points, but to add to the question of secondary market importance I would say:

the secondary market is hugely important. When the secondary market velocity lags or collapses, it has a big knock-on effect on the primary market. Buzz moves books, and from primary to secondary market, any sort of bad buzz creates a domino effect back up the chain of sales.

Personally I like variants and I dont think "too many" is ever really the issue. It's when variants become very valuable and then collapse in value, that books are harmed by the negative momentum and buzz. Too many variants can lead to a collapse in the value of all variants on a title and in that way become the issue. I just think its the value and perception of value that is the key issue, not the number of them.

Number of variants is the second derivative of the problem not the problem itself :cool:

As for Larry's program, I think its great and it is giving people what they want and helping creators. I am glad its so successful for all involved. When it was first announced, I expressed my opinion that higher exclusivity(lower quantity) and higher price could be a better way to go long term for both the end purchasers(collectors) of the books and to become a permanent fixture of the market (not reaching a point where it no longer sells/makes a profit). I still think that's the case for any kind of variant program. But, selling what you can while you can, might be a better way to go from a primary vendors perspective. I'd probably view it that way if I were a producer also.

I expressed my opinion that higher exclusivity(lower quantity)

After years, I have finally been offered runs of 500 from Image. That's HUGE IMHO.

I have been producing smaller runs paired w regular Phantoms lately.

Enormous , Wayward, ect...

This week Godkiller only has a run of 610:

( I don't think that order was very helpful to the publisher. )

MFGr7tW.jpg

So (shameless self-promotion) I had the very cool opportunity to interview Scott last week about Wytches and some of this influences and his favorite witch stories. First part of the interview talking about his influences is up (http://13thdimension.com/the-13-greatest-witches-by-scott-snyder/) if anyone is interested, and there should be a second part more about the series next week

So (shameless self-promotion) I had the very cool opportunity to interview Scott last week about Wytches and some of this influences and his favorite witch stories. First part of the interview talking about his influences is up (http://13thdimension.com/the-13-greatest-witches-by-scott-snyder/) if anyone is interested, and there should be a second part more about the series next week

Very cool.

May I include this link in my weekly newsletter?

It goes to 4,500 Tuesday

Would $13 be a good price for Wytches #2 Phantom variant?

Most Phantom shops offer them at cover price for walk in customers.

Is there a shop near you?

One of the points of the program is to generate foot traffic for brick & mortar shops.

http://phantomvariant.com/blog/

The one in San Diego charges $10 usually.

What shop in SD ?

The link isn't working for me.