• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vault Grading?????????....huh?

857 posts in this topic

Vault grading is much more rigorous and buyer/collector friendly than than CGC and PGX. This graded comic is a true 9.4/Near Mint not a CGC/PGX 9.4 (which is more like an 8.5!)

So if I crack my CGC 9.4 and submit to Vault, it will get an 8.5...

And yet I remember reading, either in reviews posted on the Vault site or on another forum, that the reviewer submitted some CGC 8.0's - 8.5's and happily received higher grades from Vault in the 9.2 - 9.4 ranges. (shrug)

It seems the aggregate of hype regarding Vault Grading is consistent in its inconsistency.

My post and cell phone picture got reposted on another forum.

Wow, are you a hand model?

No, but I am a graduate of the Fingh School of Photography™.

You might want to re-enroll, it's feet, not hands. Never hands.

Bedrock obviously kept his nose in the books longer than Blowie.

IMG_0035.JPG

Vault grading is much more rigorous and buyer/collector friendly than than CGC and PGX. This graded comic is a true 9.4/Near Mint not a CGC/PGX 9.4 (which is more like an 8.5!)

So if I crack my CGC 9.4 and submit to Vault, it will get an 8.5...

And yet I remember reading, either in reviews posted on the Vault site or on another forum, that the reviewer submitted some CGC 8.0's - 8.5's and happily received higher grades from Vault in the 9.2 - 9.4 ranges. (shrug)

It seems the aggregate of hype regarding Vault Grading is consistent in its inconsistency.

ffdigi2 – December 19, 2013: Upped my grade from a 7.5 to 8.5 in less than a week. AWESOME.

BrookfieldFinancial – December 30, 2013: Thank you! Great service! The entire process was conducted online – didnt even have to ship my books :o

***The opinions expressed herein are those of our customers and are not reflective of any views of Vault Valuation LLC.

***Vault Grading encourages submitting books that retain a modicum of collectable value

I think it's unlikely that we'll ever see a truly legitimate competitor to CGC. Alll businesses need to seem legit, but one based on getting people to mail in their valuables along with a check seems like the legitimacy bar is set even higher. This means a real competitor would need to really come out swinging, not be something where you could start small and scale up from there. This means startup costs would be pretty substantial. This probably means investors. If you're a money guy, do you place your cash in a niche service for an arguably dying hobby? One where there is one BSD that pretty much owns the market, and the few attempts to compete have been failures?

I am certainly no expert, and I hope I'm wrong. I would love to see CGC face a real challenger. It just doesn't seem like something that will happen.

This sums it up very nicely. To start up a grading company properly would require a ton of cash, and there are too many red flags that would discourage investors. Niche market, nothing proprietary, strong competitor, and the company would have to bleed a lot of cash for the first few years until the market caught on before it would begin to break even.

Published standards so the submitter can evaluate their own book and expect a 9 and get an 8.5, 9, or a 9.2 and not a 7.5 which has happened to me. Since then I've bought the Overstreet grading guide 2nd edition and it still puzzles me how some grades have been given. I have 9.8's that should not be 9.8 and 9.8s that are perfect.

This would force consistency in grading. Computer scanning software (which would need development) to check for actual defects in paper, corners, etc which would not even take into account the general "look" of the cover (white more forgiving covers would be treated the same as black covers which show every tick), then page quality based on a scan from 1-100 where 100 is white/white. Then the human factor of the general look of the book. All of these numbers would be put on the rear of the label and show ALL graders notes along with quantifiable output. The front would be the sum of all the numbers depending on their overall weights.

You guys get the idea. I'm going on 48 hours zero sleep and I'm starting to see gremlins, but there is a way that a competitor could come into the market and compete or at least be an alternative. I keep thinking that DC or Marvel would come in and do their own grading and sell slabs rather than comics one day because they have the $ and could corner their own market for new books.

The one thing vault did have listed on their label was SMELL. I would LOVE to know the flexibility they had with that. Stinks to high hell? Fishy garbage odor?

Computer scanning software (which would need development) to check for actual defects in paper, corners, etc which would not even take into account the general "look" of the cover (white more forgiving covers would be treated the same as black covers which show every tick), then page quality based on a scan from 1-100 where 100 is white/white. Then the human factor of the general look of the book. All of these numbers would be put on the rear of the label and show ALL graders notes along with quantifiable output. The front would be the sum of all the numbers depending on their overall weights.

You guys get the idea.

Yep...may as well add warp drive and transporters to your future tech wish list while you're at it. :whee:

It fizzled as soon as the guy saw what we were saying and took down the website, to replace it with a "coming soon" type placeholder.

We probably won't see them back.

-slym

But if they took down their website how will I be able to submit books to them? (shrug)

It's possible they took down their site for the same reason the CBGC site quit taking submissions.

http://comicgrading.com/cgi-bin/cbgc.pl

DG

How does that work? You can't shut out competition just because you had the idea first. If that were the case, then Overstreet could have said "Hey, we put grades in our books so the idea that you want to professionally grade is competition we don't like" You can't patent an idea. Other companies have tried to stop competition like this and failed.

Computer scanning software (which would need development) to check for actual defects in paper, corners, etc which would not even take into account the general "look" of the cover (white more forgiving covers would be treated the same as black covers which show every tick), then page quality based on a scan from 1-100 where 100 is white/white. Then the human factor of the general look of the book. All of these numbers would be put on the rear of the label and show ALL graders notes along with quantifiable output. The front would be the sum of all the numbers depending on their overall weights.

You guys get the idea.

Yep...may as well add warp drive and transporters to your future tech wish list while you're at it. :whee:

Haaaa! The technology is there if you have the $ :)

It's possible they took down their site for the same reason the CBGC site quit taking submissions.

DG

How does that work? You can't shut out competition just because you had the idea first. If that were the case, then Overstreet could have said "Hey, we put grades in our books so the idea that you want to professionally grade is competition we don't like" You can't patent an idea. Other companies have tried to stop competition like this and failed.

You said "can't", but I think correct the word is "shouldn't".

A lawyer can send a cease and desist letter. The recipient can decide to respond by shutting down or hiring a layer. After that, it's more of an issue as to who wants to dig deeper into their pockets to spend money. The start-up with no revenue rolling in is at a disadvantage.

DG

DG

the site is probably lying

DG

the site is probably lying

There is probably more to this than we know. I would love for it to have been filed and pull the records and see the "why". If they hired their entire staff, reverse engineered their process and design, then yes there would be an issue. If they just want to grade comics; no issue. Coke can't tell Pepsi you can't make soda because we do.

DG

You seem to be assuming that the complaints that CGC have with CBGC are about the comic-book grading. We don't know what the complaints are, speculation and assumption are all one has to hang themselves by.

-slym