• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vault Grading?????????....huh?

857 posts in this topic

I'd bet our "Please Grade My..." section is better at grading than Vault as a company.

:)

-slym

I'm certain it is

But sometimes, it is also better at grading than CGC too. :baiting:

That is correct as well... Only difference is, cgc actually handles the books as this "other co" can give you grades via pictures , a la "please grade my ..." Forum section 2c

That's not exactly true. meh The other company will pre-grade your book via images you send them. Actually, that idea has lots of merit. Why send your book in for prescreening when they can prescreen the image you send (and it give you a reason to send the most accurate pictures possible)?

I agree. Vault's idea of offering a "pre-grade" that was not guaranteed from a picture is actually a good idea.

I remember having someone call me wanting to sell some CGC graded books about three years ago. He had about 50 books - all low grade, common late silver run books. I told him that it was unusual to see this type of material slabbed - the books were worth $5 or less apiece and slabbing them would have cost muc more than that. I asked if he bought them that way or if he (gulp) had them slabbed.

His reply was "they screwed the new guy - I had them slabbed". So certainly he could have benefited from "email us some pictures". Of course - if he had done some research - he could have posted those same pics up on the grading fourm here for free.

But as I've mentioned before - members of this forum are a tiny percentage of comic book collectors. A very knowledgeable and enthusiastic crowd for sure, but absolutely a tiny part of the hobby.

Pre-grade using scans is GREAT idea, if you are the one collecting the cash for the "service". lol

Any grading company that offers to look at scans and offer anything but the most rudimentary opinion should not be trusted. Collecting cash for looking at scans is in all likelihood a massive screw job.

I've got to say, I am having a hard time connecting your likening a "Prescreen Using Scans" service with someone submitting books for grading that aren't worth grading. A prescreen eliminates books below a certain grade, it has nothing to do with an opinion of whether or not they should be graded. Being that the situation you mention were all low grade books, the customer could have said "don't grade anything that is below X grade" and they would not have been graded. It's a specific grade set by the customer and not a "Is it worth grading" opinion.

That customer who sent the books to CGC sent enough of them at that he could have availed himself to the same service, but not in a scan. Grading a book by scan is for the "VG/Mint" crowd and not for people interested in accuracy.

Not the first time nor the last time that I completely agree with you on all accounts comix (thumbs u

I'd bet our "Please Grade My..." section is better at grading than Vault as a company.

:)

-slym

I'm certain it is

But sometimes, it is also better at grading than CGC too. :baiting:

That is correct as well... Only difference is, cgc actually handles the books as this "other co" can give you grades via pictures , a la "please grade my ..." Forum section 2c

That's not exactly true. meh The other company will pre-grade your book via images you send them. Actually, that idea has lots of merit. Why send your book in for prescreening when they can prescreen the image you send (and it give you a reason to send the most accurate pictures possible)?

I agree. Vault's idea of offering a "pre-grade" that was not guaranteed from a picture is actually a good idea.

I remember having someone call me wanting to sell some CGC graded books about three years ago. He had about 50 books - all low grade, common late silver run books. I told him that it was unusual to see this type of material slabbed - the books were worth $5 or less apiece and slabbing them would have cost muc more than that. I asked if he bought them that way or if he (gulp) had them slabbed.

His reply was "they screwed the new guy - I had them slabbed". So certainly he could have benefited from "email us some pictures". Of course - if he had done some research - he could have posted those same pics up on the grading fourm here for free.

But as I've mentioned before - members of this forum are a tiny percentage of comic book collectors. A very knowledgeable and enthusiastic crowd for sure, but absolutely a tiny part of the hobby.

Pre-grade using scans is GREAT idea, if you are the one collecting the cash for the "service". lol

Any grading company that offers to look at scans and offer anything but the most rudimentary opinion should not be trusted. Collecting cash for looking at scans is in all likelihood a massive screw job.

I've got to say, I am having a hard time connecting your likening a "Prescreen Using Scans" service with someone submitting books for grading that aren't worth grading. A prescreen eliminates books below a certain grade, it has nothing to do with an opinion of whether or not they should be graded. Being that the situation you mention were all low grade books, the customer could have said "don't grade anything that is below X grade" and they would not have been graded. It's a specific grade set by the customer and not a "Is it worth grading" opinion.

That customer who sent the books to CGC sent enough of them at that he could have availed himself to the same service, but not in a scan. Grading a book by scan is for the "VG/Mint" crowd and not for people interested in accuracy.

The newbie I spoke of thought his books were a lot nicer than 2.0-4.0. Had he known the likely grades, he wouldn't submit. A newbie that can't grade probably knows nothing about the prescreen service. Nor even what grade to prescreen at.

People on the forums grade books by scans - usually with rather remarkable accuracy I might add. Have you ever offered an opinion in the "please grade me" forum? If so, why - given the opinion you just stated? If not - well, OK. Your right, grading from pictures is iffy.

But you can usually tell a VG from a NM

VG/NM crowd. Funny!! :applause: Sort of how a lot of dealers graded books back in 1969

People on the forums grade books by scans - usually with rather remarkable accuracy I might add.

Sixty percent of the time we're right every time.

Could be more like 99% if more people used the VG/NM grade!

People on the forums grade books by scans - usually with rather remarkable accuracy I might add.

Sixty percent of the time we're right every time.

Could be more like 99% if more people used the VG/NM grade!

That scale worked for major national dealers up through the 80's.

Yes, I remember when trying to deal with a local shop back in the early 80's. What ever they had they were trying to sell me was pristine priceless and whatever I was trying to sell them was worthless junk and they were doing me a favor just to take it, but presto, next week my former worthless junk was now amazing pristine-priceless once it made it up on the wall of their store. Oh those were the days!

:boo:

Yeah, after paying more for a non-graded Avengers #4 a few years ago than it was worth, I refuse to buy ANY older book unless it's already been graded. The risk of getting screwed these days is so much greater now than than it was. I know some people argue CGC has taken some of the fun out of the hobby, but I'd argue they've taken out the risk of it.

The commander of the Vault grading bought these. I guess in a few day's they will be graded !!

comicart1 ( 95 *)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-37-Walking-Dead-Comics-92-117-All-9-issues-100-3-specials-/221349299380

I hope he didn't buy them from a paid CGC blogger.