• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

On 7/15/2021 at 2:50 PM, tbshay said:

I really want to get my copy slabbed (best guess 5.5) but i am terrified of mailing it. It's insured with CIS but every time I start getting it ready, I fail.  I also have a ASM#1 i want slabbed.  Any advice from my fellow club members?? 

You could always wait till they do that on-site grading and visit them at a con since we are mostly opening up and do both books I would do that specially if ur worried about mailing it no one better to transport it around than yourself 

11 hours ago, Krismusic said:

You could always wait till they do that on-site grading and visit them at a con since we are mostly opening up and do both books I would do that specially if ur worried about mailing it no one better to transport it around than yourself 

I only take my heavy hitters to when CGC or CBCS is on site doing their grading.  Pick them up same weekend

On 7/17/2021 at 5:32 PM, Chicago Boy said:

I only take my heavy hitters to when CGC or CBCS is on site doing their grading.  Pick them up same weekend

This is also what I would do...no worries about shipping damage or theft, and if there's an issue during slabbing you can get it addressed when you pick up the book.

On 7/20/2021 at 6:39 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Look, no offense but I don't think the purpose of this thread is live play-by-play of specific sellers' attempts to sell off their specific books.

I understand your position, but that was not my purpose. I know that there are people here that are looking for an AF #15, and I was just trying to provide some information in case they were seriously planning on buying one.

If it is bothersome to you, I will cease posting this type of information in this thread.

On 7/20/2021 at 8:47 PM, Math Teacher said:

I understand your position, but that was not my purpose. I know that there are people here that are looking for an AF #15, and I was just trying to provide some information in case they were seriously planning on buying one.

If it is bothersome to you, I will cease posting this type of information in this thread.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but AF 15s are not exactly in short supply.  Anyone who is looking for one knows where to go to find one ... they are all over the place.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I think it's fair to say that there's general interest in news about a copy that stands out for some reason -- either because it's a particularly high-grade example, or because it sells for a remarkably high (or low) price, etc.  Really any data on completed sales is generally welcomed as useful market insight.  And of course, everyone loves when somebody posts a copy from their own personal collection, regardless of the grade.  But for some reason you chose to announce the availability for sale of an unremarkable low-grade copy and then provide multiple updates on price drops for this particular book that, as far as I can tell, nobody else in the thread expressed any interest in.

I wasn't going to say anything, but after one person questioned why you were doing this -- and you responded with a defensive tone before continuing with the updates nobody asked for -- I felt I needed to speak up just to demonstrate that the other poster wasn't alone in wondering why you were insisting on pushing this book.

I hope that explains my thought process -- not trying to shut down the discussion but I do question the point of repeatedly advertising this particular copy.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

On 7/21/2021 at 9:11 PM, skyline23 said:

Here is my entrance into the club, I just got this today in the mail :)  I know some people prefer their silver age keys to be free of any signature, but I personally think with a lower grade, well-presenting copy like this (in my humble opinion. with lower grades beauty is in the eye of the beholder), with decent signature placement as well, (albeit not the prettiest Stan Lee signature I've ever seen),   it makes the book even more special. 

1812407714_Screenshot2021-07-215_46_44PM.thumb.png.b615c72c0a7e8679f9bfd418abde26ca.png

I agree. I don't own many signature series books, but having Stan sign an AF15 is pretty special. 

I take bigger issue with the hundreds (thousands?) of Lee signatures on books he never worked on. 

Congrats on joining the club. Beautiful copy! 

On 7/21/2021 at 10:03 PM, KCOComics said:

I take bigger issue with the hundreds (thousands?) of Lee signatures on books he never worked on.

Amen! I never understood the desire for Stan Lee to sign a copy of Amazing Spider-Man #300. Yes, Stan was a co-creator of Spider-Man, but he was long gone by the time ASM #300 came out.

On 7/22/2021 at 8:57 PM, Browns81 said:

Back in the early 90s, I recall reading this was a "25 thousand dollar book.". I'm assuming that would have been for a gem copy, is that more or less inline with what prices were 30 years ago?

That feels a bit high to me.  Possibly in line for a NM copy (I was never allowed to swim at that end of the pool). 

In the early 2000s you could still find really beautiful mid grade copies for under $5k.