• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

On 9/29/2021 at 12:33 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

I agree most of the time it is 10% or so.

sometimes its 10%, sometimes is 50%, sometimes more sometimes less....all markets are cyclical...my point is, $74K for a 4.5 af15, is, imo, crazy, but I will happily sell one today, at that price, if anyone wants to buy!

On 9/29/2021 at 12:43 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

I get it but AF15 is a top 3 book in a entire hobby. I doubt very much it will crash. Don't worry Gator people will buy just like they buy up 1952 Topps Mantle cards each day of the week. I remember selling off my PSA 4 figured I could buy another some day since prices where stable but now it is 80k to 100k and is not slowing down and never coming back to 12 500$. I learned from that mistake.

af15 has been a top 3 book in the hobby for 40+ years...I never said the market will crash, but there has always been price corrections after huge, non fundamental runups, as we have recently seen (look at xmen 1, it went up 300% and has fallen, in many grades, almost 100% from previous highs)...its just the nature of our hobby...but long term macro view, seems to be 2 steps forward, 1 step back...the trend has been "up" since day one, with some corrections (valleys) to the highs (peaks)

On 9/29/2021 at 1:20 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

As always time will tell. I will not be selling mine I will let others do the selling. There are not that many AF15 in 6.0 and higher maybe 200 copies. That is truly not much. Lower grades are more common so the prices may be corrected a bit more in that bracket but I don't expect it to be much. Same with X-Men 1 is is a common book in 8.0 and lower those prices will be more bumpier than say 9.0 and higher. But as you said long term they increase in value.

High grade has always behaved differently then lower grades. But they correct too. 

and don’t be naive, there are way more than 200 af15 in mid to high grade. I’ve seen hundreds of raw copies over the years that would cgc 6.0 and above (obviously some I’ve seen raw have been subsequently graded but many haven’t and that’s just what I’ve seen, there are likely1000s of raw af15s in collections, more lower grade for sure, but lots out there). 

On 9/29/2021 at 1:20 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

There are not that many AF15 in 6.0 and higher maybe 200 copies.

There are almost 300 graded, unrestored copies 6.0 and higher already in the CGC census and almost another 300 restored copies 6.0 and higher. (thumbsu

I LOVE and have loved Spiderman since I was about 9 years old - started with the cartoon and transitioned into the comics in the late 70's .... when I had funds, I bought not one, but THREE AF15's , because ..... just because I'm nuts. I have the first Spiderman!! I think about that about every 2 to 3 days all the time - my 10 year-old self is just so satisfied.

Oh, they are also worth a MINT right now. But my very first GA books - a few Actions between 30-50, have barely moved in price in almost 15 years, but I still so LOVE them

I'm saying, who really cares !?  I'm a collector, I only buy what I absolutely love, and I happen to be paper (or off-white paper :roflmao:) - rich at the moment, but I kinda care, but I kinda also don't care - at the moment anyway.

Love FISH from the Great White North 

Edited by fishbone

On 9/29/2021 at 1:34 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

That may be so but the market will absorb them since they would come out slowly I doubt they will all just come out in a single year. If it was another book I would sell but I have no worries for AF15. AF15 was not always a top 3 book if I remember right FF1 was the #1 SA book for a while. I could be wrong.

af15 has been the top silver age key since the 80's I believe...that's where I got the 40 years....FF1 was top in the 60s and 70s...but I opened my first "store"(it was a 10x20 storage unit I rented and sold comics on the weekends out of)  in 1985 and af15 has been the top requested SA book since at least then, and was so when I was buying in the early 80's as well...

Edited by G.A.tor

On 9/29/2021 at 1:52 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

Same here almost never sold a book in 40 years some here and there if I was only about the money I would have sold a lot more books. I simply appreciate AF15 and other top SA keys very much and understand there is huge demand for them and do not see it changing.

I have many of the top books and have zero interest in selling any of them unless it is to purchase a TEC book for my collection. If I was younger I would collect ASM for sure no questions asked.

Well, what I guess I'm really saying is, I would like more posts in this thread from former, current, or the best - new members - of the AF15 club. And I love seeing peoples books, and especially the stories behind how they got it and why.

I love talking about and analyzing prices, but there seems to be more of this lately, and less of the spirit of what the thread should, and I believe was meant, to be by the original creator of the thread.......

peace

On 9/29/2021 at 2:02 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

I understand will step aside let people post their books just got into to much with sale of the 9.6 did not mean to take over the topic. I am a collector at heart have been for many decades I rather own than sell.

all good friend, just trying to encourage our fellow owners to POST and brag .... let's go guys and gals !!  How about an OO who bought off the rack !!???? That would be crazy to hear from someone like that ............. 

On 9/29/2021 at 2:01 PM, da.amazing.spiderman said:
For myself, I was monitoring VERY CLOSELY the AF #15 (CGC 4.5 ; OW/W Pages) on Comiclink that just sold for $74K.

The reason I think is obvious by the attached photo of the AF #15 that I currently own. 

Both the Comiclink and my AF #15 are in CGC 4.5 condition...both have OW/W pages...both are aesthetically very similar in appearance...and most importantly both have NO Marvel Chipping (the Comiclink AF #15 did have some very minor pre-chipping).

Before the auction started on Comiclink for this AF #15, I told myself...

-  A hammer price under $50K = Very Disappointed
-  A hammer price between $50K to $60K = Ho Hum
-  A hammer price between $60K to 70K= Not Bad
-  A hammer price between $70K to 80K= Yeah Baby
-  A hammer price between $80K to $90K= To the Moon
-  A hammer price over $90K = I didn't think this would happen.  AF #15 in CGC 4.5 still needs a little more simmering.

In summary, I think if you own an AF#15 (any AF #15) you should be happy with the strength of the comic market for this puppy.

af15a.JPG

Cool looking 4.5 

On 9/29/2021 at 3:01 PM, da.amazing.spiderman said:
For myself, I was monitoring VERY CLOSELY the AF #15 (CGC 4.5 ; OW/W Pages) on Comiclink that just sold for $74K.

The reason I think is obvious by the attached photo of the AF #15 that I currently own. 

Both the Comiclink and my AF #15 are in CGC 4.5 condition...both have OW/W pages...both are aesthetically very similar in appearance...and most importantly both have NO Marvel Chipping (the Comiclink AF #15 did have some very minor pre-chipping).

Before the auction started on Comiclink for this AF #15, I told myself...

-  A hammer price under $50K = Very Disappointed
-  A hammer price between $50K to $60K = Ho Hum
-  A hammer price between $60K to 70K= Not Bad
-  A hammer price between $70K to 80K= Yeah Baby
-  A hammer price between $80K to $90K= To the Moon
-  A hammer price over $90K = I didn't think this would happen.  AF #15 in CGC 4.5 still needs a little more simmering.

In summary, I think if you own an AF#15 (any AF #15) you should be happy with the strength of the comic market for this puppy.

af15a.JPG

very attractive copy - congrats !

On 9/29/2021 at 4:14 PM, KCOComics said:

I think you'll get fewer and fewer posts like these as prices continue to move.  They've become investments and are being discussed as such.

And I'm not necessarily against that, as I enjoy the discussion and watching where prices go, but it is kind of sad to see normal collectors priced out of this book. 

Here is my copy that I've shared here before. I bought this here on the boards about a year ago because a great board member agreed to do a trade / cash deal for it. 

Even when I bought it, my intention was always to either upgrade or outright buy a better copy and own two. 

I'm kind of hoping we will see a correction of sorts and I can move into a 2.0ish copy, but I'm not holding my breath. I'll be perfectly content with this book if it's the only copy I ever own.  

IMG_20210311_093156457.jpg

congrats !!  from what I can see, a very nice presenting 0.5 

On 9/29/2021 at 4:34 PM, fishbone said:

congrats !!  from what I can see, a very nice presenting 0.5 

It's missing the back cover, which is the reason for the 0.5. I do have an original back cover I could marry or leaf cast, but I'm not in a rush to do that.  Right not, I'm just going to enjoy owning it. 

I am fortunate enough to have a 2.0 and  2.5 ss copy, both of which I think present pretty well for their grades (decent colors, no marvel chipping, no huge tears..I have been on the lookout of a higher grade copy in which I would consolidate these two into,  but curious from a pure "investment" perspective, what do people think typically does the best long term:  two lower grade copies like mine, or 1 low/midgrade copy (say a 4-5)? Or are there too many variables and randomness that there isn't really one right answer?

..Sorry to have yet another "investment" discussion, and if it makes a difference I would still want to consolidate to one higher grade copy regardless of what the consensus is, but just curious what people thought here...Also, if anyone has a 4-5 they are looking to sell (or perhaps trade :)) feel free to reach out :)

image.png.01960b56e87f788c94ba8343c98c883e.png