• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

On 1/10/2022 at 10:39 AM, peewee22 said:

Shut up Roy :baiting:56325FA1-37BE-47CA-BCC8-338EE5D28D97.thumb.jpeg.2276a0fbfe213d767e93acfce6c4160f.jpeg

On 1/10/2022 at 10:50 AM, Chief1332 said:

According to GPA, there are 32 copies of AF15 for sale, there may be single pages in that total.  That would be CGC graded copies only.  Pretty easy to find one and make a deal relative to the GA Mega keys.  There is 1 AC1 copy today, one coverless copy of BAT1, 0 copies of CAP1, and 1 copy of TEC27.  A solid argument could be made for supply pushing demand.

I don't think logic will work well on someone who opts to take a blurry photo of their computer monitor, with a phone, in order to post it to a website on a computer :D

The GA and SA megakeys are all great, drool-worthy books.  But there could be a faulty premise underlying some of the arguments, e.g., that dollar for dollar (up to the point you can no longer afford one book vs another), AC1, Bat1, Tec27, AF15, Supe1, Cap1, AF15, etc are all interchangeable for a collector with sufficient funds, even across ages of comics, with relative scarcity being the deciding factor.  That is simply not true.  There are collectors who are decidedly mainly a fan of one hero or the other, and this is more significant across ages (GA vs SA vs BA).  A diehard Spidey fan given $750K would buy the next AF15 in 8.5, not a Bat1 or AC1 or Cap1.  For example, I could have sought out a Bat1 or Supe1 before AF15 (or IH1!) but went with what I wanted in my PC at the time.  Of course, since we are talking about significant funds, it mattered to me whether those SA books would appreciate, but I was confident that they would.  That was enough for me, whether or not a Bat1 or Supe1 (or any other GA book) could/would appreciate more.  I'm glad that AF15 and IH1 appreciated just fine during the relevant time period, but that is just icing on the cake.  The collecting preference is the main point, but even a pure investor would have done well with AF15 and IH1.  

We see this all the time.  Folks dropping serious coin like $80K or $264K for their BA grails in 9.8 before even trying to get what the posters above presume would be a preferable GA key (due to low census) or even SA key. The fact that the GA icons remain more expensive grade to grade certainly attests to the enduring popularity of those GA heroes (or maybe it's just the book's status as a grail?) coupled with the very low census pops, but "enduring" does not equate to "increasing."  More importantly, that is not inconsistent with AF15's popularity ensuring lofty valuation regardless of relative census pops.  We have experience with the valuations of IH181, GSXM1, etc.   

If all of the books being discussed had the same census pops, wouldn't AF15 run away with it?  But we don't need to theorize so much.  As noted previously, even using actual census pops, AF15 might have already surpassed Cap1 in high grade, at least in 8.5.  AF15 in 8.5 in September 2021 ($707K) doubled what a Cap1 in 8.5 fetched in January 2021 ($384K), despite there being 12 blue AFs in 8.5 vs 3 blue Cap1s in 8.5.  And that merely continued what has been going on since 2009, when AF15 in 8.5 also sold for significantly more than a Cap1 in same grade ($104.5K vs $95.6K). 

Time will tell, but whatever the current price disparity between AF15 and the GA heavyweights in the lower grades (an AF15 in 2.0 is still "only" a $38,400 book), AF15 in high grade is shaping up into quite a contender.  And that is where the big boys play, right?

Edited by Pantodude

On 1/10/2022 at 9:53 AM, Sauce Dog said:

I don't think logic will work well on someone who opts to take a blurry photo of their computer monitor, with a phone, in order to post it to a website on a computer :D

You calling me a dummy?:arguing:

Edited by peewee22

I'm reading with interest all the comments regarding the values of golden age super keys vs AF15. I'm not arguing one way or another, I like all those golden age heroes plus Spiderman (though he is my favorite). I will add this though, AF15 seems to be a book that many collectors can dream of having as the lower grades are getting higher but not totally out of reach. For me personally and I'm sure most collectors,  getting one of those golden age super keys is not a reality and we know it.  

On 1/10/2022 at 12:04 PM, Cushing Fan said:

I'm reading with interest all the comments regarding the values of golden age super keys vs AF15. I'm not arguing one way or another, I like all those golden age heroes plus Spiderman (though he is my favorite). I will add this though, AF15 seems to be a book that many collectors can dream of having as the lower grades are getting higher but not totally out of reach. For me personally and I'm sure most collectors,  getting one of those golden age super keys is not a reality and we know it.  

Right.  Whatever gains AF15 is making on GA greats, and whether or not their appreciation is slowing relative to AF15 (I dunno if someone has looked into that), they are still appreciating, and their values are likely never coming down to levels mere mortals can enjoy.  It seems all of them are getting more valuable too quickly. :sorry: 

On 1/10/2022 at 9:04 AM, Cushing Fan said:

Most of this discussion is happening in the abstract.  There may be, but I doubt there's a poster here who would be in the competition for a top-grade Golden Age like the ones we're discussing or even an AF 15.  If you do have a few million to throw at a comic book, :golfclap:

Edited by MattTheDuck

On 1/10/2022 at 8:42 AM, Chief1332 said:

How many copies of AF15 traded hands last year?  The past 5 years?

How many copies of AC1, Bat1, Cap1, TEC27 traded hands last year?

Very little opportunity for any collector to get one of those GA Mega keys.  Comparably, lots of opportunity to score an AF15.  For many, those GA books are virtually unobtainable whereas the AF15 could be had for a fraction of the price.

It’s because of cost and those who have them only sell to small circle of collectors . That’s BS. You can score AF15 1.0 for 25K+ peanuts right?  For average person that’s ludicrous  . Some of these statements to me defy logic . That’s a new car paid in cash for a beater . Is that really opportunity . If AF15 existed during WW2 they went on paper confiscation trip destroying all the comics with it where would AF15 be? 

Edited by Subby1938

On 1/10/2022 at 7:24 PM, Subby1938 said:

It’s because of cost and those who have them only sell to small circle of collectors . That’s BS. You can score AF15 1.0 for 25K+ peanuts right?  For average person that’s ludicrous  . Some of these statements to me defy logic . That’s a new car paid in cash for a beater . Is that really opportunity . If AF15 existed during WW2 they went on paper confiscation trip destroying all the comics with it where would AF15 be? 

Some guys on here are so loaded with cash they can buy an AF 15 without thinking twice so it doesn't seem rare to them, it's not rare, it's expensive and will continue to climb 

On 1/10/2022 at 6:42 PM, Kevin76 said:

Some guys on here are so loaded with cash they can buy an AF 15 without thinking twice so it doesn't seem rare to them, it's not rare, it's expensive and will continue to climb 

Yeah there are lots of “rewarded risk takers” in the financial world. Bitcoin esp. 7 figures for a comic is a “I can so I will” attitude. Don’t mean this negative but it’s happening in these times.

On 1/10/2022 at 7:24 PM, Subby1938 said:

Not sure I follow you. 

Aren't we talking about the most valuable books in the hobby? So yes, the top books don't change hands often because of cost and scarcity. That's what everyone has been saying. 

Yes, AF15 is a very expensive book in all grades. $27k for a 1.0 is insane.  An incredible book for one of the greatest comic characters ever created.  

It's not as rare as those other books and I don't personally think it will ever catch the big 2.  It may creep into the big 5 some day...and it may not.  

On 1/11/2022 at 5:37 AM, Jaydogrules said:

Until another comic book sells for more PUBLICLY (no, alleged "private sales" do not count, no matter how many guys try to jump on here to personally  validate it) that surpasses the sale price from late last year, AF 15 already IS the #1 book in the hobby, full stop.  

-J.

Unassailable logic.

On 1/11/2022 at 4:37 AM, Jaydogrules said:

Until another comic book sells for more PUBLICLY (no, alleged "private sales" do not count, no matter how many guys try to jump on here to personally  validate it) that surpasses the sale price from late last year, AF 15 already IS the #1 book in the hobby, full stop.  

-J.

Even if that top number is surpassed, AF 15 might still be the top book by maket cap (every copy multiplied by its individual value, then summed). 

It's similar to the Wanger/Mantle debate in cards. The PSA 8 T206 Wagner might, might, be the most valuable single card, but the population and value of all Wangers is dwarfed by the 52 Mantle.

On 1/11/2022 at 5:37 AM, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

Oh come on.  I won't even begin with the rest of the comment.

So because HA bought the AF15 9.6 for the most amount of money and the buyer is HA the sale counts but if Dinesh buys a book out of Vinny's vault and never sees the auction it doesn't count?

On 1/10/2022 at 11:05 PM, KCOComics said:

Not sure I follow you. 

Aren't we talking about the most valuable books in the hobby? So yes, the top books don't change hands often because of cost and scarcity. That's what everyone has been saying. 

Yes, AF15 is a very expensive book in all grades. $27k for a 1.0 is insane.  An incredible book for one of the greatest comic characters ever created.  

It's not as rare as those other books and I don't personally think it will ever catch the big 2.  It may creep into the big 5 some day...and it may not.  

The only reason they have as much value is  because 99% of them were recycled for the war effort. If the POP was larger the price would be lower . Regardless the point was if this had happened to AF15 there wouldn’t be a conversation about this. It’s still out selling all the others no matter what comes to market including single pages . As a whole the popularity and demand is huge. 

Golden age has demand but you need back door to even get a sniff of one of those books. Not for me thanks 

Edited by Subby1938