• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

On 1/13/2022 at 1:19 PM, Pantodude said:

Me too. I play devil's advocate often, but I was expecting anything with the AC1, so a bit underwhelming, agreed.  The AF15 is significantly higher than just last month, so is that really underwhelming ($252K vs $241.5K)?

That AF 15 was on sale locally about a year ago for less than half of that sale price. I tried to buy it and failed. Not a bad return for 12 months of zero work.

On 1/13/2022 at 11:34 AM, october said:

That AF 15 was on sale locally about a year ago for less than half of that sale price. I tried to buy it and failed. Not a bad return for 12 months of zero work.

did you forget your wallet?

Edited by NoMan

Say it ain't so!  Hope no one here fell for this.  I would say no one period, but too late for that.  

715073762_Screenshot(543).thumb.png.84e0a4a6cd72ab60d0654299b4022e69.png

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403396644205?hash=item5dec504d6d%3Ag%3AISEAAOSwCRRh11RL&autorefresh=true&nma=true&si=BIn%2B3a60FHAmfP%2BDYTQs23IL3jM%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Edited by Pantodude

On 1/13/2022 at 2:14 PM, Pantodude said:

So AC1 fights back!  That's 10x its $317K in 2009.  Respectable. :devil:

I understand and respect what you're trying to do but the available data is too sparse to do the task justice.

And I'm not in any way directing this next comment at you specifically ... I'll just say that one reason this thread has become such a mess has been the wildly inconsistent and confusing language different posters are using to try to compare books across two different eras.  Are we talking about which book is more valuable in identical grade?  ROI over the past X years?  Projected ROI going forward?  Demand?  Popularity?  "Importance"?  I get the distinct sense that some folks don't know how to articulate a clear, specific point and that some others aren't bothering to try, it's too much fun just posting crazy talk and seeing how people react.

I'm not sure a meaningful discussion can be had under those circumstances.  But I will say that the only question in all of this that genuinely interests me is the question of which book might be the better investment (i.e. give the best ROI).  But if we're going to go there, it will be easy to pull examples of books that we know are not nearly as "important" or "influential" or "key" or "in demand" that have shown even bigger returns than either AF 15 or AC 1.  Anybody checked out what ultra high grade copies of Marvel Spotlight #5 are doing these days?

On 1/13/2022 at 1:47 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I understand and respect what you're trying to do but the available data is too sparse to do the task justice.

And I'm not in any way directing this next comment at you specifically ... I'll just say that one reason this thread has become such a mess has been the wildly inconsistent and confusing language different posters are using to try to compare books across two different eras.  Are we talking about which book is more valuable in identical grade?  ROI over the past X years?  Projected ROI going forward?  Demand?  Popularity?  "Importance"?  I get the distinct sense that some folks don't know how to articulate a clear, specific point and that some others aren't bothering to try, it's too much fun just posting crazy talk and seeing how people react.

I'm not sure a meaningful discussion can be had under those circumstances.  But I will say that the only question in all of this that genuinely interests me is the question of which book might be the better investment (i.e. give the best ROI).  But if we're going to go there, it will be easy to pull examples of books that we know are not nearly as "important" or "influential" or "key" or "in demand" that have shown even bigger returns than either AF 15 or AC 1.  Anybody checked out what ultra high grade copies of Marvel Spotlight #5 are doing these days?

Yeah a 9.6 copy sold today for $84,000!? :Rocket:(:

On 1/13/2022 at 4:47 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Right, hence the specificity of my post. I don't think I could have been any more specific w/o boring even myself, which is nigh impossible!  I also deliberately did not address books "not nearly as 'important' or 'influential'", limiting the comparison to AF15 vs AC1, Cap1, Tec27.  I agree that straying beyond those foundational books too much could make the discussion untenable (and unwieldy).  But sticking with AF15 vs AC1, Cap1, Tec27 in terms of ROI, I've just highlighted enough data (on a grade to grade basis and over a clear time frame) to show that we could start a meaningful discussion, if folks want to do that.  That was the goal in case the results surprised folks, despite the writing having been on the wall for a while.  I love all the books in question (including MS5, btw), and they're all gonna do fine.  So it's all a fun exercise.        

Edited by Pantodude
typo

On 1/13/2022 at 4:47 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

It's hard to speculate,  but I think the time frame is important. 

Historically,  AF15 has gone through periods of extraordinary growth followed by years of stagnation.  We saw that in 2008 (though the larger economic down turn likely factored into that) and we saw it after about 2017. 

So if you had $3.2M to spend on a comic today,  if your plan was to sell it in 3 years,  AC1 may be a better bet. If it was 10 years,  perhaps the AF15? 

If I had 7 figures to spend on a comic and it had to be an investment (meaning not a long term fixture in my collection) I would pick the AC1.

AF15 has extraordinary demand and it would be my choice over any comic, with the exception of AC1 and Tec27.  I just think scarcity and demand will make AC1 a little less vulnerable to market volatility. 

On 1/14/2022 at 11:05 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

that's a DAMN fine looking 5.5

On 1/15/2022 at 12:00 AM, Math Teacher said:

Is it my imagination, or is there a tear along the right-hand edge of the front cover, where the smoke or clouds are?

af1.thumb.PNG.e359093a63f20dde77029c20803e08b9.PNG

af2.thumb.PNG.7b6331095a043b67640434cca364238d.PNG

Where does this book finally stop at?

A 1.0 for $29,000

A 2.5 for $45,000+

A 5.5 for  $135,000+ (tonights Heritage)

Is there a ceiling on this book?

If there is - we have to be pretty damn close to it surely?

The amount of 'normal folk' (ie not the super-rich) who now have $100,000+ tied up in a 'funny book' have to be seriously considering selling.

If I'm a normal working-class guy / gal and my comic is now worth $250,000 - then that's a life / retirement changing pile of bills.

I think we might see a heap of AF #15's hit the market from long-term collectors who simply can't afford to turn their nose up at that kind of money. 

Edited by Beige