• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

On 2/2/2022 at 10:43 AM, DST said:

The sale price was corrected to $120k but for awhile was showing as $132k.

C3B340FD-BD38-48CF-8BEA-D5FB27593F84.jpeg.e9eb0cc8bddc4befab09fab1937bded0.jpeg

I’m not getting into a debate with you regarding page quality.  You’ve beat that drum to death over the years.  

tbh i blocked that guy years ago. he says nothing else. 

Heritage site does now reflect the corrected $120K (incl BP) for the AF15 5.5 White sale on 1/14/22, and we have the AF15 5.5 C/OW (w/ CVA sticker) on ComicLink that sold for $117K on 1/17/22, and that's it as far as I know for 2022.  But did Heritage notify anyone (like those who were tracking that AF15 5.5) of the correction?  I didn't get any email despite Heritage always sending updates on tracked items.  Now I wonder whether I am unaware of any other corrected sales for a big book (any title)?   

If it weren't for the folks who kindly share sales-related updates, I wouldn't have known.  Apparently, even GPA  @gpanalysis still doesn't!  So thank you. 

Edited by Pantodude

On 2/2/2022 at 7:48 PM, Iceman399 said:

You won't find anyone who says I won't buy a book unless it's CR/OW. 

Are you sure about that? :baiting: There HAS to be someone, somewhere that said it. :blush:

On 2/3/2022 at 10:53 AM, Pantodude said:

Heritage site does now reflect the corrected $120K (incl BP) for the AF15 5.5 White sale on 1/14/22, and we have the AF15 5.5 C/OW (w/ CVA sticker) on ComicLink that sold for $117K on 1/17/22, and that's it as far as I know for 2022.  But did Heritage notify anyone (like those who were tracking that AF15 5.5) of the correction?  I didn't get any email despite Heritage always sending updates on tracked items.  Now I wonder whether I am unaware of any other corrected sales for a big book (any title)?   

If it weren't for the folks who kindly share sales-related updates, I wouldn't have known.  Apparently, even GPA  @gpanalysis still doesn't!  So thank you. 

I just noticed that as well that GPA still reflects the AF15 5.5 sale as $132k even though it was corrected on the HA site to $120k

AF15GPA.thumb.jpg.785a1711e7db7e7ab60cd4b388cb96cf.jpg

I too wonder if that error impacted any of the sales that took place after 1/14  doh!

Edited by DST

On 2/3/2022 at 9:13 AM, DST said:

I just noticed that as well that GPA still reflects the AF15 5.5 sale as $132k even though it was corrected on the HA site to $120k

AF15GPA.thumb.jpg.785a1711e7db7e7ab60cd4b388cb96cf.jpg

I too wonder if that error impacted any of the sales that took place after 1/14  doh!

i know the exact sales price is important, but  the bigger picture here is that this book just sold for 50% more than the last two sales in december 2021, just one month prior. this book went from 80k to 120k in a single month. 

it's patently obvious that white pages had a massive impact on this price along with great presentation overall (the owwp copy that sold for 78k in dec had chipping, the 82k copy did not).  the next sale of a 5.5 c/ow copy should be illuminating. i suspect it will not reach 120k. although this book continues to skyrocket in all grades.

Patently?  I dunno, unless you have blinders on?  The prior high for a 4.5 during all of 2021 was C/OW for 84K on 10/31, four months after a 6/23 sale for $51K, which was a whopping >60% jump, and it remained the all-time record after three additional 4.5 sales to end 2021. (shrug)  And in 5.5, that recent C/OW on ComicLink for $117K had a CVA sticker, but even w/o it, it was clear it presented well.  It didn't surprise me that the ComicLink book also sold for near the current record for a 5.5 ($120K).  So again, as some folks noted above, there is no clear trend suggesting "massive" PQ bumps in recent sales, at least certainly not in the 4.5 and now also 5.5 grades.  Regardless of which key, in higher grades a PQ bump could be expected to be more consistent b/c there are otherwise fewer differences btwn books. And then there's market inefficiency, which could explain any surprises.  So broad, definitive statements could be tricky.    

Just something folks should be aware of, especially since all books in a given grade, regardless of PQ, should enjoy the same return on investment.  The moral of the story appears to be, if you've been hunting for a must-have blue chip book for your PC and find a nice book for the grade (especially mid- to lower-grades), just grab it in a sustainable rising market.  You can always sell/trade later to upgrade (be it the technical grade, the PQ, or anything else about the book), if that's your thing.  

Edited by Pantodude

On 2/3/2022 at 2:51 PM, Pantodude said:

Patently?  I dunno, unless you have blinders on?  The prior high for a 4.5 during all of 2021 was C/OW for 84K on 10/31, four months after a 6/23 sale for $51K, which was a whopping >60% jump, and it remained the all-time record after three additional 4.5 sales to end 2021. (shrug)  And in 5.5, that recent C/OW on ComicLink for $117K had a CVA sticker, but even w/o it, it was clear it presented well.  It didn't surprise me that the ComicLink book also sold for near the current record for a 5.5 ($120K).  So again, as some folks noted above, there is no clear trend suggesting "massive" PQ bumps in recent sales, at least certainly not in the 4.5 and now also 5.5 grades.  Regardless of which key, in higher grades a PQ bump could be expected to be more consistent b/c there are otherwise fewer differences btwn books. And then there's market inefficiency, which could explain any surprises.  So broad, definitive statements could be tricky.    

Just something folks should be aware of, especially since all books in a given grade, regardless of PQ, should enjoy the same return on investment.  The moral of the story appears to be, if you've been hunting for a must-have blue chip book for your PC and find a nice book for the grade (especially mid- to lower-grades), just grab it in a sustainable rising market.  You can always sell/trade later to upgrade (be it the technical grade, the PQ, or anything else about the book), if that's your thing.  

It was one person, not "some folks" and they've been arguing about PQ every chance they get for years.  But if you want to join their camp by all means.  "Your thing" seems to be provocation and the need to argue anyway, so you'd fit right in!

And thank you for once again explaining to me the moral of the story Panto-Dad.  Your condescending and in no way off-putting opinion is (as always) the right one(worship)

Edited by DST

On 2/3/2022 at 1:51 PM, Pantodude said:

The moral to my story is some people think page quality is very important, while other people don't. I think it's time to stop beating a dead horse and move on.

On 2/4/2022 at 8:42 AM, DST said:

It was one person, not "some folks" and they've been arguing about PQ every chance they get for years.  But if you want to join their camp by all means.  "Your thing" seems to be provocation and the need to argue anyway, so you'd fit right in!

And thank you for once again explaining to me the moral of the story Panto-Dad.  Your condescending and in no way off-putting opinion is (as always) the right one(worship)

Come on, DST.  I've always agreed the PQ argument for a premium makes sense in the right circumstances.  I'm just wired to react to overly broad, over-reaching statements some folks like to make.  If the data doesn't support it, readers of these posts -- especially newcomers to the hobby -- should know that.  That's all.  I really have no beef with you or Alexgross.  It's just with these kind of seemingly self-interested statements.  I have WP books, but they look really good, too, for reasons unrelated to page quality, so I expect they'll get top dollar, just like you do.  But not "automatically" due to white pages.  I mean, at every opportunity, Alexgross reacts to a sale of a WP book with "of course, the WP had a lot do with...."  Talk about beating a dead horse. 

I never ask anyone to stop repeating themselves, even when their comments seem more like self-interested statements by those in your "camp."  Live and let live.  But I don't drink the Kool-Aid, so if I am aware of countervailing data, I will share it with the boards so they can decide for themselves in an informed way.  That's still legal in this country, right?   Anyway, I agree. Time to move on.  

Edited by Pantodude

On 2/4/2022 at 11:33 AM, Pantodude said:

Come on, DST.  I've always agreed the PQ argument for a premium makes sense in the right circumstances.  I'm just wired to react to overly broad, over-reaching statements some folks like to make.  If the data doesn't support it, readers of these posts -- especially newcomers to the hobby -- should know that.  That's all.  I really have no beef with you or Alexgross.  It's just with these kind of seemingly self-interested statements.  I have WP books, but they look really good, too, for reasons unrelated to page quality, so I expect they'll get top dollar, just like you do.  But not "automatically" due to white pages.  I mean, at every opportunity, Alexgross reacts to a sale of a WP book with "of course, the WP had a lot do with...."  Talk about beating a dead horse. 

I never ask anyone to stop repeating themselves, even when their comments seem more like self-interested statements by those in your "camp."  Live and let live.  But I don't drink the Kool-Aid, so if I am aware of countervailing data, I will share it with the boards so they can decide for themselves in an informed way.  That's still legal in this country, right?   Anyway, I agree. Time to move on.  

If "feelings" translate into somebody paying more for a book whether it be page quality,  eye appeal etc that is just wonderful.  Just be hopeful that when it comes time to sell the book that there is another person with that "feeling" that shares your opinion and "pays up".  

Honestly,  I really appreciate the data and information @Pantodude brings to this debate, even if my opinion is more aligned with @alexgross.com and @DST

I think we all agree grade is the biggest factor in determining price. And right now,  this book is so hot, alot of the normal variables might have less importance.  People will overpay for a book with poorer PQ just to ensure they get a copy.  Even still,  if two identical AF 15s are for sale on the same date in the same venue,  I'm sure the one with the nicer pages will command more. 

I also think page is a bigger factor in a normal market when buyers can be more selective.  And this is exactly why! 

On 2/2/2022 at 7:48 PM, Iceman399 said:

The second a number of buyers say "I won't buy anything unless it's White pages" means white pages sells for more.  You won't find anyone who says I won't buy a book unless it's CR/OW. 

Time is money.

There is a segment of buyers who prefer better PQ. They will pay more to get it or at least be more selective about the books they buy. WP will always have more demand and lower supply. 

And looking only at sales data doesn't paint a full picture, because outside of grade and PQ, we don't know the other variables. Chipping, faded covers, pieces missing. 

On 2/4/2022 at 3:40 PM, KCOComics said:

Even still,  if two identical AF 15s are for sale on the same date in the same venue,  I'm sure the one with the nicer pages will command more. 

The funny thing here is that I have never disagreed with that statement!  To the contary, I'm pretty sure I expressed that exact sentiment (about otherwise identical books) repeatedly on this thread.  Like I've said, market inefficiency.  But some folks (not you, of course) are just too defensive about what the data shows.  DATA!  It's not supposed to get personal. Hopefully, no more polarizing comments that some guy is in a "camp."  Bully tactics, like in middle school?  Oh boy.  I don't know the guy DST referred to above and prefer not to prejudge anyone. 

We are all in the same camp of loving this hobby (and perhaps money, too!).       

Edited by Pantodude