• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

On 9/19/2022 at 2:43 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

Restored books don't count  lol  

On 10/5/2022 at 4:24 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

If people hold the line and refuse to sell low people will be forced to pay the asking price but that will be hard to get done with auctions. AF15 will be fine people acting like the book is the plague is not going to last. Good time to be young and a buyer at this point in time. If I had a lot of time ahead of me I would be buying up some deals for sure. That also includes sports cards now as well.

I disagree with this because vintage sports cards are still selling pretty well and at prices I wouldn't even want to touch if I were a collector. The modern cards have taken a slight dip, but in my opinion still too high.

I think the better value right now is  NES/SNES sealed video games because prices seem to be back to their pre-covid levels as well as TCG cards.

On 10/5/2022 at 7:24 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

If people hold the line and refuse to sell low people will be forced to pay the asking price but that will be hard to get done with auctions. AF15 will be fine people acting like the book is the plague is not going to last. Good time to be young and a buyer at this point in time. If I had a lot of time ahead of me I would be buying up some deals for sure. That also includes sports cards now as well.

The "problem" with these bigger SA keys is there are allot of them relatively speaking. 

AC1 and Tec27 are rare enough that when one comes to market, every collector is aware of it and watches for the final hammer. The small pool of real buyers are very focused on those sales driving up prices. 

There are thousands of AF15s and many platforms to sell them. Every monthly auction has multiple copies in multiple grades. The demand is still huge of course, but it's just not realistic for sellers to demand higher prices when there are so many available in different settings. 

On 10/7/2022 at 11:40 AM, Batmanis#1 said:

For AF15 I have always said owning a 6.0 or higher is best place to be. It puts you in the top 10-15% grade wise. The lower grades are much more common but they still have done well over the years.

6.0 and below is undesirable. You really want 7.0 and higher. 

Edited by NoMan

I recently completed my ASM run with a copy of #1.  Woo-friggin-hoo for me.

Sadly AF 15 at half the current prices would be about the only thing that pries open my wallet to buy a copy.  Sad, but as much as I'd love to own one, I more love having that enormous amount of money. : )  It was just a couple of years ago when I considered (for first time) plunking down my dollars for a copy - but that same month the prices skyrockets - I'd been eyeballing a 4.0 or 4.5 for around $15-18000.  What a laugh, right?

But I totally thrill on the idea of never owning a copy if helps y'all get a better price for your copies - I'm not hoping that the AF 15 market crashes or anything, just observing my place in the Amazing Fantasy Fifteen arena.  Shoulda coulda woulda.

On 10/7/2022 at 1:46 PM, grebal said:

But I totally thrill on the idea of never owning a copy if helps y'all get a better price for your copies - I'm not hoping that the AF 15 market crashes or anything

Thanks for taking one for the team! Congrats on ASM 1. Where did you get it?

On 10/7/2022 at 1:43 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

How about a restored AF15?

Could totally see that happening.   Nothing extensive of course (i.e. 'frankenstein' books), but that ASM I got is missing an ad page, and a bit of magic marker on cover does not impress me ("color touch" under most definitions).

I know a missing page is not same as resto, but the same basic idea of 'damaged goods.'

Just some clarification in light of some comments above.  Starting at 6.0, the # of universal AF15s shrinks to double-digits (as in only 79 total, top 12.9% of census), with fewer in each higher grade.  So, if one is looking for a cutoff for the honor of being "less common," 6.0 appears to be a reasonable start.  

Edited by Pantodude

On 10/7/2022 at 4:10 PM, Pantodude said:

Just some clarification in light of some comments above.  Starting at 6.0, the # of universal AF15s shrinks to double-digits (as in only 79 total, top 12.9% of census), with fewer in each higher grade up.  So, if one is looking for a cutoff for the honor of being "less common," 6.0 appears to be a reasonable start.  

There are 79 total, in 6.0? Plus any from that other grading company? 

So there are still hundreds of copies available in 6.0 or above. 

Of course higher grade copies are rarer, but they still come up for sale frequently. Multiple times a month in multiple venues.  My point being, it's impossible to manipulate the market by sellers simply demanding higher prices, when you have so many copies for sale at different times.  

Original Art is different. There are fewer sellers and they can often demand the prices they want. There is a page that a popular dealer is selling, that I would love to buy. He's asking many multiples of what comparable pages go for... But it is truly the only one in existence.... And if I want it badly enough, it's not likely to get cheaper or be put up for auction.

But that's one of one. Not one of thousands. If a seller is asking to much for a SA or BA comic, I simply go check eBay or dealer sites or the four big auction sites.  The true market price is more easily obtained. 

On 10/7/2022 at 4:24 PM, KCOComics said:

There are 79 total, in 6.0? Plus any from that other grading company? 

Yup, plus a whole 3 (three) more from that other grading company, for a grand total of 82 grade 6.0 slabs, plus only 50 total in the higher grades (6.5-10.0) at that other company, to be added to CGC's #s.  Just clarifying the slab numbers.  Not really part of the discussion you folks are having above, as tempting as it is.  :foryou:

image.thumb.png.24b7f0318f21625472eb72a9d5c4458a.png

Edited by Pantodude
better pic

On 10/7/2022 at 1:56 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

All SA books have grade rarity at a certain point for me that point is 6.0 and higher for AF15. That is all I meant. We all know GA books are rarer in general compared to SA books.

Just giving you a tough time. I know your 6.0 is up. GLWTS!

On 10/7/2022 at 5:04 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

Mine is a 6.5 (some said here that it could easily pass as a 7.0 but that I don't know I am not a grading expert I just purchased it because it looked nice to me) but anyone here that owns one should be happy they do and if they are young they should hold on the cold period will pass. I am in no rush with my sale will wait for the price I have in mind otherwise will pass and just keep waiting. This is not a book anyone should be in a rush to just get rid of.

Is yours a newsstand? 

On 10/7/2022 at 6:23 PM, Math Teacher said:

I currently have a 2.5. If I had been smart, I would have sold it for $50,000+ at the peak of the frenzy, and in turn, I could now use that money to purchase a 4.5 - 5.0.

Has my book decreased in value? It most certainly has. Am I worried? I couldn't be less worried than I already am. I have no intention of selling this book during my lifetime. My wife and my children can sell it whenever I pass on, and they will have to pay no taxes on the sale.

However, it is still worth more than double what I paid for it. And, for the record, I have an AF #15 CGC 2.5. Not a lot of people can say that they have an AF 15 in any grade. Low grade is better than no grade.

If you had sold it you would have had capital gains tax, but I don’t know, could you have still bought the 4.0 now ??