• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

On 8/31/2022 at 12:41 AM, Crowzilla said:

Steve Ditko's copies of Fantasy 15, Spidey 1-38 and Annual #s 1 & 2, will be coming to auction in November. They will receive “The Steve Ditko Collection” certification by CGC.

What auction house?

On 8/31/2022 at 11:10 AM, NoMan said:

What auction house?

I am not exactly sure but Heritage handled the first round of them. Based on how high those went, These will be well above market.

asm27 dikto.jpeg

Edited by PKJ

On 8/31/2022 at 10:53 AM, PKJ said:

I am not exactly sure but Heritage handled the first round of them. Based on how high those went, These will be well above market.

asm27 dikto.jpeg

I’m sorry sir but I forgot my HA password (yet again) so as can’t see what this book sold for. Might you help a brother out? Thanks in advance

On 8/31/2022 at 12:03 PM, Dark Knight said:

Interesting choice to auction Ditko's books as opposed to auctioning them off to one of the big 3 comic auction houses

Smaller auction houses often deliver stronger results for specialized collections. PBA's series of pre-Code horror auctions has been delivering outstanding results, comparable to or exceeding those achieved by Heritage for the same books/grades. Personalized service can make a huge difference! PBA was saluted in the latest Overstreet guide, and is rapidly gaining ground.

PBA shout out in Overstreet 52.jpg

On 8/31/2022 at 3:09 PM, NoMan said:

I’m sorry sir but I forgot my HA password (yet again) so as can’t see what this book sold for. Might you help a brother out? Thanks in advance

There were several, I won issue 27 that  I posted. The bidding was pretty intense on them. 

ASM 16 6.5 sold for $2760

ASM 31 6.5 sold for $4560

ASM 6 3.5 Sold for $3120

ASM 33 7.0 sold for $8400

Just to give you an idea.

Edited by PKJ

On 8/31/2022 at 12:26 PM, Ivan Ivanstein said:

Smaller auction houses often deliver stronger results for specialized collections. PBA's series of pre-Code horror auctions has been delivering outstanding results, comparable to or exceeding those achieved by Heritage for the same books/grades. Personalized service can make a huge difference! PBA was saluted in the latest Overstreet guide, and is rapidly gaining ground.

PBA shout out in Overstreet 52.jpg

I think it can go either way. Sometimes small auction houses deliver stronger prices, sometimes they underperform.  I've gotten some good bargains from smaller and well-known larger auctions. I think it's all about timing and advertising.  Is the marketing and exposure of PBA as good as the big three comic auction houses?  People like me usually check the well-known auction houses for upcoming books because it's already implanted in our heads that there will be an upcoming auction coming.  When it comes to smaller, less known auction houses like PBA, it's uncommon at least for me to check regularly on whether there will be a comic book auction.  It's more spread through word of mouth, comic book forums such as this, or through a once in a blue moon advertisement in social media that hey there will be a comic auction coming soon.  

What I find interesting though is that the first batch of Ditko books were auctioned from Heritage and it seemed to me like it did very well.  Why didn't the heirs consign the rest with them?  Did something go wrong in the negotiations or they were dissatisfied with the hammer prices? Maybe PBA has a better commission rate %?  Well, we'll see how it goes.  Best of luck to the consignor(s).   

On 9/4/2022 at 12:51 PM, bronze johnny said:

You’re in good company because we will all have to part at some point unless we want to be the “guy in the cemetery with the best comic book collection…” 

Passing on to a child or grandchild is always an option. Spidey will live on for generations.:peace:

On 9/4/2022 at 1:51 PM, bronze johnny said:

You’re in good company because we will all have to part at some point unless we want to be the “guy in the cemetery with the best comic book collection…” 

hm

On 9/4/2022 at 2:44 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

Some kids are good and some are not so good if I ever had any and they were not so good they would get not a thing.

Kind of also has to do with how they value the stuff we enjoy. Generations change and time has a way of wiping out memory. The 20th Century American comic book is a relatively new art form that came along with America’s greatest contribution to the history of art - film. Technology is changing the art of film in ways that were not expected. Who knows whether the movies of today may end up becoming the nickelodeons of yesteryear. Comic books may or may not be around depending of historical forces we can’t see. The hope we collectors have is that posterity values this art form we love and continues to embrace it. Our descendants (for those of us that have them) are the greatest hope we have to see that as many memories as possible of our lives are passed on. There’s the written history and there are the possessions we valued. There’s always hope that should we pass these books onto them, they will appreciate them in a way that permits them to connect to the world we once had. Time will tell…

Edited by bronze johnny

I want to mention a boardie who had one of the greatest collections ever. That boardie (some of you may know who I’m referring to) sold off his collection and is doing incredible work to improve the lives of others. He will have something greater than passing on a comic book. What that boardie will have is a legacy of having made this world a better place for some.

Edited by bronze johnny

On 9/4/2022 at 3:07 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

I will do the same with my TEC collection maybe not on his level but still enough to make a difference in the lives of animals and young children.

We can’t take the comics with us but I like to believe we can take the good in helping others with us(thumbsu

On 9/4/2022 at 2:04 PM, bronze johnny said:

I want to mention a boardie who had one of the greatest collections ever. That boardie (some of you may know who I’m referring to) sold off his collection and is doing incredible work to improve the lives of others. He will have something greater than passing on a comic book. What that boardie will have is a legacy of having made this world a better place for some.

Selling paper to help others. Doesn't get any better than that.:golfclap: