• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

On 8/6/2022 at 4:29 AM, Ltpink2002 said:

The colors look amazing compared to the 7.5 in HA.

all of @DST's books present phenomenally well for the grades. he doesnt just buy the label, he's one of the most discerning eyes around in terms of wrap, colors, chipping, etc.

this post was sponsored by the dst corporation xD (but seriously his books are almost all incredible) 

On 8/6/2022 at 8:10 AM, Batmanis#1 said:

What is the going rate for a 6.5 AF15? I know there was a high sale of 225k (always a few buyers that go crazy during a high and get burned) but in the current market I was thinking 150k?

That person who paid 225k for that 6.5 copy is surely having sleepless nights now. It’s going to be a hell of a long wait for that person to ever see a profit on that book. 

On 8/14/2022 at 9:44 AM, Batmanis#1 said:

My guess in 1-2 years that will be the norm for the grade and he will turn a profit after that. If he holds on for say 5-10 years he should be more than OK in my opinion.

In 5-10 yrs correct he should be ok. But as of now too many copies on the market and not enough collectors to absorb the issues for a high price will keep it level at the prices today Buying in on a 6.5 for 200k is dangerous at this point 

On 8/14/2022 at 9:51 AM, Batmanis#1 said:

There are always a few that just don't get it and over pay each time there is a major upswing and there will always be some maybe he will get lucky in the long run. But should have known this if he was a long time collector but my guess he is not. In 10 years I can see it been double what he paid maybe more will see.

For the 6.5 to hit 400k let’s say in 10yrs hmmm it could happen but again there is plenty of copies on the market that makes this book not rare. It’s rarer in higher grades in 7.0 and up from 52 copies then declines so time will def tell 

On 8/13/2022 at 8:03 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

10 years from now is a long time and I doubt by then AF15 will be anywhere near the prices they are today. Right now AF15 is in a slump but still 6.5's are 150k versus say 30k 7-8 years ago. There is no way AF15 will stay stable or in a slump for 10 years straight. This one buyer overpaid for the moment. That is 1 person only. AF15 is KING of the whole SA it will always be #1 no contest moving forward and in demand.

Wasn’t always “KING of the whole SA.” There was a time back in the ‘80s when Adventure Comics 247 was the biggest SA key. There was also a time when Spidey was second to Wolverine and the X-Men in the comic books (not sure where they all are today given all the talk about how the latest movie went). There’s been a great deal of speculation around Spider-Man and AF15 since the successful movies during the early 2000s and the MCU-Disney films. There are speculators and investors driving these books and that’s good for those of us who already own copies. That being said, with each new day comes adjustments and younger generations are finding their own heroes. Seeing my daughter and her friends along with the kids of her generation, I can tell you Spidey (unfortunately) isn’t even on their radar (surprisingly, they like Teen Titans and the Turtles along with Wolverine and the X-Men). Doesn’t mean AF15 is going to drop off anyone’s radar as one of or the greatest of SA keys just like Action 1 and Tec 27 are the best GA books (but they weren’t always the biggest either). However, it does mean that changes we cannot see or predict will likely influence these comic book characters and their place in society. Movies aren’t enough to guarantee comic book readers. Spy Smasher was the second most popular Fawcett comic book hero during the GA and much of it had to do with his movie serials. Anyone know what happened to him after the serials stopped and Fawcett ceased publishing comic books? AF 15 is a favorite of mine with one of the best ever covers drawn by the King. It’s place in history is solid but by no means is there any guarantee Spidey is going to continue to be Marvel’s first or second (Wolverine for example, has tremendous popularity without any recent blockbuster films) most popular comic book superhero despite coming off a super successful film. Let’s see what happens going forward. Even speculation has its limitations. Btw, I know you don’t discuss your Batman books but that doesn’t preclude you from posting about the books in general. I’d be interested to see what your thoughts are about GA, SA, and BA Batman books beyond, the keys, artists, writers, and all things Batman (in the GA forum of course and beyond “auction-talk”).  (thumbsu

On 8/14/2022 at 1:12 PM, bronze johnny said:

Wasn’t always “KING of the whole SA.” There was a time back in the ‘80s when Adventure Comics 247 was the biggest SA key. There was also a time when Spidey was second to Wolverine and the X-Men in the comic books (not sure where they all are today given all the talk about how the latest movie went). There’s been a great deal of speculation around Spider-Man and AF15 since the successful movies during the early 2000s and the MCU-Disney films. There are speculators and investors driving these books and that’s good for those of us who already own copies. That being said, with each new day comes adjustments and younger generations are finding their own heroes. Seeing my daughter and her friends along with the kids of her generation, I can tell you Spidey (unfortunately) isn’t even on their radar (surprisingly, they like Teen Titans and the Turtles along with Wolverine and the X-Men). Doesn’t mean AF15 is going to drop off anyone’s radar as one of or the greatest of SA keys just like Action 1 and Tec 27 are the best GA books (but they weren’t always the biggest either). However, it does mean that changes we cannot see or predict will likely influence these comic book characters and their place in society. Movies aren’t enough to guarantee comic book readers. Spy Smasher was the second most popular Fawcett comic book hero during the GA and much of it had to do with his movie serials. Anyone know what happened to him after the serials stopped and Fawcett ceased publishing comic books? AF 15 is a favorite of mine with one of the best ever covers drawn by the King. It’s place in history is solid but by no means is there any guarantee Spidey is going to continue to be Marvel’s first or second (Wolverine for example, has tremendous popularity without any recent blockbuster films) most popular comic book superhero despite coming off a super successful film. Let’s see what happens going forward. Even speculation has its limitations. Btw, I know you don’t discuss your Batman books but that doesn’t preclude you from posting about the books in general. I’d be interested to see what your thoughts are about GA, SA, and BA Batman books beyond, the keys, artists, writers, and all things Batman (in the GA forum of course and beyond “auction-talk”).  (thumbsu

I didn’t know until a few years ago that Kirby did the cover of AF15. 😔

Have we now come full circle on CGC 5.0 graded copies of AF 15 because wasn't it Glassman who had sold the 5.0 graded copy for something like the mid-$50K's through the greatest comic book dealer in the world and a copy which he had found in a bus:  :bigsmile:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/amazing-fantasy-15-marvel-1962-cgc-vg-fn-50-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122235-19024.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Silver Age (1956-1969):Superhero, Amazing Fantasy #15 (Marvel, 1962) CGC VG/FN 5.0 Off-white to white pages....

And yet this nicely presenting copy here without the fugly Marvel chipping sold for only $55,200 in Heritage's Sunday auction this past weekend as compared to fetching much closer to 6-figures earlier this year.  :whatthe:   :tonofbricks:

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/30/2022 at 5:13 PM, peewee22 said:

Spidey is just taking a break. He has shades on with a Kiwi Margarita in the bright beach sunshine.

There is a bunch in HA Sept. auction. One 8.5 restored but with SL sig. I thing a 6.5. So I dunno.  

On 8/31/2022 at 3:36 AM, NoMan said:

So, umm, could you tell us a bit more please?

Steve Ditko's copies of Fantasy 15, Spidey 1-38 and Annual #s 1 & 2, will be coming to auction in November. They will receive “The Steve Ditko Collection” certification by CGC.