• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

Ya we need the same scrutiny that we give to auction houses that have been caught shilling their books, buying their own books back, pumping video games to buy the video game to make a news article claiming they sold the most expensive video game ever (when they, they auction house, were the GD buyers of said most expensive video game).

Many many many dealers I trust over the auction house shenanigans.

On 6/18/2022 at 11:35 AM, Batmanis#1 said:

Sellers will eventually pull back and less copies will be available at a time and that will push prices back up. Right now I think that those that paid say 20k for their book and can get 120k are selling but once you have more people that own the book at current prices they will never or almost never sell their copy for a loss. I mean if I had paid 20k and could possibly pay off my house in these hard economic times I would consider it. AF15 will be more than fine long term as everyone knows. It is not the #1 book on the entire SA for nothing.

That may not be a bad idea. I mean if you can get a fraction of the people that have been splurging on everything and anything with a "for sale" sign the past year, might be worth it. Like maybe if one person can forgo that 4th or 5th 100 inch plasma LED 4k TV and/or whatever else they didn't need for something worthwhile. Could be worth it for the seller👍

Edited by MGsimba77

On 7/7/2022 at 5:58 PM, MGsimba77 said:

I'd be inclined to agree with this but if there were real questions to the legitimacy would it have been widely reported? CGC ran an article on the front page of the website. The brokers of the sale were established dealers.

I'm not saying the sale was fake.  I'm saying that a "private sale", by its very nature, is not as a reliable of a data point as a public auction.   That price tag is ultimately untested and unproven, for all we know, the buyer simply overpaid and there would have been absolutely no competition anywhere near that level in an auction environment and the buyer could have gotten it for much less.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

I'd take the validity of sale prices quoted by a number of long-time and high integrity national dealers over those showing from a couple of the auction houses every day of the week.  To paint all dealer transactions with a single paint brush does a disservice to both the best dealers and the collectors who benefit from the availability of the most comprehensive sales data.

On occasion, some of the biggest books in the hobby have changed hands in cash/trade deals.  It's those transactions that can't be reliably put into pure dollar value that I'd like to see kept out of sales databases.  Along with transactions from disreputable dealers and auction houses, too, of course.

Edited by namisgr

On 7/8/2022 at 5:13 AM, Jaydogrules said:

I'm not saying fhe sale was fake.  I'm saying that a "private sale", by its very nature, is not as a reliable of a data point as a public auction.   That price tag is ultimately untested and unproven, for all we know, the buyer simply overpaid and there would have been absolutely no competition anywhere near that level in an auction environment and the buyer could have gotten it for much less.  

-J.

Agree with this as was initially inclined. Fair to say a legit private sale wouldn't necessarily be *as* indicative of true market value compared to a public auction. In this case I'd believe the 5.3 mill wouldn't be wildly off the mark in light of that recent FF 9.2 auction. It would have been very interesting to see what that Sup1 would of fetched on the block! I believe it was sold as an 8.0 then bumped to 8.5 after the resub as discussed in the thread linked above. 

It should be noted, the dealers could of had another offer or offers in the neighborhood of 5.3 but we'll never know (shrug)

Edited by MGsimba77

On 7/13/2022 at 9:18 AM, DT0428 said:

I agree, but at the price I won seems really low for even a 5.0 with interior tape

I agree, but at the price I won seems really low for even a 5.0 with interior tape

Hey Congrats !!! If that's the price on GPA, then it is a total steal for a 5.0 !!!!  so there is some interior tape, it is OW-White!  And just a few days ago, another 5.0 apparently sold for $100K ..........  I have a 5.0 ow/w with no marvel chipping and no tape, and I would want closer to 100K then closer to 40K for it if I were to sell (and I would never sell) 

Edited by fishbone

On 7/12/2022 at 8:33 AM, DT0428 said:

Got this at a steal Upgraded my 3.5 copy. The 3.5 will go up for auction next month comic connect. 

9E38B74B-5427-4BB9-BE80-927E2DDF51CB.jpeg

Smoking deal at $49,200! Others were asleep at the wheel and NP Gresham's keyboard batteries must have died.

Congrats you will do well on this one, love the vivid colors on the center image.

Keep it !!! You wont find a better priced 5.0..

Thanks for sharing

On 7/18/2022 at 12:59 PM, DC# said:

With the sale of a 4.5 CR/OW on Heritage last night for $43.2k combined with the 5.0 above - decided to look at sales of 2.5 thru 5.0 since January.   I did a similar chart for FF #1 in the "Are Prices Climbing.." thread.  

1626341417_ScreenShot2022-07-18at10_47_11AM.thumb.png.2892dfe15c268846f3cd5ec51f3b068d.png

Thanks for this.  I’m sure there’s discussion elsewhere in this thread about it, but it looks like the 5.0 nosedived, and the rest are trending down.  I feel confident this is temporary for such a pivotal book. I guess it depends on whether or not the hobby sheds the newer crypto collectors. I hope they stay forever, but - note to crypto guys - please wait until I get a copy before jumping back in

On 7/18/2022 at 1:59 PM, DC# said:

With the sale of a 4.5 CR/OW on Heritage last night for $43.2k combined with the 5.0 above - decided to look at sales of 2.5 thru 5.0 since January.   I did a similar chart for FF #1 in the "Are Prices Climbing.." thread.  

1626341417_ScreenShot2022-07-18at10_47_11AM.thumb.png.2892dfe15c268846f3cd5ec51f3b068d.png

We all have to also understand that there are several variables to consider with the declining prices.  The copies thus far on the downward spiral have been all with chipping, staining and tape.  They are not the most eye appealing copies.  Curious to see if there is a big price decline for a copy that presents well for its grade

My friend just sold his CGC 0.5 SS Restored (Signed by Stan Lee. Slight A restoration). Presented well, but prices took a hammering. 

Had several offers of $17k+ for it at the start of this year but he hesitated, then got to the point where he HAD to get extra money in asap and he sold it to one of the bigger Instagram accounts for approximately $12k ($8k cash + an epic grail key traded to cover the rest). He had it on other venues first before selling on IG, no bites for any price over that for months. It was a steal deal for the buyer, I really wish I had 10K in cash sitting around which would have swayed my friend to just let me have it.

20220530_192430.thumb.jpg.230ec2f4375e9cb839d3478e0436454a.jpg

On 7/18/2022 at 3:05 PM, Sauce Dog said:

My friend just sold his CGC 0.5 SS Restored (Signed by Stan Lee. Slight A restoration). Presented well, but prices took a hammering. 

Had several offers of $17k+ for it at the start of this year but he hesitated, then got to the point where he HAD to get extra money in asap and he sold it to one of the bigger Instagram accounts for approximately $12k ($8k cash + an epic grail key traded to cover the rest). He had it on other venues first before selling on IG, no bites for any price over that for months. It was a steal deal for the buyer, I really wish I had 10K in cash sitting around which would have swayed my friend to just let me have it.

20220530_192430.thumb.jpg.230ec2f4375e9cb839d3478e0436454a.jpg

Curious as to what grail book your friend got in trade with the cash?

On 7/18/2022 at 3:35 PM, Cushing Fan said:

Curious as to what grail book your friend got in trade with the cash?

Albedo #2, which has been one he's always wanted since high school but had been priced out (he can only maybe occasional spend around $100 at most on a single book at this point due to other obligations, so getting this grail was never going to happen otherwise)

On 7/18/2022 at 12:01 PM, DT0428 said:

We all have to also understand that there are several variables to consider with the declining prices.  The copies thus far on the downward spiral have been all with chipping, staining and tape.  They are not the most eye appealing copies.  Curious to see if there is a big price decline for a copy that presents well for its grade

Absolutely - you see the same variation with FF #1 sales (that one has a lot of lower grades out-performing higher grades based on quality/appearance - there are a lot of dingy looking FF1 books in the lower grades given that white cover).     And is often pointed out - these values are still significantly higher than a few years ago.   The 2020 average on a 4.0 AF #15 was $21k vs June 2022 sale of $52k.  

On 7/18/2022 at 1:59 PM, DC# said:

Can someone provide the link for the 5.0 that apparently sold for $100K?