• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

On 11/19/2023 at 5:47 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

OK, I have so many questions and I need answers.  lol

First of all I think this is an awesome idea for a collection, so much so that if there was something I could do to help you add to it I would.

I am curious to know, if you're interested in sharing ...

• What's the full list of "key pages" you've managed to collect so far?  (So far I've seen a couple from AF 15, plus FF 1, Hulk 1, and JIM 83.)
  • Where do you get them?  In other words do you buy these already slabbed or get them slabbed yourself -- and, if the latter, are you pulling these pages from low-grade copies?  Does this mean sacrificing/destroying value (even a low-grade complete copy of a major key is going to be worth far more than a single page removed from it) in order to add to your collection?
  • What's your current want list of key pages you want to add to the collection?

I have over 40 slabbed pages so far.  At some point, I think I'll start a thread of the most monumental pages to have.  There of course will be many different opinions.  Bit by bit I will also add pics to other threads, or begin some myself. 

I have not slabbed any myself, although I have purchased some unslabbed and very low grade slabbed comics to eventually page out.  I haven't done so yet, mainly because I'm not clear how I'm going to separate the pages.  I haven't received a clear answer from CGC whether or not cutting a page at the spine would be considered trimmed or not.  There are good arguments for either answer.  The comics I will page out are either coverless, or cgc qualified 1.0 or less, or cgc 0.5.

There's a lot of dissenting opinion about page slabbing.  To each his own.  Personally, I'm not collecting any other way.

Edited by Joseph Ragno

On 11/19/2023 at 7:07 PM, Joseph Ragno said:

I haven't received a clear answer from CGC whether or not cutting a page at the spine would be considered trimmed or not.  There are good arguments for either answer.

Someone at CGC has refused to answer this question?

I've never seen a slabbed page that looks like it was torn from the other page of the wrap.

I would put the chance of them calling a page trimmed, at the spine, less than 0%.

Unless I'm missing something.

Would they actually be able to discern if the other sides of the page were trimmed? Hard to believe the answer in all cases would be "yes".

Edited by sledgehammer

On 11/21/2023 at 8:10 AM, sledgehammer said:

Someone at CGC has refused to answer this question?

I've never seen a slabbed page that looks like it was torn from the other page of the wrap.

I would put the chance of them calling a page trimmed, at the spine, less than 0%.

Unless I'm missing something.

Would they actually be able to discern if the other sides of the page were trimmed? Hard to believe the answer in all cases would be "yes".

I'd love to give a lengthy answer, but this thread is getting hijacked.  I will answer at a point when I get more info.  Thanks for the interest!

On 11/21/2023 at 9:13 AM, Joseph Ragno said:

I'd love to give a lengthy answer, but this thread is getting hijacked.  I will answer at a point when I get more info.  Thanks for the interest!

Sounds good. I look forward to it.

Since there are AF 15 pages that look like a rat got to work on multiple areas and  edges, and really nice OW/W clean looking examples, and they all get the same Blue Label "PG" grade, I'll be interested to see what answers you supply.

On 11/22/2023 at 7:18 AM, sledgehammer said:

I really don't get the attraction of the non-ASM pages at all. It seems very weird to me.

The "Letter" page?  Weird.

The Ditko art is attractive to collectors. The Bell Ringer is a good non ASM story.

On 11/22/2023 at 10:30 AM, peewee22 said:

The Ditko art is attractive to collectors. The Bell Ringer is a good non ASM story.

I get it. To each his own. Would make more sense to me if in a slab was the only way to look at it, but ok.

I've seen a couple of the asm pages, and actually thought it would be cool to have. Especially the actual bit by the spider page and uncle ben dies pages. Not so much the other Ditko story pages.

On 1/2/2024 at 3:33 PM, gadzukes said:

I've improved my standing in the club with another AF15 (my 3rd copy).  Does this get me into the executive level of the club where you're given a robe and served free drinks?  hm

For a remaindered, this one is pretty sweet.

IMG_2368.jpeg

:headbang:

My first AF15 was a remainder copy!

-bc

On 1/2/2024 at 3:33 PM, gadzukes said:

I've improved my standing in the club with another AF15 (my 3rd copy).  Does this get me into the executive level of the club where you're given a robe and served free drinks?  hm

For a remaindered, this one is pretty sweet.

IMG_2368.jpeg

Very nice! With the Spiderman title showing and a nice even cut this copy looks good 👍 

On 1/14/2024 at 10:27 PM, VinylJunky said:

Surprised my wife with a Christmas gift to her years ago. She was over the moon and made up for the goofy slippers (she reminds me)  I gave her the year before LOL.

IMG_9242.JPG

This sounds a lot like when I give my wife a gift of lingerie for Christmas.

On 1/14/2024 at 9:27 PM, VinylJunky said:

Surprised my wife with a Christmas gift to her years ago. She was over the moon and made up for the goofy slippers (she reminds me)  I gave her the year before LOL.

IMG_9242.JPG

nice retirement gift you gave her (no 401k required).:flipbait: