• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

This CGC 6.5 AF15 is at only 24 000$ with less than 2 days to go. It has some issues but still 24 000$ seems really low so far anyway.

Link:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=691088

Sold for almost 37 000$.....big difference from the last 4 6.5's that sold for 50 000$ to 52 000$.

And the CGC 4.0 sold for 15 000$.

Link:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=685108

Edited by SupergirlDC1959

That 6.5 had a 'small drop of dried glue' notation on the cover. I didn't see that when I looked before.

That was either a quality control mistake by CGC and it should have been a purple label or CGC has changed their position on a small drop of glue on SA books.

That would definitely explain why a CGC 6.5 book sold for less than even a CGC 6.0 copy.

That 6.5 had a 'small drop of dried glue' notation on the cover. I didn't see that when I looked before.

That was either a quality control mistake by CGC and it should have been a purple label or CGC has changed their position on a small drop of glue on SA books.

That would definitely explain why a CGC 6.5 book sold for less than even a CGC 6.0 copy.

I don't like saying negative things about books before auctions are over, but yes, not only was it a weak 6.5 with Marvel chipping, the glue on that book should have had it in a PLOD holder. No SA books can have glue and not be a PLOD. That exception is only extended on intermittent occasion to GA books (though it shouldn't be there either). That price pretty clearly reflects the likely grade hit that book will take to remove the glue.

-J.

This CGC 6.5 AF15 is at only 24 000$ with less than 2 days to go. It has some issues but still 24 000$ seems really low so far anyway.

Link:

Sold for almost 37 000$.....big difference from the last 4 6.5's that sold for 50 000$ to 52 000$.

Link:

A good result on the 4.0, I think, given the damage around the staples and what appears to be significant rust on the lower staple.

Link:

Link:

A good result on the 4.0, I think, given the damage around the staples and what appears to be significant rust on the lower staple.

That is the felling I got as well...15k seems high on this specific CGC 4.0.

Wow, a thousand bucks for three quarters of one page...

It's got too much Marvel chipping for me to be interested.

No worries then, as CGC does not really do much of a downgrade, if any at all, for books with Marvel chipping. :gossip:lol

That is a lot of chipping for a 6.5!! I wonder if it will pass 40k.

Seriously, did they forget to look on the right hand-side of the book when they graded this one here. :screwy:

Big change in grading from the old days when blatant and obvious visual defects were treated much harsher than the feather-like treatment being applied by CGC. Instead, they've clearly moved their sledgehammer and applied it with full force on books with much harder to see additional revenue generating defects. hm

Makes perfect business sense, of course. :censored:

CGC made a big mistake when they decided to minimize the impact of Marvel Chipping on grade, it was discussed here pretty exhaustively back in the day. Oh well, the market is catching on.

Definitely one of the bigger "head scratchers".

Shouldn't really be to you since you've been here since '02 and should have seen everything unfolding.

Just think about additional streams of revenues and you'll have a much better understanding of CGC's undisclosed and shifting grading standards. :gossip:

CGC made a big mistake when they decided to minimize the impact of Marvel Chipping on grade, it was discussed here pretty exhaustively back in the day. Oh well, the market is catching on.

Definitely one of the bigger "head scratchers".

Shouldn't really be to you since you've been here since '02 and should have seen everything unfolding.

Just think about additional streams of revenues and you'll have a much better understanding of CGC's undisclosed and shifting grading standards. :gossip:

You're absolutely correct, of course. I think we're both pretty much on the same page regarding your last line above.

I can't find the "small drop of glue" when I look at the pics. Can anyone else see it? That's really a horrible notation to have on your label. I would want the glue drop removed (so that notation would go away), but I'd be nervous about a big grade drop.

I actually think the book looks really nice except for the MC. That's a pretty big price drop for MC. I'm glad the 2 I own don't have the chipping. Does anyone know the percentage of AF15s that have MC? Is it 50%? More?

Edited by gadzukes

I can't find the "small drop of glue" when I look at the pics. Can anyone else see it?

You can't find it in a small pic. You'd need the book in hand to spot it.

I can't find the "small drop of glue" when I look at the pics. Can anyone else see it? That's really a horrible notation to have on your label. I would want the glue drop removed (so that notation would go away), but I'd be nervous about a big grade drop.

I actually think the book looks really nice except for the MC. That's a pretty big price drop for MC. I'm glad the 2 I own don't have the chipping. Does anyone know the percentage of AF15s that have MC? Is it 50%? More?

It doesn't matter. ANY glue on a silver age book (or newer) is an automatic PLOD.

VintageComics is correct, this is a CGC quality control issue and that is reflected in its price. Assuming the glue can actually be removed without taking a BIG grade hit (something I'm assuming would have been done prior to it being consigned, if it was remotely possible), it would probably be lucky to get a 5.5 blue label, even with a relatively small scrape off the cover.

-J.

It doesn't matter. ANY glue on a silver age book (or newer) is an automatic PLOD.

VintageComics is correct, this is a CGC quality control issue and that is reflected in its price. Assuming the glue can actually be removed without taking a BIG grade hit (something I'm assuming would have been done prior to it being consigned, if it was remotely possible), it would probably be lucky to get a 5.5 blue label, even with a relatively small scrape off the cover.

-J.

That's definitely was a low price for that copy...of course of quantities of MC's. The label states "small amount of dried glue". The glue is not serving a purpose to enhance the grade....that's why a blue label. Anyone has the notes?

Books after 1950 with a dot of glue or color touch do not receive blue labels acc to CGC unless policy has changed.

That notation definitely affected bidding.

Books after 1950 with a dot of glue or color touch do not receive blue labels acc to CGC unless policy has changed.

Not disagreeing with you Roy. But is this dried glue serving a purpose? The residual from the removal? It's possible the glue was removed prior to have the book in the blue label.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

Not disagreeing with you Roy. But is this dried glue serving a purpose? The residual from the removal? It's possible the glue was removed prior to have the book in the blue label.

The policy hasn't changed. If there's enough (or any) glue on the book to warrant a notation, it's a PLOD.

More likely than not a QC issue. That book is going to be a hot potato until someone finally decides to break down and have the glue removed (if it can be without completely defacing the book).

-J.

Link:

Link:

I guess I am the only one surprised that the 4.0 only went for 15K. lol

The policy hasn't changed. If there's enough (or any) glue on the book to warrant a notation, it's a PLOD.

More likely than not a QC issue. That book is going to be a hot potato until someone finally decides to break down and have the glue removed (if it can be without completely defacing the book).

-J.

This book was graded in 2014. I wonder if this glue didn't serve a purpose at all? I agree this book is a hot potato and need more info on this vague notation.

Link:

Link:

I guess I am the only one surprised that the 4.0 only went for 15K. lol

Looks like a great price (for the seller) for a weak 4.0 with a gnarly rusty staple. (shrug)