• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, BIZZARRO said:

Graders notes 

bottom back cover large piece out

left bottom cover tear with crease

left top front cover restoration color touch

right top front cover restoration color touch

spine wear breaks color 

whole book fixing 

I wonder what "whole book fixing" is. Realignment of the spine, maybe? (shrug)

Could anybody give me an indication of the value of professionally restored AF15's in the range of CGC 6.0 - 9.0?

I noticed a PGX 9.6 moderate sold for 25K recently on eBay and I have no clue how to compare this to CGC

thx,

Elmer

2 hours ago, Spyderfan said:

I think I sold that copy on the boards a few years ago for 15k

2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

I think I sold that copy on the boards a few years ago for 15k

Jiminy Cricket Rick!  :whatthe:  That one sure is a beautiful copy.  Got any more for sale at that price?  lol

21 hours ago, blazingbob said:

Add more color touch to make it a 4.0?  Wow the Kool aid is really flowing tonight.

Hey, there's a bunch of color breaks.  If they get CTd, and the comic presents better, doesn't that mean a higher restored grade?

I'm for Blue labels all the way, And have had CT removed from a handful of comics to get a Blue label, but when there's a lot of "Amateur CT bleedthru" then you simply can't remove the CT without seriously damaging the comic.  In those instances I think you can try raising the "Apparent" grade.  Why not?  It would probably stay as a "Slight Amateur" (or whatever numeric designation they have now) but it would probably go up to a 4.0.

My2c

Edited by gadzukes

6 hours ago, Spyderfan said:

In this crazy world, it will be 50k. No chipping, ok page quality, well centered, colors decent. Its a Social Media approved copy...expect 50k.

13 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

In this crazy world, it will be 50k. No chipping, ok page quality, well centered, colors decent. Its a Social Media approved copy...expect 50k.

Beautiful looking CGC 5.0!!

3 hours ago, zhamlau said:
9 hours ago, Spyderfan said:

All this talk about mid-grade copies of AF 15's with board members posting their copies almost makes it seem like most collectors must already have a copy of this book here.

Decided to take a look at the census, and there are over 500 copies of AF 15's graded in the CGC 4.0 to 6.0 grade range alone.  :whatthe:

All I can say is that looks like an awful lot of copies, especially considering how much they are going for in today's marketplace in that "relatively common" mid-grade condition range.  hm

26 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

All this talk about mid-grade copies of AF 15's with board members posting their copies almost makes it seem like most collectors must already have a copy of this book here.

Decided to take a look at the census, and there are over 500 copies of AF 15's graded in the CGC 4.0 to 6.0 grade range alone.  :whatthe:

All I can say is that looks like an awful lot of copies, especially considering how much they are going for in today's marketplace in that "relatively common" mid-grade condition range.  hm

You left out the most important part.....millions and millions of Spidey fans.....500 does not seem like much!!

4 minutes ago, SC22 said:
32 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

You left out the most important part.....millions and millions of Spidey fans.....500 does not seem like much!!

Well aware of that, but how many of those millions are able or even willing to pay the kind of money it takes in today's marketplace to buy one of those 500 copies out there.  (shrug)

In addition, there are also millions and millions of Supes and Batman fans out there.  And for comparison purposes, there are only 13 graded copies of Action 1 and even fewere 7 copies of 'Tec 27 in that same CGC 4.0 to CGC 6.0 grade condition range.  hm

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Well aware of that, but how many of those millions are able or even willing to pay the kind of money it takes in today's marketplace to buy one of those 500 copies out there.  (shrug)

In addition, there are also millions and millions of Supes and Batman fans out there.  And for comparison purposes, there are only 13 graded copies of Action 1 and even fewere 7 copies of 'Tec 27 in that same CGC 4.0 to CGC 6.0 grade condition range.  hm

Rarity does not always equate to a certain item being valuable....this is seen in many hobbies!! People buying super rare items hoping they will go up in value but don't....I have seen this many many times. Usually new people in a certain hobby think like this or people outside of a hobby. But if you have rarity and popularity then that is another story....some items just need popularity and somewhat of a amount of scarcity and some others like Hulk 181 just need popularity as it's financial driving force.

There are enough people who can afford a AF15 to keep the market going....if the population of SA books bothers your nerves maybe you should buy GA books instead. There are thousands of 1952 Topps Mantle cards and every time one comes up for sale it sells.....and there are many more Spidey fans than Mantle fans so why are you so worried. Spidey is a global icon the market can absorb/handle 500 copies easily.

Comparing GA and SA is not that simple....many of the SA super heroes are way more popular than GA characters. Many would want to buy a AC1 or TEC27 but can't for various reasons and some buy the next best thing witch is AF15.

But if you want to doubt the market go right ahead (the people who did that a year ago wish they had not and the same goes for those that sold their copy before it picked up in value).....during that time people will continue to buy up AF15's and it's value will continue to rise then stabilize and then rise again and then stabilize again and so on and so on.....so it makes no difference in the end if you chose to be a doubter.....the market speaks for itself!!

Edited by SC22

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Wait until the raw copies in private collections start to get graded over the years to come. 500 will quickly become 5000.

Edited by Gotham Kid

5 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Wait until the raw copies in private collections start to get graded over the next few years years. 500 will quickly become 5000.

Gator has already said the market can absorb them and he was talking about 10 000 or 12 000 not a measly 500 or 5000. This discussion comes up every once and a while people forget the answers that where given then it starts all back over then Gator comes in and says the market will absorb them then people stop talking about till they again forget what was said. Then the cycle starts over again and again and again!! Some people have short term memories or simply hope a certain market slows down for some personal reason.

Copy paste it and save it that way if you forget about it you can simply look it up in your saved file on topics you tend to forget about.

Edited by SC22

8 minutes ago, SC22 said:

9 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Wait until the raw copies in private collections start to get graded over the next few years years. 500 will quickly become 5000.

Gator has already said the market can absorb them and he was talking about 10 000 not 500 or 5000. This discussion comes up every once and a while people forget the answers that where given then it starts all back over then Gator comes in and says the market will absorb them then people stop talking about till they again forget what was said.

Seeing as how you refer to GAtor's input, go back and read the part where Gator addresses the sustainability of pricing. Yes the books may be absorbed but will they be absorbed at these astronomical prices ... likely no.

Edited by Gotham Kid

4 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Seeing as how you refer to GAtor's input, go back and read the part when Gator addresses the sustainability of pricing.

That to has been addressed over and over again as well he said he believes the market will peak in the next 5 to 10 years. Some believe otherwise as was stated in ''that discussion''. These things have ALL been addressed already over and over again.

People need to write or print these things down and create a file for themselves so it's not groundhog day (the movie).

Edited by SC22