• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, BIZZARRO said:

So about 50% of guide on a 3.0...? Right?

Why buy a CGC 1.0 to 1.5 your book looks really nice (and this is coming from a guy that does not fancy restoration.....if it was me I would be happy with the book you have) you will not get a blue that has that kind of eye appeal....but if you must own a blue label!!

Edited by SC22

7 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Should sell about 1.0 to 1.5 range if you can find a buyer that doesn't mind the resto

7 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Should sell about 1.0 to 1.5 range if you can find a buyer that doesn't mind the resto

3 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Right buyer maybe 7-9k

I guess that sounds still good for investment purposes. But the million dollar question. Should I chance with removing restoration?

3 minutes ago, BIZZARRO said:

I guess that sounds still good for investment purposes. But the million dollar question. Should I chance with removing restoration?

No....Gator just told you and he knows what he is talking about. But he might be able to find a buyer for you then sell you a blue label....he is one of the top dealers in the hobby.

Edited by SC22

5 minutes ago, BIZZARRO said:

I don't like removing amateur Ct because you have to scrape actual paper off. Makes the book look bad in most (not all of course ) cases

you would need to send to a resto person to determine 

33 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Not really. But amateur means bleed through. Lots of paper loss to remove. I'd leave as is

Get the graders notes.  Might have a clue to how much a "small" amount is.  If removing the ct would damage the book too much, how about adding a tiny bit more ct to take it to 4.0.  I see quite a few small color breaking creases that could be CTd.

Hard to know what to do without knowing the amount of Am ct.

45 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Get the graders notes.  Might have a clue to how much a "small" amount is.  If removing the ct would damage the book too much, how about adding a tiny bit more ct to take it to 4.0.  I see quite a few small color breaking creases that could be CTd.

Hard to know what to do without knowing the amount of Am ct.

Add more color touch to make it a 4.0?  Wow the Kool aid is really flowing tonight.

24 minutes ago, silverweb said:
2 hours ago, peewee22 said:

Sounds expensive to remove it.

Not if you do it yourself  :baiting:

Yes indeed!

If you don't have the proper tools at home, I am sue you can pick up a pair of scissors at the Dollar store.  :gossip:  lol

7 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes indeed!

If you don't have the proper tools at home, I am sue you can pick up a pair of scissors at the Dollar store.  :gossip:  lol

Probably should trim the sides and make the corners more square while you're at it.

2 minutes ago, Iceman399 said:
10 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes indeed!

Probably should trim the sides and make the corners more square while you're at it.

Danny Boy, is that you?  :hi:  lol

10 hours ago, BIZZARRO said:

I pulled up the certification and it says graders notes coming soon... so I need to call them tomorrow?

Can't tell what the future holds but perhaps the definition for amateur color touch will one day be amended to include a provision that widens how it can be interpreted?

Back when I was a kid first collecting in the late 70s, my friends and I would "color touch" a cover to personalise it or make it appear nicer because we loved the artwork and in some cases, wanted to add to it- with no intention on selling it for a better price (the conception didn't exist for us kids). Those were different times and today's standards may one day change to leave room for interpretating what the intent was for adding a marker (and markers may have been different back then- not water based like many the kids use today- we had ballpoint pens, Pilot razor points, etc. Back then) to a cover given that in addition to the stuff we did back then- and amateur color touch could also be seen by a kid as a way to conserve a book- the idea that a professional third party grading system would exist decades later was inconceivable. 

I've read about greys in this thread and absolutes- there are plenty "shades of greys" when we start looking at the question of what young people did to there books during a different era of comic book collecting and the reasons why. The time may come when the rules for color touch amateur restoration are changed to make room for interpretation - one that considers what readers and collectors did to their books decades ago.

Of course, great emphasis is placed on the word "interpretation" since amateur color touch can be abused by speculators and questionable dealers. Third party grading restoration checks may one day have the technology to make the distinction. Third party grading can also note "inconclusive" where there's insufficient evidence to determine what the intent was for the amateur color touch. Technological advancement may permit this at some point. (On a different note- Computer "generated restoration" may also change things to the point where it may become impossible to detect restoration?). Yes, the world of comic book restoration will become even more complex...like the world around us is in this 21st Century. 

For now, can you really go wrong in keeping a beautiful copy of AF 15 with amateur color touch and a purple label? If not, then take a blue marker and color over the purple label- worst that can happen is that CGC gives the blue label an amateur color touch designation...

Best,

john

Edited by bronze johnny

15 hours ago, BIZZARRO said:

I own a 3.0 af15 with slight a restoration 

small color touch on the cover. Where would that fall in a price/value? 

Somewhere between $6-10K depending on various factors of the book. (thumbsu

1 hour ago, bronze johnny said:

Can't tell what the future holds but perhaps the definition for amateur color touch will one day be amended to include a provision that widens how it can be interpreted?

Back when I was a kid first collecting in the late 70s, my friends and I would "color touch" a cover to personalise it or make it appear nicer because we loved the artwork and in some cases, wanted to add to it- with no intention on selling it for a better price (the conception didn't exist for us kids). Those were different times and today's standards may one day change to leave room for interpretating what the intent was for adding a marker (and markers may have been different back then- not water based like many the kids use today- we had ballpoint pens, Pilot razor points, etc. Back then) to a cover given that in addition to the stuff we did back then- and amateur color touch could also be seen by a kid as a way to conserve a book- the idea that a professional third party grading system would exist decades later was inconceivable. 

I've read about greys in this thread and absolutes- there are plenty "shades of greys" when we start looking at the question of what young people did to there books during a different era of comic book collecting and the reasons why. The time may come when the rules for color touch amateur restoration are changed to make room for interpretation - one that considers what readers and collectors did to their books decades ago.

Of course, great emphasis is placed on the word "interpretation" since amateur color touch can be abused by speculators and questionable dealers. Third party grading restoration checks may one day have the technology to make the distinction. Third party grading can also note "inconclusive" where there's insufficient evidence to determine what the intent was for the amateur color touch. Technological advancement may permit this at some point. (On a different note- Computer "generated restoration" may also change things to the point where it may become impossible to detect restoration?). Yes, the world of comic book restoration will become even more complex...like the world around us is in this 21st Century. 

For now, can you really go wrong in keeping a beautiful copy of AF 15 with amateur color touch and a purple label? If not, then take a blue marker and color over the purple label- worst that can happen is that CGC gives the blue label an amateur color touch designation...

Best,

john

Thanks for your input, It is a nice copy over all. Maybe your right to say leave well enough alone. Maybe I should buy another copy (On a payment plan) :) 

Graders notes 

bottom back cover large piece out

left bottom cover tear with crease

left top front cover restoration color touch

right top front cover restoration color touch

spine wear breaks color 

whole book fixing