• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, blazingbob said:

If a book is priced too high you might as well charge admission to see it.  It is then called a museum piece.  Better yet charge money when people request to take pictures with it.

we used to say "Do you want to sell it or dust it?

People are selling because of the high prices but I know for a fact this is a terrible time to sell books. People are getting into the holiday mode and they are not really buying things like comics. Prices will comes down for a while then stabilize for a while, when this happens many people will pull their book off the market and the supply will dry back up a bit. The longer the books are up for sale the more likely they will sell over time.

well, jeez, first I was told that just when school was starting was a terrible time to sell and then I was told that christmas was a terrible time to sell with attention elsewhere and then I was told that Tax time was a terrible time to sell because of taxes and now I'm told it's a terrible time to sell because it's pre holiday.

We listed my AF15 5.0 for a handsome price on Aug 5th. Fifty five days later it was sold.  It wasn't the first of Bob's AF 15' books to go at that time.

At one point I posited that if I had a  piece of art at the flea market and no one knew what it was, I couldn't sell a 30K piece of art  for 200 dollars. I continue to think that was true at the time. The problem was that it was being sold in the wrong venue  

Edited by Glassman10

On 10/3/2017 at 8:59 PM, comicquant said:
On 10/3/2017 at 8:54 PM, Ryanfromottawa said:

Egads! I never thought they did, wow you learn something everyday! Thank you for the due-diligence 

I’m in the same boat.  I had no idea and I (thought) preferred them because they didn’t have a bp.  

The 'cash discount' might be legalese to allow them to charge a 3% BP for credit card use to cover their costs.

On 10/7/2017 at 4:22 PM, Glassman10 said:

If you are   selling, I'm  really failing to see what the attraction of Ebay is if it's a high end book as opposed to putting it out with someone like Bob Storm. I paid Bob an 8.75 commission but he sold it for a ton more than books sell for on ebay. Now, I can see ebay for low end or non graded/slabbed books where the info inevitably says "Shucks, I'm not a pro grader but this one's purdy nice"  but then the immediate reaction here is often that it's a con job. That's not an environment where I would have ever considered putting my collection when I did sell it. 

Talking 3%, 10%, name it. Selling with Bob let us set the price. There's no auction shock in the outcome when it goes really low. You just wait. It took 55 days and he got his price. It wasn't mine really. He said "We can get this". Given that when I started down this path, a bit less than a year ago, I was ready to put the AF 15 raw out there and take $3K. Fortunately my son, and a really nice guy in Maine said that I could do better. Then I realized I could and began to learn all about what I had been amassing as a teenager so many decades go. At the point where I knew something, I thought I might get 40K for the whole collection. I was told, I'd be incredibly lucky to get a bit less than that. 

Then Bob contacted me and I had him up to the house. He was great. The AF15 sold for far more than I had hoped for out of the whole pile.  The man knows the business. If you are selling I would urge you to think long and hard about how you choose to sell. Ebay feels way too much like the wild west fraught with con artists and auction houses just aren't getting the dollars the high end books are capable of pulling with a competent intermediary. Bob was worth his weight in gold for me. 

This site functions at several levels. Some are dealers, some collectors. They don't necessarily want the same things. 

nuff said. 

What if a reputable seller (like Bob or myself) put up a big book on eBay?

17 hours ago, blazingbob said:

If a book is priced too high you might as well charge admission to see it.  It is then called a museum piece.  Better yet charge money when people request to take pictures with it.

17 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

thought this was the AF15 club! here's the one i just got from greg (omaha-CGC-comics)

AF15-4.5-front.jpg

Pretty

10 hours ago, VintageComics said:

What if a reputable seller (like Bob or myself) put up a big book on eBay?

Well, I would have to say, "How do I know if you're reputable?

I didn't know Bob from Adam until he came highly recommended on this site. Even then, I was really cautious but the day I let him walk out the door of my house with the book, I really trusted him. I just had the AF15 and wanted the best price I could get. I would never have considered putting it on ebay after reading all of the horror stories about scams, name Hijacking, on and on.  So, to answer that : It would not have mattered to me since the mistrust was now built in.  It seems to continue to be the case that fraud is expected on ebay by many that post here.

I think the difficulty lies in how you get your information out there. All of the main websites list what they're selling. Some fixed price/make an offer, some auction. I continue to find auction to be a high risk way to sell.  That's true in car auctions as well but there, reserves are quite common, not so much in Comics.  I wouldn't feel warm and fuzzy getting 30% less on a book because of the way it went to market. I do think it's good for dealers who have a sense that the grade could be improved as in that 5.0 that everyone's ogling right now, but that's kind of like playing the international money market looking for slight discrepancies in value for tiny periods of time. 

Now do keep in mind, I have almost no experience in buying comics. Bob bought the collection of a child except for all those JIM and Thor's so whatever I say doesn't count for much except I'm viewing your world through the lens of inexperience.  Ebay is the wild west to me. So, take my reactions as those of a neophyte watching people who try to make a living selling a peculiar commodity.

Edited by Glassman10
demon spelling

It will be interesting to see how the CL and HA copies without MC's sell. For all the talk about there being so many copies available, yeah there are but it seems all of them are priced well over market/record prices and most are also heavily chipped. I'd love to see what open competition true market value is on the superior copies everyone is chasing. I think that tells me more about what this book is worth than all the "Or Best Offer" copies floating around. There are 2 in CL and 3 in HA due to sell this November without MC's that present pretty well and all 4.0 and above, as well as like 7 more copies with chipping. I would imagine that's gonna really tell a lot about where this market is.

18 minutes ago, Glassman10 said:

Well, I would have to say, "How do I know if you're reputable?

You're missing my point.

Your point was the eBay was fraught with fraud...but it's also fraught with reputable sellers.

How do you differentiate? Some already know. Others do their research.

My point is that there will always be bad apples but there will also be plenty of reputable sellers on eBay as there are here.

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

You're missing my point.

Your point was the eBay was fraught with fraud...but it's also fraught with reputable sellers.

How do you differentiate? Some already know. Others do their research.

My point is that there will always be bad apples but there will also be plenty of reputable sellers on eBay as there are here.

I gt that there are reputable dealers out there and I get that it is also loaded with fraud.  I also get it that it's up to me to differentiate and when it came time for me to sell, I got major recommendations to take the book to Bob. I didn't get others incidentally.  Bob was the only reputable dealer to say he wanted to come here to see the collection. That says a lot to me coupled with the support he sees here which is enviable I imagine.

So I understand your point but I don't think I'm missing it.  Once you're talking five figures, you tend to start getting cautious. I can't forget that the first person I talked to about these 950 books was somewhat offended when I turned down his offer of $25K for it all. He had a store on Ebay. Now, it's gone.  Trust is a peculiar commodity.Reputation is actually hard to earn particularly at ebay given the various opportunities for fraud and deception that exist there. . 

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

7.0 sold for 132.5

and today a 2nd copy sold for 125 on CL marked today 10/18. Both of them had lesser PQ as well but no MC.  Wow thats a lot of money for a mid grade copy, that it can happen multiple times in a week is eye opening.

9 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

and today a 2nd copy sold for 125 on CL marked today 10/18

I think the 2nd one has a pending sale for a while now

Edited by Gotham Kid

16 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

and today a 2nd copy sold for 125 on CL marked today 10/18. Both of them had lesser PQ as well but no MC. Wow thats a lot of money for a mid grade copy, that it can happen multiple times in a week is eye opening.

"Mid grade"?  

A 7.0 is in the top 8% of all graded blue label copies. lol

A "mid grade" copy of an AF 15 is about a 3.5.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

1 minute ago, Jaydogrules said:

16 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

and today a 2nd copy sold for 125 on CL marked today 10/18. Both of them had lesser PQ as well but no MC. Wow thats a lot of money for a mid grade copy, that it can happen multiple times in a week is eye opening.

"Mid grade"?  

A 7.0 is in the top 8% of all graded blue label copies. lol 

-J.

But again to be fair, 7.0 is normally a mid grade range for silverage and bronze age books. Really its 8.0 (I feel) to call something upper range or high grade. But again its all just personal preference.