• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

On 9/27/2017 at 8:38 AM, Glassman10 said:

It does make one question whether auctioning is actually a good idea. 

On 9/28/2017 at 7:28 AM, Glassman10 said:

I would have been pretty unhappy if I'd put it out to an auction house and seen it get 20K Less.

That's the thing about auctions for a consignor.  You never really know as it's just like a shoot sometimes.

You need to have a bit of luck in terms of timing and having the right set of eyeballs on your book and hopefully no other competing copies in the marketplace at the same time.  :wishluck:

Although I haven't actually seen a scan of your AF 15 or simply forgot what it looked like, I somehow doubt it would have gone for $20K unless the Marvel chipping on it was a real eyesore.  Especially in this current ultra hot AF 15 marketplace where each subsequent sale seemingly surpasses the previous one if the book presents nice relative to its assigned grade.  After all, you have to remember that it was a nicely presenting CGC 5.0 graded copy of AF 15 which managed to fetched $57K in the CC auction back in March that started this whole AF 15 frenzy of a snowball rolling.  And this is now the exact same nicely presenting CGC 5.0 graded copy that Bob has had listed on his site for $75K only a few short months later.  :whatthe:

So, depending on how your AF 15 copy presents relative to its assigned CGC grade of 5.0, it's quite possible that it might have been auctioned off for quite a bit less than your $50K sale, and yet it's also quite conceivable that it could possibly have gone for quite a bit more than $50K.  You wouldn't really have known unless you took that gamble and seen where that auction hammer had fallen.  hm  (shrug) 

Edited by lou_fine

6 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

well, just to drive a spike in the corpse, my accountant just indicated that the tax rate on Stamps, cars and collectibles is 28%.

So, no chicken coop for sure.  What house? 

And I believe this is most likely one of the reasons why the following comment was posted to you a bit earlier:

On 9/28/2017 at 7:41 AM, Bomber-Bob said:

IMO, it's never wise to discuss the specific financials of a transaction, especially on a public forum. Whether it's GPA, the IRS, or the Russians you don't want them to know. I hope you consider this in the future.

My dad used to say that the price of mailing a letter hadn't gone up since 1956 but the cost of storing it had skyrocketed...

When Bob saw the book, he immediately said, "Oh that's quite nice. ". It had one small chip off the upper right hand corner and that was it. It was not listed for $75K by Bob. It took about 55 days to sell it during what has been referred t as aslow time of the year with school starting.  The taxes will get paid. Just imagine the tax on the book that went for $450K back in the summer.  Somewhere back there I said "You are the cow and you will be milked".

If I was going to consider selling a book right now ( except that was my last book), I would not take my chance at auction. I would again go to an excellent dealer with a well proven record.  That's Bob for me. I need to go back to that bus and see if I missed another copy in there under the drivers seat...

and as to auction, I said 20K less, not 20K. 

Edited by Glassman10
clarity

6 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

I'm pretty sure this book was up for sale earlier this year but I can't recall where - the nick next to "may mock" looks so familiar. Maybe someone can remember.

1 hour ago, Jordysnordy said:

I'm pretty sure this book was up for sale earlier this year but I can't recall where - the nick next to "may mock" looks so familiar. Maybe someone can remember.

I think it's been for sale before and more than once.  In its current slab, a sale for it is recorded in GPA in May of this year for $102K.

It sort of looks like that 'nick' near the spine may be a case of color touch removal.  hm

Edited by namisgr

4 minutes ago, namisgr said:

I think it's been for sale before and more than once.  In its current slab, a sale for it is recorded in GPA in May of this year for $102K.

It sort of looks like that 'nick' near the spine may be a case of color touch removal.  hm

You may be on to something there, it didn’t stand out to me at first, but after you mentioned it.......

25 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Since I like to call myself sometimes Sherlock, let me add that it also sold in 2011 for $45000. So it has been in that case for at least 6 years.

On 9/29/2017 at 5:15 PM, Glassman10 said:

well, just to drive a spike in the corpse, my accountant just indicated that the tax rate on Stamps, cars and collectibles is 28%.

So, no chicken coop for sure.  What house? 

Remember you can also deduct anything done with the book to make iit sellable.  So slabbing, pressing, listing, restoration, etc. are all deducted from the sale price. As an example.  Say you paid 500 for a book, 75 for pressing and slabbing, 100 for listing and shipping. You then sell it for 1000, you are liable for the tax on $325.

28 minutes ago, drotto said:

Remember you can also deduct anything done with the book to make iit sellable.  So slabbing, pressing, listing, restoration, etc. are all deducted from the sale price. As an example.  Say you paid 500 for a book, 75 for pressing and slabbing, 100 for listing and shipping. You then sell it for 1000, you are liable for the tax on $325.

Restoration... now there's a way to make it drop in value for sure. 

I'm moving on. Now that I'm bookless, I'm taking a palliative the works pretty well. I'm taping all the early episodes of the Lone Ranger from 1950 when Clayton Moore was the real deal. It's very similar to the books. Innocent soul in jeopardy, evil villain, sketchy plot execution, Hero in Jep, Victim in more Jep, Very Helpful Indian who keeps getting whacked in the head, Deus ex machina to the rescue with stern morality lecture at the end. All in one half hour. 

The difference? The lone ranger on TV will never go up in value.  It probably does have a chat room. If it has a comic, there's the value. 

Edited by Glassman10

2 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

I thought they kept 10% of final bid.

I did too but I went to the site and it says a standard 3% buyers premium is added to each purchase.  I’ve bought quite a few books from comiclink and never realized I was being charged a BP.  

BB7E9D95-8C83-4BDA-8F2D-FDD7C861D52A.png