• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, comicquant said:

I did too but I went to the site and it says a standard 3% buyers premium is added to each purchase.  I’ve bought quite a few books from comiclink and never realized I was being charged a BP.  

BB7E9D95-8C83-4BDA-8F2D-FDD7C861D52A.png

Egads! I never thought they did, wow you learn something everyday! Thank you for the due-diligence 

11 hours ago, BoomCity said:

Cgc 4.5 on clink with some minor chipping went for $34k with the premium. 

$33,100 to be precise.  There are no buyer's premiums on ComicLink or ComicConnect.  Both charge 3% to cover PayPal / credit card fees and will waive that when you pay by check.

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?id=1204740

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

6 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:
17 hours ago, BoomCity said:

Cgc 4.5 on clink with some minor chipping went for $34k with the premium. 

$33,100 to be precise.  There are no buyer's premiums on ComicLink or ComicConnect.  Both charge 3% to cover PayPal / credit card fees and will waive that when you pay by check.

+1

Not sure about CL, but I also believe you cannot use a credit card for the CC auctions if the book goes past $2,500.  :gossip:

15 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

There are no buyer's premiums on ComicLink or ComicConnect.  Both charge 3% to cover PayPal / credit card fees and will waive that when you pay by check.

ComicConnect does not charge a fee for using a credit card ? Comiclink does. 

18 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

ComicConnect does not charge a fee for using a credit card ? Comiclink does. 

No, the two sites have similar policies -- 3% if you pay by credit card, waived if you pay by check.  As Lou Fine said above, I believe ComicConnect won't even take a credit card above a certain threshold.

34 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

No, the two sites have similar policies -- 3% if you pay by credit card, waived if you pay by check.  As Lou Fine said above, I believe ComicConnect won't even take a credit card above a certain threshold.

No, the two sites are different. Comiclink charges the buyer a 3% CC fee. ComicConnect does not charge the buyer for using a CC, however, it takes 3% out of the seller's proceeds if a CC is used. See my two posts below from the CC website. I have to ask, have you ever bought from ComicConnect ? If you did, you would have known they don't charge for CC.

Edited by Bomber-Bob

From the CC website in the Selling section.....

PAYMENTS
ComicConnect shall pay to you the sum of the final realized price of all your items sold, less a small commission retained from the proceeds of the sale.  The Sale Price of items paid for by the Buyer with a fee-bearing payment type, such as credit card or Paypal, shall have a 3% deduction to be applied to the final sale price against the expense of receiving the payment incurred by ComicConnect.  Each payment made to you shall be accompanied with a written accounting of the sales activity, specifying which items sold. All payments to you will be made in US Dollars.

@Bomber-Bob

Correct. For that reason you will find books on ComicConnect that specifically mention that CC purchases will not be accepted ( which is certainly an instruction given to them by consignor )

Edited by Gotham Kid

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

From the CC website in the Selling section.....

PAYMENTS
ComicConnect shall pay to you the sum of the final realized price of all your items sold, less a small commission retained from the proceeds of the sale.  The Sale Price of items paid for by the Buyer with a fee-bearing payment type, such as credit card or Paypal, shall have a 3% deduction to be applied to the final sale price against the expense of receiving the payment incurred by ComicConnect.  Each payment made to you shall be accompanied with a written accounting of the sales activity, specifying which items sold. All payments to you will be made in US Dollars.

From their "Placing an order" information:

59d5b9eb9f3b0_ScreenShot2017-10-05at06_48_50.thumb.png.faaea14189d78956b6590437d7c7be5c.png

I recently had to make a payment through wire-transfer for a book I won from them that ended above 2.5K. But for me, it really didn't make any difference. They were very responsive and fast in sending me all info I needed to make it as quick as possible and they shipped the same day the payment appeared on their account.

when we used to take credit cards in our store in Santa Fe, we had a very high average sale amount per transaction. That let us negotiate a lower fee charge using the swipe machine and deposit process. If your average sale was low, you got a high percent charge which was a killer on those occasional big sales. That's the primary reason you see those signs in stores saying "Please , no transactions under Five dollars."  I'm referring to average sales up well over $250 dollars in a sale and some being five times or more higher than that. 

Times may have changed on that front but I recall having a 1.8% fee on both our Visa /MC merchant accounts. I can't quite see why a selling entity would not want to allow higher transactions to occur particularly if they are just passing on the charges to the client. I did not like taking AMEX at all and we just wouldn't do it since they happily gave all sorts of perks to the card user but passed the cost of those perks on to the entity accepting the card. 

Now that you can earn airline miles so easily with cards, those old guidelines may well be long gone. I'm astonished by how much VISA and Mastercard stock has gone up over the last three to five  years. Mastercard went from an IPO at about $45.00 to well over $800 dollars and then split ten to one and has climbed back to the $140's again.  It's hard to find a stock analyst that doesn't love the stuff. 

10 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

No, the two sites are different. Comiclink charges the buyer a 3% CC fee. ComicConnect does not charge the buyer for using a CC, however, it takes 3% out of the seller's proceeds if a CC is used. See my two posts below from the CC website. I have to ask, have you ever bought from ComicConnect ? If you did, you would have known they don't charge for CC.

I stand corrected on this point.  I went back to re-read the policy and confirmed what you've said about the 3% coming out of the seller's proceeds.  But again, they won't even take credit cards for any amount over $2,500 so I always end up paying by check anyway.

So, yes, I've been buying from ComicConnect for many years but generally my purchases are above that threshold and credit cards don't enter the picture for me.

14 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:
15 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

No, the two sites are different. Comiclink charges the buyer a 3% CC fee. ComicConnect does not charge the buyer for using a CC, however, it takes 3% out of the seller's proceeds if a CC is used.

Looks like we finally nailed down a winner here.  (thumbsu

Looks like it's the buyer that pays on CL and the seller that pays on CC for the credit card usage.  Not sure if CL has a cap on their credit card usage similar to what CC has though.  (shrug)

Other than that I would have to say both auction sites have similar policies with respect to the payment of the 3% credit card fees in the sense that they don't have to pay for it because they simply pass it along to somebody else.  :censored:  lol