• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Spiderturtle said:

According to comiclink it will be the flavor of the upcoming year :wink:

I wouldn't be surprised at all.  I would also put other SA keys like Hulk 1, X-Men 1, TOS 39, JIM 83, Spidey 1 up there too

9 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

I wouldn't be surprised at all.  I would also put other SA keys like Hulk 1, X-Men 1, TOS 39, JIM 83, Spidey 1 up there too

+1 -> Seems like all of those are starting to get more attention than they have been over the last couple of years.  

1 hour ago, peewee22 said:

Lower than expected. What's that...the SKY...it's falling!  :bigsmile:

Really?  It was higher than I expected...  I felt like some of the fervor was tailing off a bit but I guess not.  What was the expected range (in this thread)?

the 415 came in at the very  last minute. The 5.0 I think was 32K- lower than the numbers for a bunch of them last fall.  The 6.5 was a brand X  grade and didn't really do all that well. I think the 1.8 was the surprise.

33 minutes ago, Glassman10 said:

the 415 came in at the very  last minute. The 5.0 I think was 32K- lower than the numbers for a bunch of them last fall.  The 6.5 was a brand X  grade and didn't really do all that well. I think the 1.8 was the surprise.

I sold a 1.8 for 11995 last year and have another (nicer) available for this year at same price. I think the Clink at 11500 was right in line with what they’ve been selling for, at least for me? Maybe others have a different opinion?

1 hour ago, Glassman10 said:

the 415 came in at the very  last minute. The 5.0 I think was 32K- lower than the numbers for a bunch of them last fall. The 6.5 was a brand X  grade and didn't really do all that well. I think the 1.8 was the surprise.

Yet another high profile, embarrassing result for Voldy.

I honestly don't know why anybody would submit anything other than $200 moderns and/or common Copper to them, especially after their Beckett bail out.   

-J.

7 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

I honestly don't know why anybody would submit anything other than $200 moderns and/or common Copper to them, especially after their Beckett bail out.   

-J.

you are aware of far more than I. Right now wall street is in a high volatility mode and if money is moving strangely it would not surprise me. Certainly the bidding was far from robust on all those books. I'm in a mode of protecting my capital certainly. I don't know how many others have that reaction.  Maybe the EU will put a tariff on Golden and Silver Age comics along with Harleys and Bourbon..:whatthe:

2 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

the 5.0 was 34k. Heavy chipping and below average PQ for the grade, but good color and well centered (could just be me, but i find the more of the 12 cent circle you can see, the higher the price).  Think it did what a low PQ chipped up copy should go for.

Overall I think the AF15 prices in CL were decent when you look at what was sold.

1. The 9.0 seems in line with the last recorded 9.0 of 395k. 20k bump after a year makes sense. Maybe like 5% off full market but this isn't a stock its a bid on a rare item, you cant track it to the penny (at least I cant).

2. The 7.0 is about 15% higher at 110k  then the last recorded sale 3 months ago. I know a few have moved hands privately but in public auctions this seems like a strong price.

3. The 6.5 voldy just proves again people are shying away from this company. Badly centered or not that book came in like 5-10k light. I bet whoever buys it is gonna crack and ccs press and regrade in hopes of getting a 6.5 CGC, or worse case a 6.0 and at least get out of the lesser respected case.

4.  7.5 restored, 'meh' its a shoot on those anyway

5. 5.0 was chipped and below average PQ, doing 34k seems right to me based on past sales.  it should have been on the lower scale from last year and it was. Price moved up a LOT in the last 12 months. It leveled off and stabilized after the mania subsided. This seems like the new norm for chipped above average pricing.

6. 3.0 at 17k makes sense. Chipped up and a wear spot on on the cover with average for grade PQ. Its actually a strong price considering it was low end 3.0

7.  2.5 SS with Tan pages and Tape for 14k seems exactly right for this. No chips, but everything else not great.

8. 2.0 UK for 8200 seemed low. No chipping, good PQ and it overall looked nice for a 2.0 It just looked very nice for the grade. Had this been a US version Honestly I think it would be a great copy for a collection. I think to many copies up for sale hurt this.

9. 1.8 for 11.5k was a very strong sale, Think that's a public auction record? I know the cover had all those cracks and it had tape on the interior but it just looked better so i guess it makes sense.

Prices all made sense and seemed strong overall. I really think the trend of "going up as we get to summer" makes sense. Prices just seem to rise the closer we get to summer and convention season. Nothing about this auction struck me as crazy low or high in terms of AF15. Looks stable, stable is good.

8 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

3. The 6.5 voldy just proves again people are shying away from this company. Badly centered or not that book came in like 5-10k light. I bet whoever buys it is gonna crack and ccs press and regrade in hopes of getting a 6.5 CGC, or worse case a 6.0 and at least get out of the lesser respected case.

Indeed. In the art world I lived in I did suggest to younger artists  that it was very easy to raise your prices but if it met  resistance, it was really difficult to lower them again. In the one year I had my collection being evaluated prior to its sale, I spent a lot of time looking at the grading differentials between companies and it didn't take a rocket scientist to see the discrepancies between them and the sale price subsequently commanded. While relaxed standards on grading was obvious even to the brain dead, speed and price grading ultimately seems toxic to me. I haven't a clue how one would ever walk it back to respectability which is why I make the artworld comparison.

I would still make the observation that selling through a reputable dealer that knows their clients and markets is a far more attractive way to do this rather than to go to auction.  It certainly was the case for me. 

2 hours ago, zhamlau said:

More like $10k-$15k+ light based on a couple of other fairly recent CGC copy sales.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

Indeed. The Bob Storms 6.0 copy went at $67.5 K listed. It did take about six months to sell. He did really well with any and all of his AF15's in the last six months near as I can see based on his own statistics in his website.. 

1 hour ago, Glassman10 said:

Indeed. The Bob Storms 6.0 copy went at $67.5 K listed. It did take about six months to sell. He did really well with any and all of his AF15's in the last six months near as I can see based on his own statistics in his website.. 

Bob is one of the best in the biz...its not by accident or luck, his results...he works hard and has developed a great clientele...

5 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

+1

3 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Bob is one of the best in the biz...its not by accident or luck, his results...he works hard and has developed a great clientele...

I absolutely lucked out, based on rave reviews here which were wonderful. He was here for two days and we sat around the kitchen table with stacks of books while he told me stories. When I was initially  sticking my toe in the water selling, He was the only one who simply jumped on the collection and drove up from Long Island to New Hampshire. When he told me what he wanted to ask for the 5.0 AF15, it was just stunning to me, more than double the prevailing current price. . Simply handing him the book at the end of two days and waving him out the driveway was a huge leap of faith.

It took about six weeks and he sold it for that amount I'm not inclined  to mention anymore . He sold every AF15 he had and at the time, I think there were six or seven. He really works for it and the stories were worth the price of admission. Bob's a jewel. 

Edited by Glassman10
terrible math