• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Showcase Collecting Thread
5 5

944 posts in this topic

DC Showcases into 2 sets 1-61, 62-104

Honestly, that list is long, maybe more like mid November 2015.

Pardon me for asking but what is the significance of a cutoff at 61/62 ? 62 is dated 5-6 1966, books are still @ 12 Cents, break in the middle of a Spectre run. Seems rather arbitrary. Enlighten me.

DC Showcases into 2 sets 1-61, 62-104

Honestly, that list is long, maybe more like mid November 2015.

Pardon me for asking but what is the significance of a cutoff at 61/62 ? 62 is dated 5-6 1966, books are still @ 12 Cents, break in the middle of a Spectre run. Seems rather arbitrary. Enlighten me.

....all the Spectres should be included.... for the sake of consistency with the other subsets 2c GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

It was sort of arbitrary, but I did ask people for feedback when I first floated the idea. :)

But it's not too late to change it obviously. It's tough to find a clean place to cleave the set in two because the change to more humorous characters happens with 62 & 63 and then bam Spectre is back for one last hurrah and then were back to Infinity Five again.

If we want to just go by the numbers 52 is the absolute half-way point, 60 is also a nice place to split, except 61 again is Spectre. So I put it to the board, where could the split be - is 64/65 the right place, I don't know.

That's why I was asking if Showcase #88, February, 1970 was considered the 1st Bronze Age issue. I was wondering if maybe that was a more logical place to split the set.

To be honest it's very self-serving of me to want it to split at 61/62. I don't want to have to go through the pain of trying to complete the second half, which is arguably as tough as the 1st part albeit less costly to assemble.

But maybe we should rethink this and even have a vote or poll if enought members actually care about this that is. Thoughts? (shrug)

I recently added this Showcase 37 to my collection. I put it on Mysladdedcomics over two days ago and it has received 0 views. I think this is a reflection of the current marketplace where most are interested in only what's hot and trending. The 'classics', like Showcase, are not in vogue.

Maybe someone from this thread will look at the attached and get this book a 'view'.

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=25494&GSub=887

Done! Beauteous!

Do I even count though, being the pushover that I am for less-than-hot-titles like this?

Give it time my friend, give it tine . . .

Thanks. It now has one view !!!! :whee:

:roflmao: It now has 92 views and is the #1 viewed book in the Latest Activity category. You guys are funny ! Thanks.

Thank you! I'm stoked!

I can't believe I finally made it. :acclaim:

As soon as I get everything graded and update my registry set, I'll raise the curtain! (thumbs u

Congrats Bob for a great set. An awesome achievement and you have great passion for DC's. :applause:

Edited by showcase22gr1959

:golfclap:

You probably helped me to this goal more than any single individual. (thumbs u

..... my entire collection is the result of help from others..... and I love it when I get the chance to pass it on ..... I spend half the time at most shows looking for books for other folks. As for the cut off...... look real hard at the cover to Showcase 64 and tell me, honestly, that it isn't worthy (shrug) GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by jimjum12

I totally agree with you it is truly an iconic Murphy Anderson cover. (thumbs u

sc64c_zpsbf933210.jpg

Like I said, i struggled with where to make the break and I guess I chose the less logical place to do it.

I don't have any issue (no pun) including #62 & 63 in the first set . . . the 2 Inferior Five issues, and breaking the set up at the #64.

I just hope I haven't started something that I can't stop now. I'll write Gemma and ask her if we can make the change - and if it's ok with everyone, to move the break to #64/65. Let's see what she says. :grin: