• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Showcase Collecting Thread
5 5

944 posts in this topic

I almost went after the SC #37 7.0 as well. It was so cheap it was hard for me to hold off from bidding. If I wasn't trying to not buy any books for the rest of the year unless they are must haves I would have.

I'm in the same place, at least I should be. The only difference between us is you had will-power and I didn't lol

Being a DC collector I don't shy away from cream pages. But I have a soft spot for white pages :luhv:

Awwwww man.......

DC Showcases into 2 sets 1-61, 62-104 upload error-coming soon...

I just hope my Showcase 1-104 will remain as is. I really don't want to participate in this. The way I look at the registry is no longer competitive. It's just a convenient way to document my books. To be forced to split up my sets would be a nuisance. Sorry but I still don't understand the point of all this.

You won't lose the old arrangement. Somebody requested a 22-24 Registry Set and got it. The point is there's a very high degree of difficulty completing the entire set and some may want to tackle the higher numbers as they are affordable. Or like me where the opposite is the case and I don't want to collect the 62-104 issues at this time and I'd like to have the abbreviated set (1-61). Apart from that you can participate or not, it's really of no consequence.

Just completed my last task of 2014 : add a Challengers issue to my Showcase collection.

DSCN8372551x800_zpsb024d2b0.jpg

Next objective should be to buy a Lois Lane (last character I don't have one showcase issue) but it may be difficult.

Nice issues can be found : there has been nice #9 for sale this year. I remember a nice CGC 7.0 with a fair price (Boba ?) ;)

I will have to sell a lot of my collection to buy this one anyway :)

Just got this upgrade back from CGC - bought it raw here on the boards as a 5.0, but they thought otherwise.

SC1645c_zps5a73df1b.jpg

SC1645b_zps3743f2dc.jpg

Interesting how this copy (selling on eBay) of the same book same grade from the competition grading company looks compared to my copy graded by CGC.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd38/ollerom_photos/Funstuff/ScreenShot2015-01-13at14059PM_zps7a3ed87b.png

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd38/ollerom_photos/Funstuff/ScreenShot2015-01-13at14105PM_zpsaa50033f.png

That's a gift-grade if ever I saw one :/

Heck, even my under copy CGC graded 1.8 looks better than that one :eyeroll:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd38/ollerom_photos/SC16c_zpsb5a6896d.jpg

http://s226.photobucket.com/user/ollerom_photos/media/SC16b_zpse9607500.jpg.html?sort=3&o=9

CBCS grading is atrocious. Every single book I have seen in one of their holders is overgraded by any reasonable standard.

I think the market is already realizing this as the % paid for the same book in CGC holder for one of their books has been steadily dropping.

Thanks Sammy! I sure wish they'd have given it a 5.0. It's my only 4.5 in the set.

But I'm not buying any more Showcase 16's to try get a better one anytime soon.

Tough book! :P

That's great! :headbang:

As soon as I find a book I've desperately looked for, they come out of the woodwork :cry:

But the fun of collecting this title is the challenge of hunting down the tough books. It's not like Spider-Man where you can easily find every issue in every shade of grade.

IT IS FINALLY DONE - CGC HAS SPOKEN - THE SPILT IN THE SHOWCASE REGISTRY SETS IS . . . 1-64 65-104 :acclaim:

Now we dance . . . :whee:

Sam, you can now have 3 Registry sets, make that 4 with the 22-24 set lol

…and the 1-104 set is still ;)

I'm thrilled I can complete a set like 1-64, and aspire to build a 65-104 someday.

Anyway, I'm kinda buzzed that I got something to happen here. :cloud9:

I'm truly honored (worship)

The gauntlet has been thrown, the challenge accepted :insane:

Seriously dude, you have a couple of great sets going there.

I want to see the day when they are completed. (worship)

Thanks for the compliment, Sammy :foryou:

Bob