• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AVENGERS 57 CLUB: Visions of Vision

202 posts in this topic

That doesn't surprise me. During the late 1970s Howard #1 and Fear #19 were the hottest books around. Then the movie came out ... :tonofbricks:

And they once again become "just" cool books… now maybe "hotness" and "coolness" do not get along together very well for long? :D

BTW, I have a #57, thanks to the awesome Buddy (bb8) – must dig it out and scan it. :)

I got one. I'm still debating if I should have it graded? Thoughts?

It very likely depends on what you want to do with it. If its for you to keep I cant see the point.

I agree with vaillant if your keeping it for your collection I wouldn't, the only reason I got mine graded was I got the four free submissions when I joined CGC and that was one of the one's I decided to send in. If your planning on selling it though and it's high grade then I would. Just my 2c

Was planning on selling to upgrade mine but at this point I dont think I will be getting anything in the 9+ range lol

$_57.JPG

For a 6.5 that's really nice, I think I would stick right where you're at. Welcome to the club :applause:

That doesn't surprise me. During the late 1970s Howard #1 and Fear #19 were the hottest books around. Then the movie came out ... :tonofbricks:

And they once again become "just" cool books now maybe "hotness" and "coolness" do not get along together very well for long? :D

BTW, I have a #57, thanks to the awesome Buddy (bb8) must dig it out and scan it. :)

Scan that puppy and let us have a look lol

OK, since you asked so nicely, here it is! :D

Back cover is dirty as heck, and a bit of dirt overall, but sharp corners and overall nice – I would have not spent more on it anyway, so I have got to thank Buddy (bb8) once again! :whee:

Now who would be so nice to find me a nice, white covered #58 for cheap so I can read the story? :foryou:

541Yo2Ch.jpg

Im in.. for both America and Mexico! (thumbs u

Avengers57_Mexicojpgoriginal.jpeg

(worship) Beautiful books!

Thanks my man! And since I am at it and I have an opportunity too... im going to make another point in the whole reprint/edition debate. This is related to Avengers 57 and as such I don't believe is off topic. hm

Notice the American version says behold the vision. Behold means to “see” in a formal way. As if the reader and the poor avengers below him are made to be forcibly aware of him. Well, how can ya not he is huge on the cover!

Now the Mexican translation in Spanish says Cuidado con la vision! This was the decision of the translator and editor that let it fly at La Prensa. They decided to change the tone of the cover…… They chose to use fear instead of awe.

Ok… now there is a difference between cultural translations and pure translations. But, my understanding of Spanish and the meaning on the cover is that cuidado means “to be careful of”, or also the more intense “beware of”. So the Prensa cover is saying “be careful of” or the stronger “beware the Vision”. The Vision is dangerous and something to be feared in the La Prensa cover version. If taking both covers and analyzing them together I personally prefer the Vision as something to be feared then a being to be in awe of. I like the editorial decision the Mexican translator and editor used.

This is just one example of where the supposed direct reprint was not a direct reprint in a pure sense. It was altered and additional meaning and tone was added or replaced. This happens all the time with foreigns, and stories or covers can be changed and altered both in the art and even in the fundamentals of the story itself. Foreign writers/translators/editors made artistic decisions that on a very basic level means calling these foreign books simply "reprints" does them very little justice. Weather you want to call them….. versions, editions, variants, foreigns I don’t care… but don’t disregard them as simple reprints just because you can’t read them and infer the differences hiding within. These subtle or big differences are just one of many reasons I have become a foreign addict. 2c

Cultural translation can come to bite you in the funny bone as well. In issue 4 of FCC magazine you will learn of a villain whos name directly translated into Greek means “vibrator/”. A sex toy…. The translator could have called it something else but instead chose the literal translation for the fun of it and so that villain is the “Vibrator”! Again, a culturally misunderstood direct reprint? maybe, or maybe it is something more than just a "reprint" and as such deserves a different classification. The foreign translators/editors were artists in their own right. :preach:

Honestly, I prefer "behold" for the Vision.

Cool, tomatoe / tomato (thumbs u

And I wouldn’t think of something like that when I hear the word "vibrator" in english (or italian, for what matters).

The very concept of "sex toy" is something morbid.

You underestimate the perversity of average American male Claudio. Im sorry... (shrug)

OK, since you asked so nicely, here it is! :D

Back cover is dirty as heck, and a bit of dirt overall, but sharp corners and overall nice I would have not spent more on it anyway, so I have got to thank Buddy (bb8) once again! :whee:

Now who would be so nice to find me a nice, white covered #58 for cheap so I can read the story? :foryou:

541Yo2Ch.jpg

Claudio! Looks great, happy to oblige!