• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FINAL SCHOMBURG POLL -ENDS Sunday 11:59PM EST

69 posts in this topic

Does anyone own any Schomburg art?

I've seen some on CAF but that's about it!

Yes. I've also browsed CAF and noticed that some of the folks put up scans of art from other owner's collections.

For instance, this painting isn't owned by the person displaying it...

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=923966&GSub=134059

Someone with the initials C E put this up on 8/11/2012 and then listed it as not for sale, but he neither owned the art then nor does he own it now.

Of course, I'm sure it's an innocent mistake. ;)

I've considered contacting the gentleman to request he remove that image from the gallery or at least change the description, but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle.

Besides, he's right about one thing, ...it's NFS. lol

Side Note: Mark McDermott owned this Schomburg original prior to the gentleman from whom I purchased it.

Here's the actual painting...

13e7ab6e-d545-47bd-8663-a0df603183a4_zpsf0ed8945.jpg

I do think it's innocent. It seems to be part of a special project that he outlines in an introduction to his gallery:

I DO NOT OWN MOST OF THESE PAINTINGS AND DRAWINGS. But I have always wanted to see all of Alex Schomburg's recreations of classic Timely comic book covers together, in one place. To my knowledge there has never been any attempt to gather together images of all of Schomburg's work of this type, created between 1976 and 1989. The vast majority of these paintings and drawings were sold through Collectors Book Store in Hollywood, California and Howard Lowery in Burbank, California. I have copies of all the promotional brochures and auction catalogues in which Schomburg's art was illustrated, as well as some photographs and transparencies of Schomburg paintings which were given to me over the years by my good friend, Howard Lowery. I have scanned the best images at my disposal of each painting, all of which are shown in this gallery room. The only painting which I actually own is the re-creation of All Select No. 2, which is described at some length in my other Alex Schomburg gallery. The following is a description of how these works of art came to be painted, how they were marketed, and any other information I have about Alex Schomburg and his art. I have consulted with Howard Lowery in an attempt to be as accurate as possible. I hope that these recollections add to the appreciation of Schomburg's work, but, ultimately, it is the impression each painting and drawing makes on the viewer that is of greatest importance.

:gossip: Love that recreation of Marv Mys 66. :cloud9:

I do think it's innocent. It seems to be part of a special project that he outlines in an introduction to his gallery:

I DO NOT OWN MOST OF THESE PAINTINGS AND DRAWINGS. But I have always wanted to see all of Alex Schomburg's recreations of classic Timely comic book covers together, in one place. To my knowledge there has never been any attempt to gather together images of all of Schomburg's work of this type, created between 1976 and 1989. The vast majority of these paintings and drawings were sold through Collectors Book Store in Hollywood, California and Howard Lowery in Burbank, California. I have copies of all the promotional brochures and auction catalogues in which Schomburg's art was illustrated, as well as some photographs and transparencies of Schomburg paintings which were given to me over the years by my good friend, Howard Lowery. I have scanned the best images at my disposal of each painting, all of which are shown in this gallery room. The only painting which I actually own is the re-creation of All Select No. 2, which is described at some length in my other Alex Schomburg gallery. The following is a description of how these works of art came to be painted, how they were marketed, and any other information I have about Alex Schomburg and his art. I have consulted with Howard Lowery in an attempt to be as accurate as possible. I hope that these recollections add to the appreciation of Schomburg's work, but, ultimately, it is the impression each painting and drawing makes on the viewer that is of greatest importance.

:gossip: Love that recreation of Marv Mys 66. :cloud9:

Thanks, my friend... :acclaim:

...and big thanks for the info too! I didn't want to believe it was intentional.

On the downside though, CE's caveat isn't with the listing, so unless looking for his introduction, you're unlikely to come across it. If just browsing images the impression left is one of claiming ownership based on the description with the scan.

When I first came across the listing, literally days after the gentleman posted it, this hit me the wrong way. At the time, I'd been thinking about uploading scans of my art collection in the CAF gallery, but it left such a bad taste that I decided against it.

I voted... wish exciting #60 was on the list... not sure how 61 and 66 made it on the list and not 60... do we get write-ins? (:

I agree. It is superior to the other two.

12311865403_57fde009e1_c.jpg

That's an amazing painting BB-Gun! By the way, Exciting 60 was in an earlier round of voting, but was not selected. The only XELA cover to make the cut - by voting alone - was Startling 49. Not much love for the XELA covers. Exciting 61 and 66 were saves by me and Cheetah respectively. I debated about saving 61 or 60 but ultimately chose 61. It was my first XELA cover and thus I am biased.