• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cant decide if ebay seller is stupid or thinks I'm stupid

51 posts in this topic

(or option C we both are)

So I was keeping an eye out for a kirby signed book... and one auction closed but was not relisted so I contacted the seller to see if they still had it and were relisting it at some point (I keep watching it to see if the seller will ever list it as a true auction).

It had been repeatedly listed as an auction with an opening of $199.

get a message back from the seller about the book:

Sure. For you. No problem. It's definitely one of my favorite signed J. Kirby pieces. If you promise to give it a good home, I would be willing to sell it to you directly. If I relist it, my starting price will be at $299.99 on eBay however, we can expedite the process; I'm willing to give you a deal at $250.00 (which includes USPS Priority expedited shipping) and it would be a final sale. ...The piece has a retail value of $450 - $500 but half is a fair price I can live with...)

:facepalm: So first, this guy has listed, and relisted this thing 8 times for $199 (but THIS time it's going to be relisted at $299).

But lucky me he's going to give me a deal on it for just $250! That's only $50 more than if I'd have just bid in one of the last 10 auctions for the same book.

and now I see it's been listed at $250 (hmm what happened to that "if I relist it, it would be at $299?)...cause if it hasnt sold at a lower price, maybe a higher price will create some interest.

oh and if you wanna see it be my guest!

Did you offer him $199 for it or just ask if he was going to re-list it.

What are you willing to pay for it?

I asked him if it was still available, and if he was going to be relisting it...

yeah I was more in the $40-50 range... looking at recent completed sales that seemed to be the market for a raw non-key... but if he's listing at $200-250 and think's it's worth twice that, I dont think we're gonna come to an agreement.

Option D. Neither one of you are stupid.

After thinking about it, here's the conclusion that Ive come to...

The seller has listed this item on ebay 8 times. He doesn't get a single bite, but when he does get a bite from someone who's really interested in it (you), he thinks its a good idea to jack up the price a bit In hopes that a desperate buyer will pay the extra increase.

This has actually happened to me once before with a comic book on ebay. It sat for months at $3, then the seller ended the auction. I decided to ask him about it and he jacked up the price to $10. What a tool.

Anyways, I would ask him to accept your lowest offer and see what he says. Good luck!

Btw, I'm always hesitant to buy a signed book (especially on ebay) without any hard proof that it's legit.

The seller has listed this item on ebay 8 times. He doesn't get a single bite, but when he does get a bite from someone who's really interested in it (you), he thinks its a good idea to jack up the price a bit In hopes that a desperate buyer will pay the extra increase.

This has actually happened to me once before with a comic book on ebay. It sat for months at $3, then the seller ended the auction. I decided to ask him about it and he jacked up the price to $10. What a tool.

Anyways, I would ask him to accept your lowest offer and see what he says. Good luck!

Btw, I'm always hesitant to buy a signed book (especially on ebay) without any hard proof that it's legit.

You were trying to argue him down from $3? hm

He may have thought he listed it at $299 to begin with.

the first 8 times he listed it?

maybe...

He might just have been rolling the listing over without thinking about it. There is a big dealer who has been listing and relisting an FC duck book with art by "Carl Baker" forever without bothering to notice the typo.

Most likely, though, your expression of interest led to him jacking up the price.

You were trying to argue him down from $3? hm

Ha! No. I asked If he would sell it to me for the price he had it listed at ($3), then he spiked the price to $10.

Offer him $190 direct through Paypal. If he doesn’t want it, then make the choice of buying it or letting him insert it into his rectal orifice. He jacked up the price when he saw a fish swimming close to his boat. If he’s going to pull this now, then if something goes wrong with the sale (shipping/condition), you’re going to be for more problems.

Offer him $190 direct through Paypal. If he doesn’t want it, then make the choice of buying it or letting him insert it into his rectal orifice. He jacked up the price when he saw a fish swimming close to his boat. If he’s going to pull this now, then if something goes wrong with the sale (shipping/condition), you’re going to be for more problems.

and that's why I'm not going near the seller...

he made a point in his offer that "it would be a final sale" which to me sounds like he's trying to call no-returnsies without actually saying it (he did want to go thru Paypal, which surprised me... he'd probably try to push me over to Personal after we agreed on price...

again, all of it just means I look elsewhere.

Maybe it's me...but I don't see a COA :shrug:

Its on eBay and the seller stated he had it signed in person. What could go wrong with that?

lol Plus Jack's sig is about the easiest one on the planet to forge . . . just sayin' :grin:

Maybe it's me...but I don't see a COA :shrug:

Its on eBay and the seller stated he had it signed in person. What could go wrong with that?

Reminds me of when you see Thurman Munson's autograph on balls that list Bud Selig as commissioner.