• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cant decide if ebay seller is stupid or thinks I'm stupid

51 posts in this topic

You are not stupid. The seller may not be stupid either - could just be misinformed on value of the book. No way Kirby's signature adds $200+ to the value of a book. Unlike other's have suggested though, I think there is no point in offering him $50 for the book. He thinks it's worth 5x that, has relisted it now 9x. Just walk away and look for another book.

I'd love to get something signed by Jack

Just did a search on Ebay and there's really nothing for less then a few hundred minimum.

In fact the book we are talking about appears to be one of the cheapest available.

Not to sound like the pawn stars guy... They can list it for what ever they want, look at completed sales of raw signed Kirby books... Focus on non-key signatures. I saw plenty of completed auctions in the range I was willing to pay,

And thus why I'm ok waiting.

he posted a link to his auctions on the Jack Kirby facebook page and I made a comment about the authentication of the piece.

he got really upset over a simple question and other members of the group had to chime in telling him to calm down.

he posted a link to his auctions on the Jack Kirby facebook page and I made a comment about the authentication of the piece.

he got really upset over a simple question and other members of the group had to chime in telling him to calm down.

Link?

Link?

It was between 8 and 12 days ago. Can't find the exact back and forth but he keeps posting the links here

https://www.facebook.com/groups/6624070781/

Don't know how good they really are, but I like the concept:

And the Kirby signature they use as an example of NOT authentic looks a lot like the one the book being discussed. It's not fluid, it looks jerky and like the pen was re-positioned a few times

http://www.csacomics.com/authenticate.htm

Don't know how good they really are, but I like the concept:

And the Kirby signature they use as an example of NOT authentic looks a lot like the one the book being discussed. It's not fluid, it looks jerky and like the pen was re-positioned a few times

http://www.csacomics.com/authenticate.htm

That signature shows hesitation marks described in the link above in the bottom loop of of the j, the k in jack, the arms of the k in kirby and the b in kirby-it was definitely not written fast, the way a real signature would be. to his comment that he personally witnessed it i would reply i only have your word on that. the forensic evidence says otherwise.

Random Kirby books are only worth about $50-100 from what I've seen.

If I had known that people here were looking for a Kirby signed book, I wouldn't have consigned it to the MCS auction. I'm not trying to advertise (I won't post a link), but its only at $3 now, so it might be a steal for someone.

fake signatures are fairly easy to spot-they almost always have those hesitation marks.....very very few skilled forgers out there.

PS anyone with Stan Lee signed books unwitnessed by CGC has graffiti on their book....

matter of fact even the witnessed stuff is graffiti in my opinion. YOU DONT WRITE ON COMIC BOOK COVERS. EVEN IF YOU'RE STAN LEE.

ask yourself this question-if you had a copy of action #1 would you want jerry siegel to sign it?

Unless you've got a red flag collection going at home you're better off just walking away. I know it doesn't always seem like it, but the item you're looking for - with a seller you can be comfortable with - will turn up eventually.

Is this guy and this signature legit? Maybe. But let someone else's money find out, is my advice.

Unless it's a one of a kind item, I'm very risk averse.

Unless you've got a red flag collection going at home you're better off just walking away. I know it doesn't always seem like it, but the item you're looking for - with a seller you can be comfortable with - will turn up eventually.

Is this guy and this signature legit? Maybe. But let someone else's money find out, is my advice.

Unless it's a one of a kind item, I'm very risk averse.

very wise. also to think about-if you go to re sell it it's no longer a book with a 'witnessed autograph'. It's a book you bought from someone who said they witnessed it. Like driving a new car off the lot, it lost value the minute you purchased it.

fake signatures are fairly easy to spot-they almost always have those hesitation marks.....very very few skilled forgers out there.

PS anyone with Stan Lee signed books unwitnessed by CGC has graffiti on their book....

matter of fact even the witnessed stuff is graffiti in my opinion. YOU DONT WRITE ON COMIC BOOK COVERS. EVEN IF YOU'RE STAN LEE.

ask yourself this question-if you had a copy of action #1 would you want jerry siegel to sign it?

I agree with you about the signatures thing - but I'll point out it's old school thinking. That's OK, because at 59 pushing 60 I'm old school. The few books I've had signed over the years were always in the margin of the first page. But a lot of collectors now like signatures on covers. I remember when I was first "introduced" to this concept. It was the early 90's, everything comics was "hot" and a lot of sports card dealers began to sell comics. The sports card hobby was comfortable with signed cards - and these dealers started promoting signed books.

I thought it was heresy :tonofbricks:

I'm going with that too. He had a book for 199 and no takers then someone comes along maybe interested and instead of jumping on it greed makes him jack up the price. That is stupid. A bird in the hand, dude.