• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Album Covers inspired by Comic Books

115 posts in this topic

this thread reminded me that for many years I had a poster of the music group The Turtles ( Elinor, You Showed Me, Happy Together ,etc) up on my bedroom wall. The members were depicted as the Fantastic Four. I just spent several minutes trying to find an image of it on the net, but was not successful.

I do distinctly remember the guy with the big hair ( Flo) being The Thing

Does anybody else remember this?

Can anyone find an image?

Not exactly a comic...but a pulp. Took me a while to track this down, but I'm thrilled to have it in my collection.

The drummer of Queen - Roger Taylor - was a huge sci-fi fan. He tracked down the artist - Frank Kelly Freas - and asked him to re-do the original art. The album cover featured the members of the band, who were all killed by the giant robot.

AstoundingScienceFictionOctober1955.jpg

img067.jpg

tumblr_m56atkyvBb1r6ycrio1_500.gif

Not exactly a comic...but a pulp. Took me a while to track this down, but I'm thrilled to have it in my collection.

The drummer of Queen - Roger Taylor - was a huge sci-fi fan. He tracked down the artist - Frank Kelly Freas - and asked him to re-do the original art. The album cover featured the members of the band, who were all killed by the giant robot.

AstoundingScienceFictionOctober1955.jpg

img067.jpg

tumblr_m56atkyvBb1r6ycrio1_500.gif

lol

I was pretty young when I saw those covers at my friends house (his big brother had them, along with those cool Journey covers) and they kind freaked me out.

Don't remember that at all, and I love the Turtles. You're not by any chance thinking of the Battle of the Bands gatefold image? It's a send-up of various genre bands that still makes me laugh.

turt003.jpg

No it was d3finately a poster. As a teenager the poster was the last thing I saw b4 going to sleep and the first thing I saw when waking up. I might have won it from a radio station. I also remember another guy who was Mr Fantastic.wearing their blue suit and was one one side of the poster with his arm stretched out to thenother side

As a kid, I was always fascinated by the art on my dad's albums. There were definitely a few that freaked me out. I remember loving the Stones Let It Bleed, something about that wacky cake and the before and after pics on each side of the album. :cloud9:

18zxzn95czp9gjpg.jpg

There is a local band in Atlanta called Time Before the War. Our neighbor is friends with the band. My son is a budding entrepreneur and likes to sell his drawings at local comic shows as well as in the neighborhood. His favorite subject for a while was inspired by The War that Time Forgot from the DC comic series. The band loved it and bought several of his art pieces for posters and an album cover. I don't see the album cover, but here are two of the posters with comic-inspired art by my (then) 8-year old son.

Dino_zps906a5dd2.jpg

Robot_zps83f21cfe.png

There is a local band in Atlanta called Time Before the War. Our neighbor is friends with the band. My son is a budding entrepreneur and likes to sell his drawings at local comic shows as well as in the neighborhood. His favorite subject for a while was inspired by The War that Time Forgot from the DC comic series. The band loved it and bought several of his art pieces for posters and an album cover. I don't see the album cover, but here are two of the posters with comic-inspired art by my (then) 8-year old son.

Dino_zps906a5dd2.jpg

Robot_zps83f21cfe.png

Great post. I remember going to shows at The Highlander and Smith's Olde Bar in the 90's (and also The Point).

darksaga_zps7eb58b77.jpg

from wiki:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Dark Saga is the fourth studio album by American heavy metal band Iced Earth.

Cover Art

The cover art of The Dark Saga depicts comic book artist Todd McFarlane's character Spawn (on whom the entire album is based). Jon Schaffer, who was a big fan of Spawn, originally contacted the director of promotions for Todd McFarlane, about possibly writing music for the upcoming Spawn film adaptation and animated series. Schaffer eventually met McFarlane and asked if he would do an album cover for Iced Earth, to which McFarlane agreed.Later on, Schaffer decided that the whole album should based on Spawn, seeing how the character would be on the cover anyway. At first, McFarlane wasn't on board with the idea, but allowed the band to go along with it.

Release and promotion

The Dark Saga was released on July 23, 1996. The cover art work allowed the album to market in comic book shops. Iced Earth also made several appearances at comic book conventions to promote the album.Todd McFarlane was also satisfied with the album, although Iced Earth's music didn't end-up in the Spawn film, nor the animated series. During the album's supporting tour, Iced Earth played their first headlining concerts in Germany.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------