• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chuck cutting prices....Believe it when I see it.

107 posts in this topic

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/02/13/mile-high-comics-to-change-their-business-practices-and-get-very-very-busy-tomorrow/

Im sure Ill check it out but Im not sure it will bring forth any goodwill and make me want to buy from them again. Im older and much wiser than I was in my youth.

If the business model was working for so long why would it change now?

Why did Lone Star close their shops and become a web only company?

Times change. Adapt or go the way of the Dodo.

From what I understand, they didn't close all of them, they sold the better remaining ones to a long time employee.

Their web business was so good, the family could focus on that.

Their everyday prices are better than MHC's sale prices.

Their 'buying' program' is light years better than MHC's

Their website is light years better and easier to navigate.

They have scans for high dollar books.

MHC's has a long way to go.

in my experience Mile High practices revolve around them sending you a copy of a book that was over-graded, at which point you return it and receive a replacement, which has also been over-graded. This continues ad infinitum until you can't be bothered to deal with them anymore.

Are we talking about THE Chuck Rozanski?

Oh I get it,His motto to sell comics for outlandishly expensive prices KNOWINGLY ripping people off.Then he gets a distinguishing thought of right from wrong?

hm I call BS! Nobodies buying his high priced sheit anymore,and he has to do something.

Chuckles-I got it! Let's sell comics for their actual value. hm

:roflmao: Chuck slays me.

I'm not comparing the two, only noting that Chuck isn't the only comic shop to change their business practices. The days of dealing with an uninformed public are over.

I have not bought from Chuck in years. I literally just checked out from MCS's auction, where I dropped about $1500.

I'm not comparing the two, only noting that Chuck isn't the only comic shop to change their business practices. The days of dealing with an uninformed public are over.

I have not bought from Chuck in years. I literally just checked out from MCS's auction, where I dropped about $1500.

+1

In my "beginning days" when I first started making internet comic buys, I remember checking out My Comic Shop then MHC and wondering what the H-E-Double Hockey Sticks was going on?

How could one retailer have the "same" book(s) priced so much more than a competitor?

Needless to say, I have NEVER bought anything from MHC.

Do you guys think this was advertisement with statements like this?

One employee of Mile High Comics told me how deliberate this all is. “It has been the practice of MHC to artificially raise prices listed on our website, to about double market value, and then to have “codeword sales” that apply a fifty, sixty, or sixty-five percent discount off of those prices. The end result being that, when the discount was applied, the actual price paid by the customer ended up being close to, or just a little less, than market value.”

I've bought steadily of MHC for years for one simple reason...

"International Orders $35.01 to $100.00: $7.00 (Standard International Shipping)."

Orders over $100 are frickin' free! :o

Using one of his 50% or 60% off code words brings the price down to normal levels.

But for MHC to be able to ship as many comics as you like to Australia for absolutely nothing seals the deal.

(Funny thing is, it doesn't look like he uses USPS. The label on the package always says that if it's undeliverable, please return it to some place in Belgium!! (shrug) )

I've compared orders several times between Lonestar and MHC.

MHC always comes out cheaper .. using the code word of course.

In the last couple of years, I don't know a week to go past without a code word.

(This scenario falls completely down when talking about high priced, high grade, Gold and Silver Age stuff! :insane:)

I've seen some underpriced stuff at Milehigh. For example, I have seen Deadworld #1 at Milehigh for less than what it has sold on here for. I've personally bought the complete series of FanGraphix for about $1.50 per issue, two of them came still in the cellophane I think they were distributed in (both the Ralph Snart issues) and are in absolute mint condition. The other two (larger issues) are probably VF, but at a buck fifty each I'm not complaining.

I wouldn't go hunting down keys at Milehigh, especially not when keys are plentifully available on eBay. But sometimes eBay doesn't have something and Milehigh does. And often times if it's something obscure the price isn't bad.