• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Issue Resolved

724 posts in this topic

Is it possible that both books were purple labels that had the labels switched with universal labels?

Did you buy them both from the same person? Was the person reputable?

1 was an old label from eBay. The other was from a very reputable Boardie. I don't think there was any foul play

This is why you don't buy books hoping to resub for higher grades.

I understand that the "re-sub game" has its ups and downs, but BOTH books have resto?? Even if it rarely happens, whats the odds of it happening to both books sent in?

Im wondering if they have new graders? Should I trust the new label, or the old label? Maybe the mistake was made today?

Just don't feel confident

Yikes, I wonder what that says about a whole lot of the GA/SA/BA blue labels out there submitted around that same era. The trimming I can understand. I've read on here trimming (micro-trimming?) was something CGC had a really tough time with for a while especially in the early days but even up until a few years ago. The CT, on the other hand, I find to be a bit more upsetting. Were you able to get grader notes? Was the CT obvious or in an area where a resto-detective amateur could spot it?

I've often had this same nightmare scenario in my head about playing the CPR game. My sympathies for your losses.

Were the books pressed?

When you get them back you may be able to better identify exactly what they are seeing now that you know what to look for.

Dumb question time, 'cause that's how I roll.

Does this mean that a book cannot really be guaranteed unrestored?

Unless it is one that has been bought personally off the stands, racks, etc. and kept in your collection?

This is why you don't buy books hoping to resub for higher grades.

I understand that the "re-sub game" has its ups and downs, but BOTH books have resto?? Even if it rarely happens, whats the odds of it happening to both books sent in?

Im wondering if they have new graders? Should I trust the new label, or the old label? Maybe the mistake was made today?

Yes, they have new graders... the old ones keep quitting.

So I would be upset as well but Peter in Portugal also brought up a good point mentioning CGC improved in Restoration detection.

Ultimately I can't blame CGC. In the end they simply caught the mistake. If deliberate negligence could be proven when they were first subbed and came back Blue then you would have an argument. As it is, they goofed up in the first place and the person that got them back as Blue labels got lucky.

It sucks and I feel for you but it is what it is. If you resubbed naked Purple's and they came back as Blue you'd be ecstatic. I'd say the chance of something like this happeneing is >1%, youe were that 1% this time.

On the bright side, from what I understand, you can submit them to PGX and they'll come back unrestored 9's. :shrug:

Were the books pressed?

And dry cleaned?

The reason I ask is two fold.

a) if a book has a trim but the book is very wavy or crooked then the trim can be harder to detect the first time around because the book itself isn't straight. Pressing the book actually can make a trim job easier to detect because everything becomes nice and straight / flat making it easier to spot.

b) heat can sometimes affect material on a book - for instance there is a dab of something on the cover, it looks innocuous and when you heat it and it changes creating what might look like colour touch.

Far fetched but a) has actually happened to me.

So I would be upset as well but Peter in Portugal also brought up a good point mentioning CGC improved in Restoration detection.

Ultimately I can't blame CGC. In the end they simply caught the mistake. If deliberate negligence could be proven when they were first subbed and came back Blue then you would have an argument. As it is, they goofed up in the first place and the person that got them back as Blue labels got lucky.

It sucks and I feel for you but it is what it is. If you resubbed naked Purple's and they came back as Blue you'd be ecstatic. I'd say the chance of something like this happeneing is >1%, youe were that 1% this time.

On the bright side, from what I understand, you can submit them to PGX and they'll come back unrestored 9's. :shrug:

hm

So CGC got better at resto (trimming) detection ... how is that bad ? (shrug)

How would you feel if one of your hi grade books you paid top dollar for turned out to have resto on it??

If it turned out to have resto then it turned out to have resto.I'd take the hit and accept it. Whining over it wouldn't turn the purple back into blue.

People ooh and aah about all the "wins" they see when someone gets an upgrade but I've been saying for years that there are big losses too. You just don't hear about them as often.

It's a gamble every time and nothing is guaranteed.