• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which is the bigger key

21 posts in this topic

Avengers #1 or Brave and the Bold 28.

Both are simply the first team appearances composed of pre-existing heroes. There are more copies of Avengers #1 available right now (likely due to movie success) and the price is inflated somewhat. BB28 is scarcer and likely has more room to grow value wise (especially if a JLA movie ever gets made).

Is this choice simply a Marvel vs DC debate?

Both are simply the first team appearances composed of pre-existing heroes. There are more copies of Avengers #1 available right now (likely due to movie success) and the price is inflated somewhat. BB28 is scarcer and likely has more room to grow value wise (especially if a JLA movie ever gets made).

(thumbs u

:gossip: DC all the way!

(thumbs u

I wish I had them both. Oh Damn I do! lol

:cool:

They are both cool books. (thumbs u

+1 (thumbs u

If it speculation you are going for maybe BB28

A lot more rare and copies are not going to auction every other week.

And if they do a movie hm

That book would rise and if they have the right combination of great -script and perfect casting. :banana:

But all said and done both are great books

I have a Avengers 1 and a JLA 1 but I'd like to pick up a BB28 sometime too

(thumbs u

I wish I had them both. Oh Damn I do! lol

:cool:

+1

Personally BB28 is in my top 5, but both are great books to own and affordable in low grade…. Yeah, you should buy them both!

They are both cool books. (thumbs u

+1 (thumbs u

If it speculation you are going for maybe BB28

A lot more rare and copies are not going to auction every other week.

And if they do a movie hm

That book would rise and if they have the right combination of great -script and perfect casting. :banana:

But all said and done both are great books

I have a Avengers 1 and a JLA 1 but I'd like to pick up a BB28 sometime too

I have a low grade JLA 1 that I would probably sell,but I'm such a hoarder.I probably won't. :pullhair:

B&B 28 is clearly the more important book. However, I have no interest in owning one, and it's not an anti-DC thing, as I find other early SA DC keys pretty cool. I just never cared for the JLA. I don't collect SA Marvel either, but could see myself picking up an Avengers #1 well before a B& B 28.

I love Avengers, it's my favorite title of all time.

However, B& B 28 is a bigger key. I think if it didn't suffer from tryout book syndrome it would be worth a lot more and get a lot more attention. But the fact that there's a JLA #1 out there as well complicates and dilutes things a little. If they had just launched it as its own title, and B&B #28 was actually JLA #1 instead, it would be viewed as a much bigger deal than it is.

Both books are trading at around the same price... It boils down to personal preference. If your taking the future of the movie franchises into consideration the Avengers movie franchise is established and going strong. The three Iron man films have a huge fan base. There are two more Avengers films in the works and a third Captain America and Thor film. There's also an Ant-Man film on the horizon. All of which could create future demand for Avengers #1. The Justice League movie franchise is still a wild card?

I love Avengers, it's my favorite title of all time.

However, B& B 28 is a bigger key. I think if it didn't suffer from tryout book syndrome it would be worth a lot more and get a lot more attention. But the fact that there's a JLA #1 out there as well complicates and dilutes things a little. If they had just launched it as its own title, and B&B #28 was actually JLA #1 instead, it would be viewed as a much bigger deal than it is.

I have 2 copies of Avengers 1 (one of them bought here on these boards). However, BB28 is a much bigger key. And it is scarcer too. And since no movies have been made it has a ton of untapped potential.

Why do people say BB28 is a bigger key? Is it because of the importance of the characters in BB28?

They seem to be comparable books in all respect - i.e., a collection of each publisher's major characters with no first appearances. So I am interested how to some BB28 is "clearly" the bigger key.

Why do people say BB28 is a bigger key? Is it because of the importance of the characters in BB28?

They seem to be comparable books in all respect - i.e., a collection of each publisher's major characters with no first appearances. So I am interested how to some BB28 is "clearly" the bigger key.

Scarcity. Look at the census numbers.

Scarcity does not make a book key. The combination of popularity of the content of a book's cover/story line/artists work/major appearance of a key character or villain makes it "key" or highly sought after. Scarcity just makes books more interesting (and expensive) especially when there is relentless demand.

Avengers 1 is the more popular book and characters of the two right now. Does it make it the bigger key? BB28 was more ground breaking in 1960 as DC was the first to establish any sort of superhero team (yes you could say Challengers in Showcase 6 as a minor one) since All Star 3 or All Winners 19 of the Golgen age. The movie surge has pushed Avengers 1 to greater heights as that book has historically been very affordable until the last few years.

So, historical, you could say BB28 is more key (and the pending JLA movie could make it more popular). Avengers 1 certainly has the more popular characters. Both are great books.

If "bigger key" is simply about value than BB28 (main reason is scarcity). If it means more popular, then I'd go with Avengers 1.

There are a couple of key factors that hurt BB28 in my opinion. One is the lack of the A list characters of Batman and Superman on the cover. And two is most of those characters have been in comics for years before BB28.

Now with Avengers 1 you got a team of heavy hitters who made their first appearances only 1-2 years prior so the book is still important from an individual character perspective. The success of the Marvel Cinematic Universe will keep this issue relevant. I think too many people miss the point that a movie has to successful to have a lasting effect on a book in the longer term (sure in the short term there's going to be lots of speculation, but that will die if a movie flops).

And the x factor for Marvel vs DC is Disney. With their backing you'll see the major characters, including the team brand the Avengers, marketed like never before; and certainly well beyond what Marvel could do on its own.