• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,446 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:
On 7/25/2017 at 8:45 PM, sacentaur said:

(Don't know how many collectors here visit the EC thread, so cross-posting here)

AMGR10.png

AMGR10doublecover.png

My favorite non-Junior Feldstein issue. :x

Great late-1940s atmosphere in this one. I wonder if the singer is meant to be African American? hm

7 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

8 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:
On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 2:54 PM, Sqeggs said:

The art on the covers of this little post-Code series is pretty good, although, as could happen even with the sainted Baker, this couple appears significantly older than the target demo for these books.

2017-07-15-0001_zps2uwwd5uq.jpg

Looks as nice as a BAKER to my unrefined eyes....................

My eyes aren't too refined, either, but I would say this one's a notch below Baker at his best. 

When I was first shown Romantic Hearts V2 #9 many years ago, I had to ask, "Wow, is that by Baker, too?"  (I still don't actually know who did it!) 

RomanticHearts9.jpg

41 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Great late-1940s atmosphere in this one. I wonder if the singer is meant to be African American? hm

I doubt it. What's great (aside from Mr. Albert B. Feldstein's great art) is the coloring. Really sets the mood. I wonder if Marie Severin did the color work or if it was before her tenure at EC.

I guess we have two romance threads going (three if you count the Baker thread).  Thought I would put this one here because, unless I'm missing something, it appears as if there are no graded copies of any of the three issues in this series.  Kind of a weird photo.  Does she have him in a trance? hm

2017-07-31-0001_zpsklawpg8f.jpg

26 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I guess we have two romance threads going (three if you count the Baker thread).  Thought I would put this one here because, unless I'm missing something, it appears as if there are no graded copies of any of the three issues in this series.  Kind of a weird photo.  Does she have him in a trance? hm

I think she used that old shampoo'Gee,Your Hair Smells Terrific'!

PS..I've stack of Romance i'll eventually share,but also have thought where to put them,as some are neither the rarest nor my favourite!

35 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Either that, or her hands in his lap...

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I never realized that there were only 3 issues to this run. Here's # 5. Who has a # 6 to post? :popcorn:

Best Romance 5.jpg

1 minute ago, comicnoir said:
34 minutes ago, Scrooge said:

I never realized that there were only 3 issues to this run. Here's # 5. Who has a # 6 to post? :popcorn:

Best Romance 5.jpg

Let's see... she looks 17, he looks 45. I can dig it.

Same Anne Francis who starred as Honey West?  I remember her as having a mole on her upper lip. hm

but Standard did have a thing or two going for them at the time

like...Alexander the Great

NewRomances10_int_zpswmaocnie.jpg

ThrillingRomances24_int1_zpsaeqybwfp.jpg

ThrillingRomances24_zpsbcerfw2u.jpg       ThrillingRomances_int2_zps5yd2ne11.jpg

NewRomances16_int2_zpsyvfrlmpv.jpg

NewRomances18_zpsdfgtayxp.jpg

1 hour ago, Dr. Love said:

when you find yourself going for Standard non-movie star photocovers, you're in Romance 12 Step Land.  Admit it - you've got a problem. 

The next geeky level of hell?  Looking for "Nancy Wessner" Standards!  Oh my stars and garters!

IntimateLove08_zpsqhek2mcq.jpg

And here I thought you knew you'd reached Romance 12 Step Land when you bought a book titled Famous Stars with a cover photo of NON-Famous Stars 

Famous Stars 6.jpg

5 hours ago, comicnoir said:

Let's see... she looks 17, he looks 45. I can dig it.

The actors were 21 and 37, and the movie "Elopement" is about a young woman that runs off with her college professor.

Edited by rjpb