• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,443 posts in this topic

On 8/3/2019 at 5:02 PM, Dreamtoreal1 said:

sweethearts #25  (Charlton 1954) Only three graded by cgc

IMG_0756.JPG

Some cool covers in that run. Tough to find many of the issues in better than mid-grade. 

CGC can't seem to make up their minds about whether to label Superior books as Canadian editions, which I think they all were, no?

This one has an interesting Kamen cover, although kind of awkwardly composed, imo. 

2020-05-11-0001.jpg

On 3/19/2020 at 9:37 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

This is embarrassing...I didn't realize how much my scanner was off on my book.  I fixed it in photoshop just now after looking at my copy.  This is real...still nice, but not as "bold" as the phony...LOL908381705_JustMarried6.thumb.jpg.ddc7ebc501dc1c7859435e0834298db6.jpg

Don't know if I've ever seen a copy of this one before.

2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

CGC can't seem to make up their minds about whether to label Superior books as Canadian editions, which I think they all were, no?

This one has an interesting Kamen cover, although kind of awkwardly composed, imo. 

2020-05-11-0001.jpg

Nice book there!

I think it's a 'case' of they are strictly Canadian produced books, as opposed to 'Canadian edition' which implies, there are U.S. produced issues. 

8 minutes ago, sagii said:

Nice book there!

I think it's a 'case' of they are strictly Canadian produced books, as opposed to 'Canadian edition' which implies, there are U.S. produced issues. 

Ah, interesting. Weren't there also some issues that were produced in Canada but sold in the U.S.? In think this was all discussed before, but who can remember these things?? Not me, evidently!

2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Ah, interesting. Weren't there also some issues that were produced in Canada but sold in the U.S.? In think this was all discussed before, but who can remember these things?? Not me, evidently!

I believe it was. I think @porcupine48 is a 'Superior Pub' guy. 

He may be able to fill in the blanks

47 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

2020-05-11-0001.jpg

Superiors were published in Toronto, Canada, not far from where I live. The artwork was purchased from Igor shop. There were no U.S. editions. 

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

The escalation in the prices of Cole romance has outstripped my willingness to buy them, but I picked this one up at some point last year. 

2020-05-11-0001.jpg

:golfclap:You are wasting no times kicking butt and taking names! 

At least we know you've still been collecting and submitting books. Great show today (so far) :headbang:

59 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Another Gleason romance series with some great covers. Not sure who the artist was here, but I like this one a lot. Upgraded from a "Nancy collection" copy. 

lov_zpsf1qcltpd.jpg

"Downes"  The same cover artist as Teen-age Romances 26-30.

45 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Always resisted bothering with this one because there are a crazy number of high-grade copies (warehouse find?). But this fell into my lap dirt cheap. In a six-way tie for 13th highest graded. :insane:

2020_05_10_0001(7).jpg

Yes, this was part of a warehouse find in central CA in the early 70s.  There were probably 2,000+ copies of this issue, along with all the other Charlton titles from the same time period.  This is one of the reasons that Thing #16 should be no more than a $20 book...there were 15,000+ copies of that one...lol

Just now, Yorick said:

"Downes"  The same cover artist as Teen-age Romances 26-30.

I like those covers, too. Seem undervalued, maybe because they are non-Bakers.

1 minute ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Yes, this was part of a warehouse find in central CA in the early 70s.  There were probably 2,000+ copies of this issue, along with all the other Charlton titles from the same time period.  This is one of the reasons that Thing #16 should be no more than a $20 book...there were 15,000+ copies of that one...lol

2,000! Holy cow! I know Thing 16 in high grade has always been very common. I wonder if there are still piles of high-grade copies of both issues still sitting somewhere waiting to be slabbed? hm