• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,446 posts in this topic

Thanks guys! Eventually I'll get better scans of each of them, when I get off my arse. :P

I think the 5 is the most common, as it's the 1st issue, but none are that common. I don't recall seeing another #7 or #8 up for grabs except for the ones I bought. I'm lucky, as they are all in really nice shape too!

So, are these books just uncommon or highly sought after, or both? Why are they so hard to find? I don't know anything about them. I really don't need to start a run of another title..I'm just curious... (shrug)

Who you kiddin'? Of course you do! :D

I picked up a nice copy of no. 9 a while back. Only one I've got. Just cool -- and unusual -- covers.

So, are these books just uncommon or highly sought after, or both? Why are they so hard to find? I don't know anything about them. I really don't need to start a run of another title..I'm just curious... (shrug)

Who you kiddin'? Of course you do! :D

I picked up a nice copy of no. 9 a while back. Only one I've got. Just cool -- and unusual -- covers.

+1! It's only a 5 issue run. I think it's not sought after enough. Especially for a romance title, it's very underrated for the covers alone.

Where's Dr. Love? Calling Dr. Love! :)

You can google Beatrice Fairfax. She was the original "Dear Abby" back in the day. A real new thing, and very cool as far as women in journalism. I like how they took her as far as to get her own comic. That's kinda how the letters on the page play to what she was. With some Schomoburg magic of course.

Here's a wiki page about the real BF: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Manning_(writer)

Edited by pmpknface

So, are these books just uncommon or highly sought after, or both? Why are they so hard to find? I don't know anything about them. I really don't need to start a run of another title...I'm just curious... (shrug)

Most of the reknowned artists put some time in, somewhere, for someone, on romance. This title is Schomburg's sole contribution to the genre. So, that. Also, they're Schomie airbrush.

Now Dear Beatrice Fairfax was not Standard's entry into romance - they did that the year before, in 1949. But Standard's romance line, like Fawcett, was purely photo-cover. Except for this title.

I also believe that these simple 5 books are Schomburg's farewell to the comics business.

So, are these books just uncommon or highly sought after, or both? Why are they so hard to find? I don't know anything about them. I really don't need to start a run of another title...I'm just curious... (shrug)

Most of the reknowned artists put some time in, somewhere, for someone, on romance. This title is Schomburg's sole contribution to the genre. So, that. Also, they're Schomie airbrush.

Now Dear Beatrice Fairfax was not Standard's entry into romance - they did that the year before, in 1949. But Standard's romance line, like Fawcett, was purely photo-cover. Except for this title.

I also believe that these simple 5 books are Schomburg's farewell to the comics business.

REALLY!?!?! See, this is why you when you have a question you call your Dr. I don't know if this fact makes them more or less special, I just hope me posting them brings them more to the forefront to collectors' agenda. These are beautiful books. I can see how they don't have the draw that his Startiling or Wonder titles do because of the lack of sci-fi or headlight aspects, but there's no reason that they still shouldn't be adored just as much! ;)

Edited by pmpknface

Ok, you keep thinking about it and I'll get off my keyster and use the scanner.

For the record - I think my fav cover is the #5. The letter background and the color contrast is just too cool. The red and blue pop, but the #5 is just too original to be messed with.