• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,451 posts in this topic

GlamorousRomances61fc_zpsbuofycew.jpg

And possibly Joan Crawford on this one (can you tell i'm a classic film fan? lol ) Dr., these are simply stunning (but MUST go in the Ace thread to at your leisure). Be good to see all the genres from this publisher housed in one place for those lazy Sunday afternoon thread readings. Great stuff too Scrooge :applause::applause:

A recent acquisition showcases one of the limited 'couple covers' in the painted runs. Just found out it is a Crippen copy too Dr. Check from the pic i sent you in HA's archives. Iv'e been mobile lately so have not posted any pics in a while. Be home tonight so i hope to add items to the bucket. Real-Life Secrets is a conundrum: Was there another publication with that title that cause Ace to change it after only one issue? hm

GlamorousRomances49fc_zpspnabkhol.jpg

Rita Hayworth on this one.....

Good call. My first reaction was Jean Harlow but Hayworth makes more sense.

These covers have been favorites of mine for a long time ever since I saw my first issue of Glamorous Romance. These are sooo much inspired not only by romance pulps but also Hollywood magazines covers selling the image, hence the iconic quality . :applause:

GlamorousRomances49fc_zpspnabkhol.jpg

Rita Hayworth on this one.....

Good call. My first reaction was Jean Harlow but Hayworth makes more sense.

These covers have been favorites of mine for a long time ever since I saw my first issue of Glamorous Romance. These are sooo much inspired not only by romance pulps but also Hollywood magazines covers selling the image, hence the iconic quality . :applause:

Agreed. I'm THIS close to completing one of the runs in the Ace painted cover lines, i'm trying to hold out posting 'piece mail' preferring to debut them all at once(but it's so hard not participating in the fun... :ohnoez:lol ) Edited by Sagii

Sagii, you hold out. Really, though, it's good - it'll be sweeter when you do a Big Reveal sometime in the hopefully not too distant future.

Thanks, Boot! Not easy to surprise you.

And, BZ -

I checked the "L" stack and came up with these examples.

I've tried to acquire at lease one or two issues of all the different titles.

lovecomics.jpg

That's just "L"? hm

And that's just the romance part of the "L" stack? :o

The other publisher that had a similar format to Ace was Lev Gleason.

They had great line drawn covers.

Biro. The only two he did for romance.

LoversLane01fc_zpstmw67qhc.jpg

LoversLane02fc_zps7akthete.jpg

Doctor these are beautiful. ( The first one has a father on it I believe, so nice choice for Father's Day). Your collection never ceases to awe.

*** and it shouldn't be long before I post the run( I've only got one issue left to obtain!! :D )

Thank you, Sagii and Jack!

Lev Gleason really concentrated on the painted covers. Original painted covers, which wasn't quite the case for Ace or Avon (they're up next, btw). But is the case for this publisher and Ziff Davis, who had the big name illustrators Saunders and Anderson.

On with the show.