• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,451 posts in this topic

CompleteRomance01fc_zpspnyu9fqk.jpg

While gangster/crime themed covers can be found here and there in pre-code romance, this must be the only romance book with someone being shot on the cover. I couldn't find information in GCD, but was this cover taken from a paperback like so many other painted Avon covers?

While gangster/crime themed covers can be found here and there in pre-code romance, this must be the only romance book with someone being shot on the cover. I couldn't find information in GCD, but was this cover taken from a paperback like so many other painted Avon covers?

Looks like this was the cover of the paperback version of that story, but the comic cover might have been taken from a different paperback.

51dcvsnHNCL_zpsaucxykq0.jpg

It's Avon # 173 - On the Spot -

avon173.jpg

Cool. I had forgotten that the comic cover and story were reprinted by Avon in 1953 as Women to Love.

I looked up harry Sinclair Drago and apparently he was quite prolific and mostly known for both fiction and non-fiction books about the old West.

Re: On the Spot.

Are there any Avon painted covers that were done only for a comic? Seems they were quite budget minded in reusing paperback cover art.

Edited by rjpb

I thought I had posted a complete correspondence list a while back but the search function is failing me on that. I'll have to check if I don't have a spreadsheet somewhere.

It did lead me to this Group Shot in which my Avon Romance books are included -

47357-AvonGroupShot1.jpg

47358-AvonGroupShot2.jpg

47359-AvonGroupShot3.jpg

I thought I had posted a complete correspondence list a while back but the search function is failing me on that. I'll have to check if I don't have a spreadsheet somewhere.

It did lead me to this Group Shot in which my Avon Romance books are included -

47357-AvonGroupShot1.jpg

47358-AvonGroupShot2.jpg

47359-AvonGroupShot3.jpg

? ? :applause::applause:

Fantastic group shot, Scrooge! :applause:

Are there any Avon painted covers that were done only for a comic? Seems they were quite budget minded in reusing paperback cover art.

Avon's 1954 Realistic Romances 15-17 and Romantic Love 20-23 had original covers, Kinstler for all but two. But that's easy to see.

Here's the one mystery. It's the book I started off with, the Sparkling Love 1. I went through all of Avon's paperbacks (thanks Scrooge!) and couldn't spot it. But for sure it wasn't original either; it looks like a painted photo cover. From where, though? hm

SparklingLove01fc_zps2eapebwx.jpg

Avon's 1954 Realistic Romances 15-17 and Romantic Love 20-23 had original covers, Kinstler for all but two. But that's easy to see.

Here's the one mystery. It's the book I started off with, the Sparkling Love 1. I went through all of Avon's paperbacks (thanks Scrooge!) and couldn't spot it. But for sure it wasn't original either; it looks like a painted photo cover. From where, though? hm

SparklingLove01fc_zps2eapebwx.jpg

They had photo services that would provide stock photos for a client. Maybe this was bought from a stock photo provider and never appeared elsewhere.

Seems reasonable. (thumbs u

The last two painted cover publishers are St. John and Ziff Davis.

St. John had a total of 13 issues that had painted covers. All are interesting, the artists are not attributed, and are harder to find in grade than one might think. Some issues, much harder than others. The most collectible would be the two Adventures issues, signed covers by Warren King.

- Cinderella Love 12-14

- Romantic Marriage 18,19,22

- Teen-Age Romances 26-30, consecutive issues in the middle of the run. 28-30 also don't contain any Baker. Wait what? No Baker cover, no Baker art. Some Estrada. But I LOVE the cover to #30, one of my all time favorite painteds. This issue also has the distinction of being completely drawn by one of the few women GA artists, Nina Albright (Senorita Rio and others).

PerfectLove09fc_zps9xqbvu66.jpg

It's a Man's Man's World - RIP Soul Brother #1, James Brown

This is a man's, a man's, a man's world

But it wouldn't be nothing, nothing without a woman or a girl

Man thinks about a little baby girls and a baby boys

Man makes then happy 'cause man makes them toys

And after man has made everything, everything he can

You know that man makes money to buy from other man

This is a man's world

But it wouldn't be nothing, nothing without a woman or a girl

A man needs a woman

I sympathize with a man that don't have a woman