• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage May 2014

482 posts in this topic

But... since the comparable pages in issue 181 don't exist, nor does that splash, because they were burned up in the fire, then it's really a moot point, isn't it?

Or is it...

Mr. Burkey posted this on Comicart-L:

I don't believe this story below is correct....i'm pretty sure hulk 181 pages will surface in the future. :whatthe:

I actually heard some rumors to this effect (that the pages weren't destroyed in the fire after all) a while back...is there any validity to them? hm

I hadn't heard this rumor, but perhaps it's true - I'd sure trust Mike's intel.

Has anyone actually asked Len if he can confirm whether the Hulk 181 art got burned up or not?

Ok, so it's time to put the rumor to rest. I reached out to Len. He said that the 181 pages were damaged in the fire but not destroyed, and that he recently had one of the pages restored as a test and believes that they are repairable.

He didn't say how bad or how extensive though, and he also didn't say he was selling them. But at least we know they exist and can be restored.

-Steve

Great detective work Steve (thumbs u

This 180 page just went down 50-100k :insane:

I do wonder though exactly what the 181 pages look like . When I hear 'fire' and 'perhaps repairable' I tend to think the damage was quite extensive

Yeah, 'believes they are repairable' is a little frightening. Hopefully there are before/after resto photos so potential buyers can see exactly what was done. Maybe if the before pics are particularly brutal, I'll be able to afford one! Or not.

We'll never know for sure, but I would argue that the first appearance is the first appearance, and I don't think the existence of the 181 page make any difference at all to the potential bidders.

Ron

I do wonder though exactly what the 181 pages look like . When I hear 'fire' and 'perhaps repairable' I tend to think the damage was quite extensive

The question is whether there was smoke/fire and/or water damage. I suspect the latter would be easier and less invasive to repair than the former.

Anyway, glad that we now know the pages are still out there.

Have to disagree here. For the top 2-3 people vying for this page I'd wager the existence of these other pages means diddly. Like Ron says, the first appearance is the first appearance.

Now if the 181 cover came to market at the same time as this first appearance page then we'd see some effect.

Have to disagree here. For the top 2-3 people vying for this page I'd wager the existence of these other pages means diddly. Like Ron says, the first appearance is the first appearance.

Now if the 181 cover came to market at the same time as this first appearance page then we'd see some effect.

I'm not so sure. I think the existence of the #181 pages might at least take some of the more far-fetched scenarios for the #180 page off the table. And, if it doesn't, I think the #180 page will do well largely because of its content (a big splash-y panel of Wolverine) and not just because it's the true first appearance. I mean, what if the last page of #180 had featured a very small, ugly drawing of Wolverine while #181 was all big, splash-y, spectacular fight pages? Does anyone think that the "1st appearance" would trump all in that scenario? (shrug)

I agree with Hari - if the FF #48-50 art came to market, I think people would judge the pages largely by content instead of the #48 pages grabbing a premium over the #49 and #50 pages. If the #180 page does crazy numbers, I think it will owe as much to the fact that it's a better page than most (some would say all) of the #181 interiors as much as it's the 1st appearance. 2c

Same page in 181 versus this page in 180? It's not close. The page in 180 is a great first appearance page. It's not his hand, or the character in shadow; it's everything you'd want in a first appearance.

Ron

Vegas bookmakers just moved the line on you ending up with the page from 150-1 to 30-1. I might have to thrown down a fiver. :baiting:

Ron does sound interested doesn't he ? hm if so I hope you win it Ron.

Gene, I agree with your thought on the impact of the 181 pages being extant. I don't think it really changes the bottom end of the estimate much but I do think it affects the top end 2c

Same page in 181 versus this page in 180? It's not close. The page in 180 is a great first appearance page. It's not his hand, or the character in shadow; it's everything you'd want in a first appearance.

Ron

I'd agree with that. It's a spectacular page and image. (thumbs u

The question is whether there was smoke/fire and/or water damage. I suspect the latter would be easier and less invasive to repair than the former.

Anyway, glad that we now know the pages are still out there.

Most possessions that survive a structure fire have water and smoke damage. Those two effects are hard to avoid even if the object didn't get burned.

I'm not so sure. I think the existence of the #181 pages might at least take some of the more far-fetched scenarios for the #180 page off the table. And, if it doesn't, I think the #180 page will do well largely because of its content (a big splash-y panel of Wolverine) and not just because it's the true first appearance. I mean, what if the last page of #180 had featured a very small, ugly drawing of Wolverine while #181 was all big, splash-y, spectacular fight pages? Does anyone think that the "1st appearance" would trump all in that scenario? (shrug)

I agree with Hari - if the FF #48-50 art came to market, I think people would judge the pages largely by content instead of the #48 pages grabbing a premium over the #49 and #50 pages. If the #180 page does crazy numbers, I think it will owe as much to the fact that it's a better page than most (some would say all) of the #181 interiors as much as it's the 1st appearance. 2c

As much as the comics market dictates Hulk 181 as the "first" appearance of Wolverine, this page from Hulk 180 is the first published piece of artwork containing the character Wolverine. No matter what or who determines that 181 is the first appearance of Wolverine for whatever reason, they cannot deny that this page contains the first published image in continuity of the character.

Therefore I believe that this is the page to get. I have no pony in this race. I will not even be bidding on it. I may throw in a bid just to say I did... and that is it. For some reason I had no problem spending five figures on a comic book but cannot bring myself to drop even four figures on a piece of artwork. This piece though? This is a no brainer. On a scale of 1-10 I would rate this a ten and if someone disagrees, I would rate it pretty damn near the top.

Ron

I agree with this, it is a great intro page, I mean there have been some memorable 1st app. that were less than memorable, Darkseid anyone?

Ron

I agree with this, it is a great intro page, I mean there have been some memorable 1st app. that were less than memorable, Darkseid anyone?

lol

Yeah, that small headshot on a TV takes the prize.

Any predictions on the Don Rosa duck story?

A 28-page story sold for $22,700 back in 2011. The story up for auction this time is only 12 pages, however.

I thought I read somewhere that there's not alot of Don Rosa material out there. Does anyone know for sure?

I was also wondering if more collectors are interested now that Mr. Rosa is sadly unable to draw anymore.

I made a post in CG last week.

Umm... Hate to burst everyone's bubble, but the OA to Hulk #180 is not the actual 1st appearance of Wolverine.

WOLVERINE DRAWINGS BY JOHN ROMITA, 1974. BLUE PENCIL ON THIN VELUM. SIGNED AND NOTED BY ROMITA. Yes, this is the FIRST drawing(s) ever of Wolverine (Also see the accompanied drawing). As Art Director for Marvel Comics, it was Romita's assignment to create the visual appearance of the new character (villain) that was written into the --script to battle the Hulk in issue #180 - 181. Called the "Wolverine", Romita envisioned him as small in stature, but ferocious by nature. The pair of velum sheets depict 2 head shots (front and side view), and two full figure shots (action and standing poses). I bought these directly from Romita many years ago. He told me that the head shots were the first drawings, followed by the full figure drawings. He made the notation on the head shots as he signed both sheets. I remember hesitating on making the purchase, as the drawings were no where near the quality of the Spider-Man pages that I was buying from him at the time. Of course, I'm glad that I did decide to buy them.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=253574

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=253576