• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage May 2014

482 posts in this topic

You should INQUIRE with the Donnellys. They have/had the very first page to feature Wolverine from GSXM 1.

Yeah, they traded it away in one of the more bizarre deals I've personally been witness to.

Yes it was one of the few times in life where I witnessed alchemy in person.

Details please

You should INQUIRE with the Donnellys. They have/had the very first page to feature Wolverine from GSXM 1.

Yeah, they traded it away in one of the more bizarre deals I've personally been witness to.

This made me lol

I don't know that I have ever been more curious. If someone could PM the details, I would love to hear about it.

I'll let Gene have the honors if he wants to provide details as it was a private deal that we happened to be witness to.

As Felix mentioned, this is a public forum and these kinds of details are better suited to comic art gatherings and private emails and conversations.

There are so many great stories in this niche hobby that the stories make the hobby as interesting as the collecting. But you'll never get 10% of the stories on this forum. You really have to go to the cons and the dinners and talk to people.

I'll let Gene have the honors if he wants to provide details as it was a private deal that we happened to be witness to.

As Felix mentioned, this is a public forum and these kinds of details are better suited to comic art gatherings and private emails and conversations.

There are so many great stories in this niche hobby that the stories make the hobby as interesting as the collecting. But you'll never get 10% of the stories on this forum. You really have to go to the cons and the dinners and talk to people.

I was there too. It's a boardie who did the deal. More power to him! If he wants to speak up, that's cool. Otherwise I agree these stories are better in person :)

This being said, it does show you that these early or first appearance pages have been coveted but attainable. Most people were not interested, preferring to go for covers and the like.

I was there too. It's a boardie who did the deal. More power to him! If he wants to speak up, that's cool. Otherwise I agree these stories are better in person :)

This being said, it does show you that these early or first appearance pages have been coveted but attainable. Most people were not interested, preferring to go for covers and the like.

. I'm sure I've heard this story, but can't for the life of me remember any details! It's like an itch in my brain and I can't scratch it!

Scott

I can see why someone would go overboard on the page. I thought it was great. If you are huge on Wolverine it's a very cool panel page and probably the one from the book I would want most. Again I can see other collectors being drawn to other pages from the book that have more the characters together or maybe prefer someone else's stand alone pages if they say perhaps love Nightcrawler. I just find it a great piece as it's his very first in story X-Men page and it basically set the tone of Wolverine's " you, I do what I want" attitude that would help make him a comic icon in the next 7 years to follow. That attitude helps rank him among the pantheon of HUGE comic book heroes to come out in the past 75 years.

Yeah, I don't want to speak out of turn, as I don't think the new owner has ever spoken up about owning these pages. Suffice to say, I think just about everyone here would have found the deal to be very one-sided. I was praying that the proposed deal would fall apart (I'm friendly with both parties and felt obligated not to try and break it up) and was standing at the ready with a strong offer for two of the pages that Rich was giving up, including the GSXM 1. Alas, the deal went through!

Totally agree. This may go anywhere. Not trying to downplay it, just contributing to the discussion. I do think that if this goes up into the stratosphere that all major first appearance pages will be over 100K. X-Men 1 pages, etc. etc. Right now they've sat at the 50-60K range.

I don't think that a big price on the #180 page is going to suddenly cause X-Men #1 pages, etc. to suddenly double in price, just as some of the other outlier sales we've seen haven't led to a sudden revaluation of all similar work. I think the market for those pages is pretty well established now, while the #180 page is really a one-of-a-kind trophy (at least until the #181 cover and/or pages, if they exist, turn up). Whether it sells for $150K or $350K, I don't think it's going to have a big knock-on effect, as people will see it as a pretty unique piece.

Not to mention, with Bronze/Copper being in the nostalgia crosshairs nowadays, I think it's normal for prices to be inflated relative to Silver Age, at least for a while. I agree with you that this should normalize over time, but that may take a while (better sell your Miracleman art while it's still hot! :baiting: ) It will be really interesting to see where we are in 20-30 years, when the Silver, Bronze and Copper Ages are all out of the nostalgia zone and pieces are judged more on their lasting historical and artistic merits. Or, maybe nostalgia will still rule, because the only people still collecting OA will be aging Gen Xers. lol:eek:

I don't think the pages are as important as the fact that these guys think Los Bros got taken a bit. That is the part that would be confidential I would think. Which pages are involved is immaterial IMO. But the fact that people are publicly saying this will have more impact than knowing what pages were involved.

I don't think the pages are as important as the fact that these guys think Los Bros got taken a bit. That is the part that would be confidential I would think. Which pages are involved is immaterial IMO. But the fact that people are publicly saying this will have more impact than knowing what pages were involved.

I'd rather know what pages were being traded rather than the prices or who was involved

Don't know if this was mentioned but the page was at the Carbo show this weekend where a photographer took a pick of Trimpe holding it up. I took a pic of it laying on the table after Trimpe took the picture. I thought it was pretty cool that it was there to look over in person.

8B4DB93E-0E2B-4CF9-995E-F67E53BD8762.jpg

C0086FEC-422A-439B-995C-235468343768.jpg

Don't know if this was mentioned but the page was at the Carbo show this weekend where a photographer took a pick of Trimpe holding it up. I took a pic of it laying on the table after Trimpe took the picture. I thought it was pretty cool that it was there to look over in person.

8B4DB93E-0E2B-4CF9-995E-F67E53BD8762.jpg

C0086FEC-422A-439B-995C-235468343768.jpg

In all honesty how close were you to grabbing it, and bolting out the doors?