• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage May 2014

482 posts in this topic

Guys who bought cheap in the 70s and 80s (could be any era of art) and have been sitting on those pages for the past 30+ years, would seem to either be true collectors who enjoy what they have or are in it for the long-term investment or most likely both. Not sure why'd they'd liquidate a bunch of pages that will never depreciate from what they paid and are likely to increase in value (picking up a tax bill in the process) just to flip the money into a piece that may end up being overpriced due to the bidding war, especially if they are going to sell it again in a few years (picking up another tax bill) to fund their retirement.

I'm only implying I would. i would only do that because I find very few pages which would mean more to me than wolvies first appearance. Unfortunately I'm not sitting on 400k in pages I paid 5k for so for me its a moot point.

I wouldn't do it for investment reasons for exactly the reasons you lay out.

So, you can understand why I speculated here why you might have posed what I thought was a perfectly legit question. It wasn't exactly clear why you asked.

I don't really understand it, but it's cool. Carry on...

We're throwing around some big number estimates on this piece. Not sure that people are willing to pay Hulk 181 cover prices on this panel page just because the rest doesn't exist (or hasn't surfaced). I guess we shall see.

Nah, the Hulk #181 cover would sell in a whole other part of the stratosphere than the numbers we're talking about for this page.

What's the highest price so far for an interior first appearance page?

Has the FF 48 Kirby page with 1st Silver Surfer page ever sold?

OK I'm sorry if I had a tone, honestly. I guess with each response I'm less clear on what you are saying though. I thought we were talking about the 180 page, and you seem to be speaking in past tense with the "they chose not to" meaning maybe you are talking about the action 15?

Whatever the case, and apologizing for my tone, I still stand by that comment. The top is always thin. It has to be, because since only a few pieces are the top, the prices have to be at a level that only a few people are not just able, but willing to compete.

Frankly, I am interested in the Wolverine page. And I really don't think it should go for more than your Action 15 page (which I think was a very good price). So I'm fishing for information, and I really don't see how anything I posted should offend anyone.

It's funny, because given the candidates you've named for both the ACTION #15 cover and the HULK #180 page, it's clear you don't know who all the real players are and have a limited view of the landscape. So even if someone were to say, what good would it do you?

Tell you what, here are the primary suspects:

1. Fred the Elephant Boy

2. High-Pitch Eric

3. Crackhead Bob

You're welcome.

Frankly, I am interested in the Wolverine page. And I really don't think it should go for more than your Action 15 page (which I think was a very good price). So I'm fishing for information, and I really don't see how anything I posted should offend anyone.

It's funny, because given the candidates you've named for both the ACTION #15 cover and the HULK #180 page, it's clear you don't know who all the real players are and have a limited view of the landscape. So even if someone were to say, what good would it do you?

Tell you what, here are the primary suspects:

1. Fred the Elephant Boy

2. High-Pitch Eric

3. Crackhead Bob

You're welcome.

I haven't inhaled helium in YEARS...thank you very much! :taptaptap:

Has the FF 48 Kirby page with 1st Silver Surfer page ever sold?

I do not believe the art to that issue has ever been seen in the open market. Many collectors don't think it exists.

That would be sad :cry:

I've been thinking that the X-Men #1 p1 splash-- featuring the first appearance of Professor X (who did not appear on the cover)-- might actually be the highest selling interior first appearance (shrug)

this Hulk #180 first appearance panel should be more coveted than a comparable panel page in #181.

I agree in that it's the 1st appearance. Not only a page from the 1st issue, but the actual 1st depiction. I'd even challenge to say this piece is more important historically (not talking value) than the cover for Hulk #181 for that reason.

I wonder whomever is buying this if it's a collector who has deep pockets or an investor looking it it purely as something that is of value. I'd say no matter what as I've said before, anytime you're spending hundreds (and in this case anticipated to be hundreds of thousands, or a decent house in middle America) for a 2oz piece of paper with a drawing on it, it's not 'cuz you like or love it, it's an investment.

The character is so popular, but even with that, to discuss it selling for $250k+ yet pages from X-Men #1 by Kirby with the team's 1st appearance selling for under $100k, most under $25k within the past decade is pretty astonishing for this, which begs the question, are the projections on this overvalued or is the art for X-Men #1 undervalued? I've not seen the pages re-emerge into the marketplace since the book was broken up and sold via Heritage years ago 'tho.

this Hulk #180 first appearance panel should be more coveted than a comparable panel page in #181.

I agree in that it's the 1st appearance. Not only a page from the 1st issue, but the actual 1st depiction. I'd even challenge to say this piece is more important historically (not talking value) than the cover for Hulk #181 for that reason.

I wonder whomever is buying this if it's a collector who has deep pockets or an investor looking it it purely as something that is of value. I'd say no matter what as I've said before, anytime you're spending hundreds (and in this case anticipated to be hundreds of thousands, or a decent house in middle America) for a 2oz piece of paper with a drawing on it, it's not 'cuz you like or love it, it's an investment.

The character is so popular, but even with that, to discuss it selling for $250k+ yet pages from X-Men #1 by Kirby with the team's 1st appearance selling for under $100k, most under $25k within the past decade is pretty astonishing for this, which begs the question, are the projections on this overvalued or is the art for X-Men #1 undervalued? I've not seen the pages re-emerge into the marketplace since the book was broken up and sold via Heritage years ago 'tho.

But A LOT has changed in market in the last decade. I would assume pages from x-men 1 would sell for a fair amount more than 25K in today's market :shrug:

If I knew who all the real players were, I wouldn't need to ask, would I? Information has value, even if you don't understand that. I've never regretted surveying the playing field.

Halperin and Fishler (and Vincent) have shown no hesitancy to buy good GA art, and connected GA collectors were speculating that both would be in the hunt. Mehdy has some amazing pulp paintings, used to own the OA for Master Race amongst other items, and was expressing interest in the art. Hence my mention of them. Not a clueless comment at all.

The owner of the GS X-Men 1 cover has an amazing collection and 180 would fit right in, so I'm not sure why you think he's a ridiculous choice. The bros others mentioned own the 182 page they say, so they'd seem a not unreasonable player either.

So, in the end, I'm left with this impression: When, instead of ignoring my posts or posting something helpful, you instead choose to attempt to belittle me, you don't come across as a BSD, just a bit of a D with BS. My guess is you are not a dealer, because you sure lack the right attitude.

Discussion aside, respectfully, you would probably get further by asking these kinds of questions in pm's. People aren't going to want to publicly post certain things 2c They may not want to say certain things in pm's either lol but you have a better shot would be my guess :)

If I knew who all the real players were, I wouldn't need to ask, would I? Information has value, even if you don't understand that. I've never regretted surveying the playing field.

Halperin and Fishler (and Vincent) have shown no hesitancy to buy good GA art, and connected GA collectors were speculating that both would be in the hunt. Mehdy has some amazing pulp paintings, used to own the OA for Master Race amongst other items, and was expressing interest in the art. Hence my mention of them. Not a clueless comment at all.

The owner of the GS X-Men 1 cover has an amazing collection and 180 would fit right in, so I'm not sure why you think he's a ridiculous choice. The bros others mentioned own the 182 page they say, so they'd seem a not unreasonable player either.

So, in the end, I'm left with this impression: When, instead of ignoring my posts or posting something helpful, you instead choose to attempt to belittle me, you don't come across as a BSD, just a bit of a D with BS. My guess is you are not a dealer, because you sure lack the right attitude.

Yes, information has value. So again: Who are you and what do you buy? Oh, that's right, that's not for pubic consumption. To paraphrase that great academic administrator, Dean Wormer, "Hypocritical, disingenuous, and clueless is no way to go through life, son."

I'm definitely not a BSD. I'm OK with everything else, though.

Discussion aside, respectfully, you would probably get further by asking these kinds of questions in pm's. People aren't going to want to publicly post certain things 2c They may not want to say certain things in pm's either lol but you have a better shot would be my guess :)

Good point. Thanks.

Good point. Thanks.

Bronty is correct. Setting aside the obvious hypocrisy for a moment...my point was, if you don't already know who the players are, then any names someone throws out will be meaningless to you...it will just be a list of random names as far as you're concerned. That won't be useful information at all, if you're attempting to measure up the competition.

As has been mentioned time and time again here in this forum, if you want to learn, you have to do your homework. No one's going to volunteer anything substantial, publicly. Network, network, network. That generally requires a bit of give-and-take, so remaining anonymous may be a challenge, but that's your cross to bear. It appears your working knowledge has all been gleaned from posts on the boards. Buddy, you ain't even scratched the surface.

For now, all you need to know about what it will take to win this page (and really, this is all anyone needs to know), you can get from the "Biggest OA Prices" thread. This piece, especially, WILL sell somewhere along that spectrum of values. It may not set a record, but it *might*...so be prepared to go that far if you truly have the desire and the means. If you want to win, you have to bid more than the other guy, and there's way to know for sure what that other guy will bid ahead of an auction of this magnitude, even if you know his name. In all sincerity, I wish you luck.

Bronty is correct. Setting aside the obvious hypocrisy for a moment...my point was, if you don't already know who the players are, then any names someone throws out will be meaningless to you...it will just be a list of random names as far as you're concerned. That won't be useful information at all, if you're attempting to measure up the competition.

Don't be a doofus. There is no hypocrisy in respecting the anonymity of those who want anonymity and mentioning the names of those who obviously don't mind.

And there's no harm in asking for info. Sometimes, you get some. And research is easy. As I said, I've never regretted surveying the playing field.