• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage May 2014

482 posts in this topic

Full disclosure, I was going to make a strong run (at least I THOUGHT a strong run) on the Avengers splash, but I'm out. I need to find a new hobby.

I used to say this half-jokingly as well, but, now, I say it more like 20% jokingly. :(

Does one "pick" a hobby? :juggle: That implies some form of rational process hm

The price on the Avengers 81 splash seems a little odd to me.

This piece was briefly shopped around before the auction, with an asking price of 35k. Now it's at 34k; just one bid shy of the owner's original asking price. Hmm...

Probably a coincidence, right?

I think there are two items on the list I chose to watch for this auction that I could actually afford without worrying about it.

Yeah, collecting stuff from my youth is beyond my willing ability. :(

On the other hand, there are a lot of good artists out there doing terrific work - maybe not as much not on the mainstream DC/Marvel titles, but the "smaller" books are full of terrific stuff.

This piece was briefly shopped around before the auction, with an asking price of 35k. Now it's at 34k; just one bid shy of the owner's original asking price. Hmm...

Can you confirm that asking price? I had heard through multiple sources that the asking price was 30k (I was never asked unfortunately). The irony is that if I had been approached with a 30k price, I probably would have turned it down, but I was prepared to bid more than that in this auction. Auctions do strange things to peoples minds... :insane:

Scott

Full disclosure, I was going to make a strong run (at least I THOUGHT a strong run) on the Avengers splash, but I'm out. I need to find a new hobby.

Scott

You have enough amazing Buscema Avengers splashes, Scott.

No such thing as enough my friend.

Scott

Can you confirm that asking price? I had heard through multiple sources that the asking price was 30k (I was never asked unfortunately). The irony is that if I had been approached with a 30k price, I probably would have turned it down, but I was prepared to bid more than that in this auction. Auctions do strange things to peoples minds... :insane:

Scott

And the big winner in that scenario.............Heritage Auctions

Man, I can't believe someone outbid me on that "Love 1971" cover. I really need to find a new hobby if I can't even win a DC romance cover in this market. :facepalm:

Made me laugh, Gene.

You know, you may have reached saturation on art; rather than on price. That is, you have enough great stuff that the marginal value of another piece just isn't there for you.

Man, I can't believe someone outbid me on that "Love 1971" cover. I really need to find a new hobby if I can't even win a DC romance cover in this market. :facepalm:

I dunno, that's a classic cover. It looks fabulous in print. I might have had some reservation that it was in markers and such if I recall, but its a key romance book. A romance book yes, but as far as 70s DC romance, its top tier

wow, that's nuts lol

I don't follow the Boring market, but isn't 8k for a panel boring supes seem high ?

Agreed, but I thought it was one of the best supes panels from boring offered publicly in a long time. BTW, I wasn't the buyer.

Made me laugh, Gene.

You know, you may have reached saturation on art; rather than on price. That is, you have enough great stuff that the marginal value of another piece just isn't there for you.

I think it's definitely a bit of both. No question, though, given current price levels and how much art I already have, the marginal utility I get from buying more art is far less than it used to be.

I dunno, that's a classic cover. It looks fabulous in print. I might have had some reservation that it was in markers and such if I recall, but its a key romance book. A romance book yes, but as far as 70s DC romance, its top tier

Hmm, didn't know that - I just liked it a lot, especially with the grand prix theme. But, I would have wanted to frame and display it, and the markers would have been a concern, so I'll just tell myself that losing out on it was for the best. :whee:

Hmm, didn't know that - I just liked it a lot, especially with the grand prix theme. But, I would have wanted to frame and display it, and the markers would have been a concern, so I'll just tell myself that losing out on it was for the best. :whee:

I think that's a good way to look at it (thumbs u I thought about bidding on it too as I love the cover in print but I wasn't getting a good feeling about the way the original would look in person.