• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clink!

113 posts in this topic

Wow. If the auction description had mentioned that, I wonder if the bidding would have went even higher. hm

At the time I thought 5k was fair... But now that youve pointed out that it was mislabelled (which heritage does way too much), and with this clink result, I do wonder...

I assume you sold it ? I thought it replaced hands a couple of times already.

If you made this profit - good for you !

Nah wasnt me. I just like the precedent it sets for the value of DoS artwork. :)

That's the question - did it set a precedent ? The WIZARD cover from a few months back was DOS too.

It also makes me wonder about how hight the Jurgens JLA poster art

(May auction) will end up at.

The poster fits my collection like a glove,

but it's my least favorite image of the JLA month, so I'd probably won't bid.

While I wouldnt go so far as to say it set an 8k precedent. This was a bit of an anomaly...It does show that the DoS is now in that area where well start seeing accelerated growth. Nostalgia has finally caught up to it. (10 years ago, you practically had to give the stuff away!)

That Doomsday cover went for 30K last year, did it not?

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7063&lotNo=92071

Yes, the DOS and FFAF art is now 20 years old. History dictates that nostalgia (and thus prices) peaks around 30 years. The next 10 years should see dramatic growth.

By the way, I finally had some time to take a look at the closing results and perhaps engage some of you to provide your opinions on pricing:

-Art Adams Marvel Feature 11 cover recreation (Hulk v Thing) = $4.2K

-Andru Spidey Twinkies advert = $3K

-Bagley Cloak & Dagger 19 cover = $2.8K

-Bagley Ultimate Spiderman 100 cover = $3.9K (most paid for a USM cover?)

-Bolland Batman 447 cover prelim = $2.65K

-Buscema Avenger 267 cover = $8.1K :o

-Cockrum Xmen 98p14 (Storm v Sentinnel) = $6.8K I thought this had a lot going for it and should have cracked $10K. Did I misread the desire for 1st run Cockrum, Storm's popularity and the theme to the upcoming X-men movie?

-Colan DD 63p14 = $1.8K. A strong price for a DD page inked by Shores

-Ditko ASM 13p9 = $31K. Soooo, no Spidey & no Peter. Just Mysterio and JJJ for $31K. Yowza!

-Sparling Unexpected 133 cover = $3.2K

I usually like to do a little arm chair QB analysis but am recovering from ankle surgery and was pretty out f it during the clink auction.

The Andru Spidey Avert ... nothing would have surprised me, that add was in hundreds of comic books and remembered well. Anywhere between 1K and 5K seemed a possibility

The Buscema Avengers Kang Cover. I'm a huge JB fan but that thing was so ugly as to defy description, its around 1986 and with ever bit of respect I have for him JB mailed that one in. So yes 8K seems like A LOT of $$$.

By the way, I finally had some time to take a look at the closing results and perhaps engage some of you to provide your opinions on pricing:

-Cockrum Xmen 98p14 (Storm v Sentinnel) = $6.8K I thought this had a lot going for it and should have cracked $10K. Did I misread the desire for 1st run Cockrum, Storm's popularity and the theme to the upcoming X-men movie?

-Ditko ASM 13p9 = $31K. Soooo, no Spidey & no Peter. Just Mysterio and JJJ for $31K. Yowza!

Not much to go on with this cover if you ask me, but this similar cover sold on HA.com back in Nov 2011 could be somewhat of a guide. http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7039&lotNo=92344

Posted my comments below yours.

Completely shocked, still can't believe it :o

Nice piece, but I always thought these ad artworks were a little less desirable

WOW :o

SUPER SHOCKED, Anyone want to buy one of my nice splashes for $5k each? I was thinking in the $2.5k range. It definitely wasn't one of the better of more memorable covers.

Really high in my opinion

It seems like Ditko Spider man pages are now in the $25k to $50k range regardless of whose on the the page

SUPER SHOCKED, Anyone want to buy one of my nice splashes for $5k each? I was thinking in the $2.5k range. It definitely wasn't one of the better of more memorable covers.

Yes Greg!

I would like to buy your Avengers Buscema splashes...maybe not for 5k but we could talk! hm

Jay

Yes Greg!

I would like to buy your Avengers Buscema splashes...maybe not for 5k but we could talk! hm

Jay

well, sure I would be willing to take $6k hmlol

Sadly, they are so locked away ...

Not much to go on with this cover if you ask me, but this similar cover sold on HA.com back in Nov 2011 could be somewhat of a guide. http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7039&lotNo=92344

I've been wondering what happened to that piece. Its honestly one of my favorite covers, if not my favorite of the run.

The Andru Spidey Avert ... nothing would have surprised me, that add was in hundreds of comic books and remembered well. Anywhere between 1K and 5K seemed a possibility

Was in so many and very well remembered. I think those ads are a huge part of those comics, look at what you get these days in a comic - an ad for CGC and pages about other comics they sell. Nothing of interest.

That's why THIS will always be amazing to me since it was on most comics I purchased.

If I had a great Hostess Cupcakes to go with my new Twinkie page :whistle:

I would be very happy! :acclaim:

I've been wondering what happened to that piece. Its honestly one of my favorite covers, if not my favorite of the run.
It is a killer cover and yeah, like where is it? I'd like to have a go at it. It'd be a nice pair :cloud9:

It is a killer cover and yeah, like where is it? I'd like to have a go at it. It'd be a nice pair :cloud9:

Congrats on the Sparling cover! That one really grabbed my eye in the CLink previews - it was so nice that I considered going after it even though it's not really in my collecting wheelhouse (but I ultimately decided to stick to my knitting). Really gorgeous example!

The Buscema Avengers Kang Cover. I'm a huge JB fan but that thing was so ugly as to defy description, its around 1986 and with every bit of respect I have for him JB mailed that one in. So yes 8K seems like A LOT of $$$.

I thought it wasn't far off from other JB work around that time. (shrug) And, I liked the fact that it had a lot of the key classic Avengers (plus some X-Men), unlike a lot of the Avengers covers from that era. Most importantly, though, this one was right in my nostalgic wheelhouse (junior high/high school years).

I actually had a go at this one and didn't miss out on it by much!

Congrats on the Sparling cover! That one really grabbed my eye in the CLink previews - it was so nice that I considered going after it even though it's not really in my collecting wheelhouse (but I ultimately decided to stick to my knitting). Really gorgeous example!

Thanks. Ive got no wheelhouse so it fits in my world easy enough. :D

The Buscema Avengers Kang Cover. I'm a huge JB fan but that thing was so ugly as to defy description, its around 1986 and with every bit of respect I have for him JB mailed that one in. So yes 8K seems like A LOT of $$$.

I thought it wasn't far off from other JB work around that time. (shrug) And, I liked the fact that it had a lot of the key classic Avengers (plus some X-Men), unlike a lot of the Avengers covers from that era. Most importantly, though, this one was right in my nostalgic wheelhouse (junior high/high school years).

I'm not saying the cover is ugly, but I thought it was a pretty strong price for what amounted to a large pinup of Kang with gnat-sized Avengers pestoring him, and a few X-men and Hulk thrown into the mix.

Some other JB Avengers covers for sale in 2010 or more recently include:

Avengers Annual 23 = 2K

Avengers 294 = 2.6K

Avengers 297 = 2K

Agreed, the Sparlings are really sweet!

I'm not saying the cover is ugly, but I thought it was a pretty strong price for what amounted to a large pinup of Kang with gnat-sized Avengers pestoring him, and a few X-men and Hulk thrown into the mix.

Some other JB Avengers covers for sale in 2010 or more recently include:

Avengers Annual 23 = 2K

Avengers 294 = 2.6K

Avengers 297 = 2K

I'll say it, that thing was fugly, I remember it on the racks when I was in middle school and remember thinking, man the story better be good because hat cover is :sick:

This Cockrum X-Men page was a big surprise. I missed on everything (Ofer 20) thanks to my civilian job requiring me to fly last Thursday night. For the past several years, I have cleared my work schedule to bid on these auctions, but I could not avoid it for this quarterly auction. I had to travel, and none of my bids held. I follow the early Cockrum X-Men market very closely. Mike Burkey had this page on his site multiple times over the last couple of years, and it sold for much more each time than $6,800. I believe that the consignor who potentially took a hit on this auction was a collector in TN. While I do not know him personally, he purchased this page from Mike last year off his website when Mike had it listed for USD$8,500. He may have moved it to someone else who then consigned it. While I do not know the specifics of that particular transaction, it hurts to swallow a loss like this, especially when C-Link takes their 10% cut from the sale price. Net proceeds to the seller was USD$6,120. Considering that the X-Men 96 page sold at Heritage for just under $9,000, the new buyer definitely scored a good bargain.

Going back to what Scott Williams started as an earlier thread on the Starlin vintage Marvel pages, I think Starlin prices are now starting to follow the exponential rule on supply and demand. Consider that the Warlock 15 and Avengers 107 pages sold nicely. I thought that my price on the Avengers 107 interior page would hold at $3,500, and it went past $4,000. This market is changing quickly for Starlin as more demand is out there, but it is only for the 1970s material. Buyers can still get good bargains on the Dreadstar pages currently listed on eBay.

Ciao!

PRC

Going back to what Scott Williams started as an earlier thread on the Starlin vintage Marvel pages, I think Starlin prices are now starting to follow the exponential rule on supply and demand. Consider that the Warlock 15 and Avengers 107 pages sold nicely. I thought that my price on the Avengers 107 interior page would hold at $3,500, and it went past $4,000. This market is changing quickly for Starlin as more demand is out there, but it is only for the 1970s material. Buyers can still get good bargains on the Dreadstar pages currently listed on eBay.

Ciao!

PRC

I sniped at just under $4000 and lost also. That is a sweet page.

Jay