• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clink!

113 posts in this topic

Among the lots that finished strongly:

WD #46 p14 for $4,200. I think it's a strong result? The logic of the WD market eludes me.

This blew me away. Based on the size and composition I thought it would for sure end at around $3K. Great page, and congrats to the seller.

Since When Did Logic Have Anything To Do With It???

:acclaim:image_zps9a9499d4.jpg

You 'ole sandbagger! Congrats on the page, man. Tyrese is my favorite character and that page is just a gut-punch everytime I see it.

Among the lots that finished strongly:

WD #46 p14 for $4,200. I think it's a strong result? The logic of the WD market eludes me.

This blew me away. Based on the size and composition I thought it would for sure end at around $3K. Great page, and congrats to the seller.

Since When Did Logic Have Anything To Do With It???

:acclaim:image_zps9a9499d4.jpg

You 'ole sandbagger! Congrats on the page, man. Tyrese is my favorite character and that page is just a gut-punch everytime I see it.

In truth that was my maximum bid, its all about the out crazy, put down what you think it would go for, then up it to what you think you would be comfortable paying, then add 10%.

Again, had a boat load of sellers credit so was a bit of a thrill bid and since the cover to WD 19 is no longer available, thought this would do!

Am I the only one surprised to find that the Dan Jurgens PREVIEWS

cover ended up at $8,643 ?!

I'm a huge Jurgens fan (my CAF can tell), but it almost seems like fluke.

The WIZARD cover at Heritage, which was published during the actual

Doomsday storyline, ended up at almost half of that.

Thank you, sir. IIRC it went for about $5500 the last time around, then some guy immediately put it on ebay for $15K. Same guy has the HoM #225 splash on eBay right now for $29.5K right now!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOUSE-OF-MYSTERY-225-TITLE-SPLASH-Bernie-Wrightson-original-art-Horror-sci-fi-/191084119689?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c7d804689

That has left me speechless, especially since it was hyping up the rematch, and not the original DoS storyline... Not that Im complaining though.

I assume you sold it ? I thought it replaced hands a couple of times already.

If you made this profit - good for you !

Nah wasnt me. I just like the precedent it sets for the value of DoS artwork. :)

Nah wasnt me. I just like the precedent it sets for the value of DoS artwork. :)

That's the question - did it set a precedent ? The WIZARD cover from a few months back was DOS too.

It also makes me wonder about how hight the Jurgens JLA poster art

(May auction) will end up at.

The poster fits my collection like a glove,

but it's my least favorite image of the JLA month, so I'd probably won't bid.

That's the question - did it set a precedent ? The WIZARD cover from a few months back was DOS too.

While I wouldnt go so far as to say it set an 8k precedent. This was a bit of an anomaly...It does show that the DoS is now in that area where well start seeing accelerated growth. Nostalgia has finally caught up to it. (10 years ago, you practically had to give the stuff away!)

Gal I was shocked too! It was hovering around a few hundred for a while.

Congrats to the consignor!

FYI, the one in the Heritage auction was not a cover. http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7084&lotNo=92008

While I wouldnt go so far as to say it set an 8k precedent. This was a bit of an anomaly...It does show that the DoS is now in that area where well start seeing accelerated growth. Nostalgia has finally caught up to it. (10 years ago, you practically had to give the stuff away!)

I read your post and was also surprised by the hefty $8.6K pricetag for this cover, then I took a closer look at it, and discovered it was a wrap-around cover on two comicart boards. So that information helped explain some of the additional value to the piece. Darkseid is also on the cover, beaten and unconscious. Cool...perhaps a bit more interest to some folks there. And finally I noticed each board contained a huge image of the battle participants...yet more value, I think.

I don't collect Jurgens art or Superman art per se, but I can see how this wrap-around cover would be quite desireable to someone who does. (thumbs u

By the way, I finally had some time to take a look at the closing results and perhaps engage some of you to provide your opinions on pricing:

-Art Adams Marvel Feature 11 cover recreation (Hulk v Thing) = $4.2K

-Andru Spidey Twinkies advert = $3K

-Bagley Cloak & Dagger 19 cover = $2.8K

-Bagley Ultimate Spiderman 100 cover = $3.9K (most paid for a USM cover?)

-Bolland Batman 447 cover prelim = $2.65K

-Buscema Avenger 267 cover = $8.1K :o

-Cockrum Xmen 98p14 (Storm v Sentinnel) = $6.8K I thought this had a lot going for it and should have cracked $10K. Did I misread the desire for 1st run Cockrum, Storm's popularity and the theme to the upcoming X-men movie?

-Colan DD 63p14 = $1.8K. A strong price for a DD page inked by Shores

-Ditko ASM 13p9 = $31K. Soooo, no Spidey & no Peter. Just Mysterio and JJJ for $31K. Yowza!

-Sparling Unexpected 133 cover = $3.2K

Does anyone know what the Romita JR ASM cover went for? With the gray goblin on the cover.

And Yoram - Yes, that is by far the most Ive even seen a USM cover go for. I can imagine the alternate two page cover from issue 100 originally sold for more. (Which I literally just offered 4k on, before I had seen the result for this one, and was turned down...) ... Still, as a USM collector, and someone who owns a decent amount of USM covers, Im obviously very happy to see such a strong result.

FYI, the one in the Heritage auction was not a cover. http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7084&lotNo=92008

Hey Claudio

Actually yeah it was. About 2 months after Superman died, Wizard released a special edition dedicated to his life and death.

Here is a scan of the actual cover...

http://www.fortressofbaileytude.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Superman-Wizard-Special-A.jpg

Hey Claudio

Actually yeah it was. About 2 months after Superman died, Wizard released a special edition dedicated to his life and death.

Here is a scan of the actual cover...

http://www.fortressofbaileytude.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Superman-Wizard-Special-A.jpg

Wow. If the auction description had mentioned that, I wonder if the bidding would have went even higher. hm

Does anyone know what the Romita JR ASM cover went for? With the gray goblin on the cover.

And Yoram - Yes, that is by far the most Ive even seen a USM cover go for. I can imagine the alternate two page cover from issue 100 originally sold for more. (Which I literally just offered 4k on, before I had seen the result for this one, and was turned down...) ... Still, as a USM collector, and someone who owns a decent amount of USM covers, Im obviously very happy to see such a strong result.

Romita Jr ASM cover = $5.1K