• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Income of OA Collectors

Income Brackets  

864 members have voted

1. 1. Income Brackets

65 posts in this topic

I think it might be useful to use this to get a perspective on the incomes reported:

1897961_10201399111523634_827197484_n.jpg

For US only, right?

Correct. These figures are from 2011 US tax returns for households so it may represent the income from two earners.

Sorry for not making that clear.

I think it might be useful to use this to get a perspective on the incomes reported:

1897961_10201399111523634_827197484_n.jpg

For US only, right?

Correct. These figures are from 2011 US tax returns for households so it may represent the income from two earners.

Sorry for not making that clear.

By the way, I picked my poll bracket based on total household income. That is the number that counts when allotting for OA, so that seemed to make sense.

Very interesting, Hari. I anticipated a bell-shaped curve, not a trigonometric curve like a SIN or COS wave. The highest percentage falls between $100,000 - $150,000, but the curve distorts at several places. There are now 5 respones above the $1,000,000 mark, and 38 responses total over $200,000. This is where disposable income becomes very important to drive the prices higher that we currently see across all auction platforms.

Ciao!

PRC

Definitely agree with whomever made the point of having to take into account your overall station in life. My wife and I make ok money for where we live, but we've got two young kids, a mortgage, some debt, and we had to get another car last year when a truck hit me and totaled mine.

I have a few pieces of OA, but it has to take a backseat to MANY other things. I buy what I like, and enjoy seeing it on the wall in our son's room (he loves superheroes), but I don't own anything expensive. Maybe later in life, but until then, keeping my priorities in order has to come above owning more OA.

Definitely agree with whomever made the point of having to take into account your overall station in life. My wife and I make ok money for where we live, but we've got two young kids, a mortgage, some debt, and we had to get another car last year when a truck hit me and totaled mine.

I have a few pieces of OA, but it has to take a backseat to MANY other things. I buy what I like, and enjoy seeing it on the wall in our son's room (he loves superheroes), but I don't own anything expensive. Maybe later in life, but until then, keeping my priorities in order has to come above owning more OA.

Change a few of the details, and +1 for me.....

We often hear about people selling art to pay for more art, or when one makes a profit, putting it right back into the hobby.

I wonder how often people "cash out" to purchase something not art related--say a car or a down payment on a house.

My wife is always wanting to do this, confusingly.

We often hear about people selling art to pay for more art, or when one makes a profit, putting it right back into the hobby.

I wonder how often people "cash out" to purchase something not art related--say a car or a down payment on a house.

I have done this more than once.

I recently did this to realize some life goals for my wife and I. It happens, but it's difficult (for me anyway).

I did the same with my comics years ago, but comics are different because if I sell a copy of a certain comic, I can always buy another one at some point in the future (perhaps at a higher price but I'll be able to buy one if I want to because they're out there). The art I've sold will likely reside in someone's personal collection for years as it did in mine, so the likelihood of ever getting those pages back is slim to none. THAT, to me, is the hardest part about selling off art for something non-art related.

Yep, your situation in life certainly has an impact on your buying power, even my time to participate here in this forum. I'm married, saving to send 3 kids to college and paying for my niece's college now.

On the other hand, I have no complaints and am enjoying everything. Affordable art hangs on the wall and I'm going skiing again this weekend.

Change a few of the details, and +1 for me.....

Change truck to car and that was me last year too!

I got interested in comic art about the time the first of my three girls started college. My youngest graduated in May and I was feeling pretty darned rich until...

Yep, my wife went back to school at Rice U. Sigh...

:)

Well, it is clearly some sort of advanced algorithm where OA purchasing money is a factor of many variables with "house money" from early OA buys and income two variables that should be weighted against the others like life situation etc. We even used the word mortgage, and some mortgages here are likely a little larger than others. If those people making seven figures don't have a significantly larger mortgage than me (unless they have no mortgage of course), they should. At least I would. Even college as a life factor, that cost is fairly fixed and of less importance at higher levels of income and house money. Then we are kind of assuming every spare dollar goes to OA and not other leisure pursuits. I would give up OA before I give up golf, even if more money goes to OA, but I certainly spend considerable cash on golf.

The fact is we are all even when it comes to buying. Skill, patience,determination, luck, mania, obsession, and compulsion are as important as money. Setting your sights reasonably is the key in my case. And admitting mistakes and letting them go.

Okay, wild stream of consciousness ride over now.