• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saga Of The Swamp Thing

106 posts in this topic

The Roots of Swamp Thing collects the original stories, HOUSE OF SECRETS #92, along with SWAMP THING #1-13 by Len Wein (Author) , Bernie Wrightson (Illustrator).

It wasn't bad, but not as good as when Moore took it over.

http://www.amazon.com/Roots-Swamp-Thing-Vol-1/dp/1401232876/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1394118521&sr=8-19&keywords=swamp+thing

Bernie only did 1-10, Nestor Redondo took over then

i have #1 (Wein, Wrightson 8.0) and #9 SS (Bernie Wrightson 8.5) CGC

Moore did great things for the character, if he hadn't it'd be like Man-Thing

Absolutely beautiful page, Swamp putting Alec to rest. My main goal for the year (nerdwise) is to finally get a page or 2 from this story. Back in the day I picked up a random copy featuring Etrigan, and the Monkey King. I was hooked, picking up a copy here and there. Now I have the full run and the 6 volume Hardcover set. DC needs to make an Omnibus/Absolute box set, not sure what there waiting for. I'll be sure to buy them to, well just because. Who else but Alan Moore could put Walt Kellys Pogo(Pog) and have you sitting in deep thought. Its not everyone's cup of tea, but to me stories such as this makes this hobby great.

comic book confessions; despite what I think/hope is good taste in good comics, I've never liked Moore's Swamp Thing run.

I loved the first few issues, but after that it really wasn't as good as some of the other Moore stuff.

Moore did great things for the character, if he hadn't it'd be like Man-Thing

Swamp Thing and Man-Thing are nothing alike and this had nothing to do with Moore.

The Swamp Thing was a readable, enjoyable comic under Wein and Wrightson. Man-Thing under Steve Gerber was an indecipherable mess IMHO. I've tried to read the 1970s Man-Thing and I just don't get it.

Well I just finished the 3rd comic in the first trade, a couple more to go then I will need volume 2. It is decent so far but I am not to excited about it yet. Are the other volumes better then the first?

The first issue was a little confusing for me...a lot of characters being used that I had no idea about. But so far I liked the second issue best #21 with Dr. Woodrue. I will keep reading.

As for Man-Thing, I have never read his series either. Only thing I read with him was the Giant Sized Spider-Man he guest starred in.

Well I just finished the 3rd comic in the first trade, a couple more to go then I will need volume 2. It is decent so far but I am not to excited about it yet. Are the other volumes better then the first?

The first issue was a little confusing for me...a lot of characters being used that I had no idea about. But so far I liked the second issue best #21 with Dr. Woodrow. I will keep reading.

As for Man-Thing, I have never read his series either. Only thing I read with him was the Giant Sized Spider-Man he guest starred in.

With all the Marvels you have read, you are probably expecting a bunch of heroes to fight, take 12 pages to figure out they are on the same side, go beat up the bad guy, and then sell some Hostess Pies.

Don't let this dissuade you.

The first issue was a little confusing for me...a lot of characters being used that I had no idea about. But so far I liked the second issue best #21 with Dr. Woodrow. I will keep reading.

With all the Marvels you have read, you are probably expecting a bunch of heroes to fight, take 12 pages to figure out they are on the same side, go beat up the bad guy, and then sell some Hostess Pies.

I just laughed my off.. lol

When waiting for a train at Victoria Station in 1984, Gaiman noticed a copy of Swamp Thing written by Alan Moore, and carefully read it. Moore's fresh and vigorous approach to comics had such an impact on Gaiman that he would later write; "that was the final straw, what was left of my resistance crumbled. I proceeded to make regular and frequent visits to London's Forbidden Planet shop to buy comics".

If a series can motivate someone enough to work towards becoming one of the biggest names in the hobby, it's probably worth reading.

Saga of the Swamp Thing #28. Excellent story!

lol

So true.

Absolutely beautiful page, Swamp putting Alec to rest. My main goal for the year (nerdwise) is to finally get a page or 2 from this story. Back in the day I picked up a random copy featuring Etrigan, and the Monkey King. I was hooked, picking up a copy here and there. Now I have the full run and the 6 volume Hardcover set. DC needs to make an Omnibus/Absolute box set, not sure what there waiting for. I'll be sure to buy them to, well just because. Who else but Alan Moore could put Walt Kellys Pogo(Pog) and have you sitting in deep thought. Its not everyone's cup of tea, but to me stories such as this makes this hobby great.

This early run was awesome. I own this cover, actually.

Swamp Thing #21 is the single greatest origin story ever told.

Well I personally haven't read every single origin story issue ever but this is undoubtedly true.

Swamp Thing #21 is probably one of the ten best single issues in all of comics. It not only started Moore's career in the US, but it practically was the framework for the launch of the Vertigo line. It is often credited as such.

Well I personally haven't read every single origin story issue ever but this is undoubtedly true.

It's even better than the ones that haven't even been written yet.

It's even better than the ones that haven't even been written yet.

.... it's a comic I can read a hundred times.... a classic in the truest sense. That Moore run was probably the most anticipated monthly release I ever knew.... back when they were coming out. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

For over 40 years, Batman and Spider-Man have been my two favorite characters.

EXCEPT for Moore's four year run on Swamp Thing. What a ride that was. :cloud9:

....it totally broadsided me too. It was an awakening for me..... it was refreshing. A lot of that mid 80's stuff was super..... Byrne FF's, Perez Titans, Miller Batman, Alien Worlds..... It was a good time for comics..... they all seemed to be trying to one up each other. You could still get a half dozen for 5 bucks or so :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

The underwater vampires issue still creeps me out.

+1 I love that he revisited the flooded town from Saga #3.

I also found Martin Pasko's child killer demon very disturbing in issue #4. Though not written by Moore-this story is straight horror, and I remember being disturbed as a kid reading it. :eek:

:banana: Chris