• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do any of you guys press moderns?

507 posts in this topic

This man (garf) is owed a few free pressings.

And I now have 3 people on ignore. All 3 in the last 2 months.

And Mike observations from the very beginning have been spot on.

I've said not one word directed to you joey, if you want to block me, thats why the feature is there. I've got my fair share of people blocked, Turdplant now included, its definitely a very useful feature.

You talk of free speech and then have to use derogatory terms to get your point across. Believe it or not I have some experience in life, and knowing what I know about Larry from others that have dealt with him in the past...this thread had no other way of ending. Personally I did not think it would be Larry to end off the way he did, but why be nice after you get what you want.

Maybe we are all missing the point here as there is no free speech on this forum. Ultimately the conversation has boundaries that other places on the internet do not... unless you want to take a nice a 'oliday ;) What Joey may in part be alluding to is a bigger picture, but not coming back to cover that what we may have here is gluten free Larry lite. Whatever that means. Not everyone uses Twitter Joey.

There's a lot of irony wrapped up in everything posted here not related to the topic regardless of what angle you choose to look at it from. I guess all I disliked, and probably CBT as well (maybe? dunno ???), is that it felt at first there was a whiff of "brigading". Possibly unfounded and it was just strong opinion? Further irony is that the people with community spirit will often take the side of someone that is being piled on.

In a similar vein to Transplant defending or clarifying or ... or ... whatever ... other people's posts I think it would be a shame if CBT and others built a divide over this. CBT contributes to the community as do you guys.

Bygones. Small potatoes. Rosy lipped batfish /careface ....

507ebad9e9929c52370013a4_lim_1363111608984_w320.png

The amount of bashing he takes on the chin every time he posts, I am surprised he posts at all. The Larry haters on these boards are equally as bad as the things they accuse him of.

I disagree with this, Larry does not get flack because he is a man of the people fighting against the bullies on the board who want to keep us down. He gets flack because of his racists and homophobic jokes and statements for which he is well known. His MO on the boards is always the same, he picks fights and then plays the victim when people confront him. If anyone wants to start a pressing thread, then go ahead, share tips and press away. But a pressing thread started and championed by Larry? Joey was right, the only question was "would mods close the thread before Larry flamed out." (shrug)

Pray tell. How do you read his post?

I'll tell you how your posts read instead, mmm'kay

Your troll-olo-olo-lol post first:

Am I the only either confused or insulted by this post?

1.) false dichotomy, get used to that, its your main passive aggressive troll tool. You love to try and create two groups, us and them, then argue you from your false premise

2.) fein being insulted. Of course you aren't insulted by his post, cause you dont care, you just looking for the segway to get those troll engines rev'd up.

Either it doesn't make any sense or Larry is, once again

1.) false dichotomy, gain, quelle surprise. Because your fake "two options" MUST be the only possibilities.

Larry is, once again, calling everyone here a dink and telling you that you suck. We're all fairly ignorant?

1.) Assumption without proof. You claim larry is doing something he always does, with nothing to back you up. fail!

2.) There it is AGAIN folks, you're own little fantasy US and THEM. The false attribution of "WE" to some imaginary group that of course includes you, and doesnt include Larry.

3.) but wait, there's yet more BS in this sentence, look closer:

"telling you that you suck"

The mighty Trollplant ( lol ), takes a timeout from his fake US and THEM aspersions to reveal that not only is he trolling, but he believes he is trolling for an audience. Of course, an audience of ignorants who need his troll powers to be educated in the true evil that is Larry.

Sounds like someone got what they wanted from you, the CGC board member.

1.) Apparently this new fake US and THEM means that TROLLPLANT isnt a CGC board member. His super elite inner clique of GPA ghetto vets, moderators, and people who PAID SOMEONE to teach them how to press (again lol ), give out secret decoder rings that let them post here without actually being members.

It's funny, and i'll take a one paragraph timeout from taking Trollplant apart here, how often you see this sort of delusional baseless arrogance in everyday life. People who think they are in the know, and love to use words like Sheeple, The Masses, The Public, etc, so blind to the fact they are exactly what they try to generalize others as....i digress.

Now that he has it, he's back to insults.

1.) Straight up false. He's argued with the same people from the beginning of this thread. Those who attacked him first and those who would try and prevent free speech.

You folks got played and you either don't realize it or for some reason don't care.

1.) wait for it....wait for it.... False Dichotomy again lol .This Trollplant sure is a one-track record. Please inform US what YOU in all your glorious knowledge, managed to avoid.

A chance to take potshots at the board in general? Something that I'm reading wrong.

1.) Baseless claim, phrased as a question. Actually, it was a chance to learn about pressing, share it publicly with all, and give out free stuff to those who weren't dissuaded by you and other thread derailers.

I've not said one word in about a week in here. Larry posted his pressing info and I read but didn't say anything. Yet somehow I'm trolling for mentioning that the post is either an insult or something that makes no sense?

1.) False premise. How often you post in the thread, or how long a hiatus you take, have nothing to do with being a Troll(plant).

2.) Read up, buttercup, as they say. I break down the Blow by Trolly-Blow, for all to see.

Not sure why you have such a hard on for me, but that troll you're looking for might be closer than you think.

1.) Thanks for the sexual harassment, but i'll pass, you arent my type.

2.) In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people:

-by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages

(in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog)),

either accidentally or with the deliberate intent

of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

====================================

====================================

So Trollplant, I conclude with this summary:

-Stop derailing/trolling this thread with your little rhetorical word games

-U MAD

and

========================

TL,DR

========================

Trollplant ... lol

Holy dude. That's a whole lot of trouble for someone you could just have on ignore lol

I am surprised it lasted this long before it imploded.

This isn't rocket science. You have to put in the time in, there is no shortcut.

If there was more people would do it. I love slabbers and pressers and I hope more got created from this thread. I don't care what they do with my books after they buy them and if they can make more $$$ great.

Honestly, if this was part of my business model I wouldn't share any details either. Why some here expect them too is hilarious.

Here is Larry's demo in a nutshell.

Larry opens the press.

Larry puts the book in the press.

Larry closes the press.

Larry turns on the press.

Larry cooks the book.

Larry turns off the press.

Larry lets the book cool.

Larry opens the press.

Larry takes the book out.

Larry looks at his work.

Larry sells the book or sends it off to CGC and then sells it.

No secrets here. Everything done is already documented on-line.

Let me know if I missed anything.

I'm just a monkey eating my own poo...

I talk to enough well educated people in the hobby, I'll figure it out Joey, your tone speaks volumes.

Have your fun. I'm having lunch next week with my old college roommate, now a top player in Ephemera Restoration. He switched his focus from graphic design after taking a papermaking class at the MFA school. He'll point me in the right direction.

I'm primarily interested in pressing moderns to remove spine ticks.

I have paid good money for that service for a decade now...

What type of Press works best?

What type of modifications should be made?

What type of surface?

What type of release paper, if any?

In which cases should I use heat?

What temperature?

How long?

Should humidity be controlled?

What type of pressure?

My questions are endless,,

So are most collectors.

I'll drag it all into the light...

From my perspective, this thread is self-serving for the OP. He claims he’ll “drag it into the light.” But under that pretense; what he was doing is soliciting information for his own use. Once, he gathered enough information, he kissed everybody goodbye with a few parting shots. If he was genuinely interested in educating everybody in how to press, he would have volunteered all the information he received, including PMs and continued to post results. I wonder if that video he promised is forthcoming. My guess is that he got what he wanted and left.

he posted a lot of information, more than enough for anyone to get to the same point he is at with pressing. All the serious pressers go through a learning process, and trial and error to learn the ins and outs of their specific press.

Leaving all the fighting aside, this thread has a lot of information for someone looking to get started, and to help them skip forward over some of the beginner mistakes, and to get started themselves.

Here is Larry's demo in a nutshell.

Larry opens the press.

Larry puts the book in the press.

Larry closes the press.

Larry turns on the press.

Larry cooks the book.

Larry turns off the press.

Larry lets the book cool.

Larry opens the press.

Larry takes the book out.

Larry looks at his work.

Larry sells the book or sends it off to CGC and then sells it.

No secrets here. Everything done is already documented on-line.

Let me know if I missed anything.

I'm just a monkey eating my own poo...

I talk to enough well educated people in the hobby, I'll figure it out Joey, your tone speaks volumes.

Have your fun. I'm having lunch next week with my old college roommate, now a top player in Ephemera Restoration. He switched his focus from graphic design after taking a papermaking class at the MFA school. He'll point me in the right direction.

I'm primarily interested in pressing moderns to remove spine ticks.

I have paid good money for that service for a decade now...

What type of Press works best?

What type of modifications should be made?

What type of surface?

What type of release paper, if any?

In which cases should I use heat?

What temperature?

How long?

Should humidity be controlled?

What type of pressure?

My questions are endless,,

So are most collectors.

I'll drag it all into the light...

From my perspective, this thread is self-serving for the OP. He claims he’ll “drag it into the light.” But under that pretense; what he was doing is soliciting information for his own use. Once, he gathered enough information, he kissed everybody goodbye with a few parting shots. If he was genuinely interested in educating everybody in how to press, he would have volunteered all the information he received, including PMs and continued to post results. I wonder if that video he promised is forthcoming. My guess is that he got what he wanted and left.

I'm packing this week for my 2014 show season, then I'll pull my press out again.

A little vacation from this Viper pit will go a long way.

I just pressed this digital comic, It came out flawless:

PQgID16l.jpg

This whole thread makes me wonder how many WD #1s or New Mutants 98's were real 9.8s or 9.9s without being pressed since there's no way to tell once the book's been slabbed. Since CGC doesn't recognize it as altering / restoring, I'm not gonna argue against the benefit of turning a 9.4 book into a 9.8 for maximum profit, though it technically is a restoration

This whole thread makes me wonder how many WD #1s or New Mutants 98's were real 9.8s or 9.9s without being pressed since there's no way to tell once the book's been slabbed. Since CGC doesn't recognize it as altering / restoring, I'm not gonna argue against the benefit of turning a 9.4 book into a 9.8 for maximum profit, though it technically is a restoration

One of the nicest collections that I ever saw were 50'S-60'S books from Avalon comics in the 90's.

Books had been stored in drawers in stacks with the spines alternated with a big hc on top.

Pressing has been around forever.

if you really want to dig into that aspect of it, look at spine adjustments (the goal being to hide the defects on the spine that cant be pressed out).

Spine adjustments are rampant, with people essentially asking the pros to do it for them. And I understand that, the customer is always right. Its not on the pressers to change, its on CGC, but they wont touch the issue because of all the misgraded books.

There are a lot of them, even from well known sellers, and even on these boards. First thing I look at when I go into a sales thread. I wont buy any slabbed book that I think might even have the chance of the Chiropractor at work.