• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Full Flash Costume revealed

79 posts in this topic

He will be running so fast you won't even notice it's basically the classic Silver Age costume with the "Superman Returns" burgundy shorts color because, heaven forbid they use red.

I am betting the material doesn't come in bright red, to expensive to change it to red digitally so it is burgundy.

Put him in bright red spandex and it just wouldn't work.

I agree (sort of), but why?

Bold primary colors worked in 1978 for Superman, so why not now? The only meaningful answer is that our aesthetic has somehow been altered in the interim: these days, we expect drab colors on superheroes, and reject bright, vibrant ones as cartoony and childish.

Reverse the eras and colors, and try to imagine your reaction to seeing a promo image of a muted, burgundy-colored movie Flash ca. 1980. I'm guessing "It just won't work..." would have been an almost universal reaction back then as well.

What's changed? We have, I guess.

I was thinking about this very subject a short time ago after watching this video:

)

My immediate reaction (after I made yet another brief mental note of how incredibly fetching Katy Perry is) was: "Wow...I sure wish someone would make a comic book movie that looked like this!"

Not bloody likely, I know...

On this: Is it that we the people have changed or is it that someone is telling us what we will like?

I am betting it is the latter.

I would be fine with seeing a bright red Flash, and a Wolverine in that bright yellow might work because..well I accepted it fine in the comics.

On this: Is it that we the people have changed or is it that someone is telling us what we will like?

I am betting it is the latter.

It's been a generation now since Tim Burton's Batman came out in 1989, which visually (among other things) was designed to be the polar opposite of the campy, colorful '60s TV show.

So I'm guessing that the aesthetic shift has a lot to do with a generation of filmmakers (and audience members) who came of age during that period, or in its prodigious wake, and whose tastes were shaped by it.

Now, "drab" and "muted" is all we see, so it looks "right" because...it's all we see.

That costume doesn't look very friction resistant. Maybe they should read up before they do stupid stuff.

Dosnt have to be. The speed force should shield him

Why do super heroes and super villains wear costumes? I mean, wouldn't they have the element of surprise more if they just wore jeans and a t-shirt?

Stealth and surprise are tremendous assets in battle.

And they wear dumb costumes anyway. You fight crime in the dark as a bat, and you wear a bright yellow emblem on your chest? Or you wear bright green, yellow and red?

Dumb.

The Black Panther has it more right than any other costumed hero.

looks better that the crapfest singer is giving us with quicksilver

Where is there a image of this?!?

When does this Flash show debut? What channel?

show comes out this fall on the CW network.

here is quicksilver in X-men days of future past.

X-Men-Days-of-Future-Past-Quicksilver-889x1024.jpg

That's Quicksilver? doh!

That look is better suited for this guy:

Jean-Paul_Beaubier_Earth-2530_zps6577ab1e.jpg

Why do super heroes and super villains wear costumes? I mean, wouldn't they have the element of surprise more if they just wore jeans and a t-shirt?

Stealth and surprise are tremendous assets in battle.

And the wear dumb costumes anyway. You fight crime in the dark as a bat, and you wear a bright yellow emblem on your chest? Or you wear bright green, yellow and red?

Dumb.

The Black Panther has it more right than any other costumed hero.

One of just many reasons why I'm just not that interested in 'super' comics right now.

looks better that the crapfest singer is giving us with quicksilver

Where is there a image of this?!?

When does this Flash show debut? What channel?

show comes out this fall on the CW network.

here is quicksilver in X-men days of future past.

X-Men-Days-of-Future-Past-Quicksilver-889x1024.jpg

That's Quicksilver? doh!

That look is better suited for this guy:

Jean-Paul_Beaubier_Earth-2530_zps6577ab1e.jpg

first image that makes me worried about the movie. Quicksilver looks terrible.

Here's a picture of The Flash in action

sx3P01X.jpg

It's a good thing he practiced while he was in Glee.

This image helps me to confirm that I will not be watching this show.

I anticipated this show to be "Smallville" all over again. High school, teen angst, "I love you but we can't be together because of my secret.."

UGH

Here's a picture of The Flash in action

sx3P01X.jpg

It's a good thing he practiced while he was in Glee.

This image helps me to confirm that I will not be watching this show.

I anticipated this show to be "Smallville" all over again. High school, teen angst, "I love you but we can't be together because of my secret.."

UGH

Exactly.

Quicksilver looks like a gay elf btw

What? No bright yellow boots?

Even the New 52 didn't take that away!

Those boots in the pic look like they would fall apart at anything faster than 100mph

I would expect the Flash to be wearing some seriously heavy duty shoes

Because a drawing of guy in jeans and a t-shirt lifting a car over his head on the cover of Action Comics #1 would have sold far less copies than a picture of a cape-wearing guy in a brightly-colored red, yellow, and blue circus suit.

Because goofy looking batsuits are more fun than street-clothes; a guy called "Spider-Man" shouldn't dress like a plumber; take the costumes and makeup away form KISS and you have four ugly guys w/New Yawk accents + smokebombs.

Because the whole idea of "superheroes" is silly (in a good way) and (basically) for kids and kids at heart; it's not supposed to be "real", it's supposed to be "fun".

It's all very simple, really... :grin: