• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Problems with Facilitators

121 posts in this topic

I gotta say, not getting your book signed in a specific color is a weak complaint. These guys work really hard just to get the signature. Be happy it got done at all. :sumo:

Not unless you pay good money for that ink on that book. If a facilitator can't read a note stating you want specific ink, go to another facilitator. Customer is paying for a service, not half a complete job. Would you buy a red car if you initially wanted a blue car? Its one think if its a mistake, if it happens more than that its called a habit.

In general, I haven't had problems with facilitators. When I started, I didn't know about different sig colors. Seeing my earlier CGC SIGs, I can't stand the fact the ink is different. I now make sure its the same as I like uniformity. When I got CAPTAIN AMERICA 111 signed by Steranko & Sinnott, I asked for blue ink as it pops out on the white cover (plus it matches cap's colors). Will share when I get it back from CGC.

If there was an agreement for a refund, and the refund is not given, then we have an issue. But it seems to me the OP is complaining about it not getting done, not about the refund. I don't see how this is something to sound the alarm about. (shrug)

Again, you're missing the point. Simply asked if this was common, and if it wasn't, I will look for another facilitator....Not sure how you didn't get that....was a simple question...

I've stated my opinion, you did yours. Let's move on. :foryou:

No hard feelings.

I gotta say, not getting your book signed in a specific color is a weak complaint. These guys work really hard just to get the signature. Be happy it got done at all. :sumo:

Really dude? Any need for that? Did I accuse anyone? Did I say they were doing a **** job? Simply asked if other people were having this issue....Save your comments for someone else, you aren't helping...

Paying for a service, entitled to ask something if I'm not getting what I want....

Dude, I've had books signed just like you. Don't act as if you are the first kid to have his ice cream knocked over.

The point I'm making is unless you were robbed (and no refunds given) your complaint is not something to bring to the forum. If the job is not getting done, then find someone else to do it. WTF, you don't need board permission for that.

You couldn't have missed the point of this post more if you tried - simply asking if this is common and should I look elsewhere..don't need your smartass comments...maybe don't act like everything you say is gospel....

If you paid for a certain colour and arranged it ahead of time then I would suggest another facilitator. If you just sent the books and a bunch of sharpies with various requests then you need to communicate before sending the books. I rarely agree to gold and I also rarely ask for gold even though it pops very nicely on some books.

In the end if you communicated your expectations and it wasn't met then move on. A deal is a deal and it includes colours.

Most of the facilitators and CAWs that have commented have not completed colour requests at some point including me. :shy:

+1

I only offer gold silver bronze and black. But I don't ensure that people will get them in those colors. I also don't charge extra for a color swap. Right now I do have one client that has asked me to use different colors than what I offer. He sent me markers to try out and I have told him I'll do my best with them.

But for a facilitator to charge extra and then disregard a clients wishes after they've made payment is unacceptable and it's time to switch.

It happens and it can be a huge bummer, but it could be a lot worse. I'd rather have a good sig in say silver than a smeared to Hell sig in the right color.

Don't forget that there could be an opinion about the book and the desired color if it was say an artist signing. I've had artists be right on the edge of saying not to using a cetain color because they know it'll not look that good.

I agree with Doug on this one. If your unhappy then change.

I for one have had to switch things up on my own with Denny O'Neil at Wizard World this year. I had asked for him to sign in a certain place and windowed it out for Neal Adams to sign somewhere in one color and him to sign in another. He instead chose only to sign in black and the signature was a little hard to make out. With this one I rolled with the punches and graciously thanked him anyways because he still is an amazing writer and always will be.

When it comes to color I tend to side more with the top three (Black, Gold, Silver) but also have jumped out a little here and there for change ups but at all times think of this as a passion and never a job. Find someone of like mind, like Dan, Doug, Adonis, Darrel, Glynn, Curt, and the list goes on... and stick with them. While this may have been a few times I do know mistakes happen. DWC did it once and only once to me and made it right the moment it was caught. As long as the facilitator makes it right then simply thank them for there time and assistance and move on if you believe the issue will continue to come up.

I am throwing my hat in the ring with the big dogs as we speak and can only hope to maintain the levels of happiness that many of these other successful facilitators have had.

For certain books the color is a big deal. If the cover is black or a bunch of dark colors, a black marker isn't doing anyone any good. Saying he should just be happy to get it signed is bull. If you get the wrong order in a restaurant should you just be happy to get a meal?

I agree with Doug on this one. If your unhappy then change.

I for one have had to switch things up on my own with Denny O'Neil at Wizard World this year. I had asked for him to sign in a certain place and windowed it out for Neal Adams to sign somewhere in one color and him to sign in another. He instead chose only to sign in black and the signature was a little hard to make out. With this one I rolled with the punches and graciously thanked him anyways because he still is an amazing writer and always will be.

When it comes to color I tend to side more with the top three (Black, Gold, Silver) but also have jumped out a little here and there for change ups but at all times think of this as a passion and never a job. Find someone of like mind, like Dan, Doug, Adonis, Darrel, Glynn, Curt, and the list goes on... and stick with them. While this may have been a few times I do know mistakes happen. DWC did it once and only once to me and made it right the moment it was caught. As long as the facilitator makes it right then simply thank them for there time and assistance and move on if you believe the issue will continue to come up.

I am throwing my hat in the ring with the big dogs as we speak and can only hope to maintain the levels of happiness that many of these other successful facilitators have had.

So to dig a little deeper, the issues I've had are for Jim Lee and Neal Adams sigs mainly (there were a couple of others but I can live with those)....we all know they sign in different colors...we've all seen them...and this wasn't just all at one show...it was over multiple shows...unless there is something I don't know about Jim or Neal being difficult when it comes to this, then is it just the facilitator being slack? The sigs i've asked for have been gold or silver...and some of them had to be that color otherwise the sig would have been hard to see...which is what has happened...

I appreciate all the feedback though...

I have had Stan Lee sign an Iron Man 1 in black ink. When I initially received the book back, I thought there was a mistake, that it did not get signed. Then with some careful inspection, there it was!

Since it was not a keeper, I sold it. You would think the facilitator would have helped avoid this. Maybe I should have had a big note: "SIGN IN SILVER INK"

Or maybe Stan Lee just gets too much in a hurry to finish the hundreds of books each signing. (shrug)

For Neal Adams I have never had an issue and always being my own pens for him to sign in just so it will really get that pop to it. He will sign in whatever color you ask him to without issue. His big thing is you are paying him (Now $20) to sign a book so he ensures your happy with the Signatures. Jim's line are huge when I got a sig from him so can understand his cranking them out but still yet have seen his quick sketches and know he uses every marker he has available to him.

Like I said, thank them for services rendered and take your business/passion elsewhere.

For Neal Adams I have never had an issue and always being my own pens for him to sign in just so it will really get that pop to it. He will sign in whatever color you ask him to without issue. His big thing is you are paying him (Now $20) to sign a book so he ensures your happy with the Signatures. Jim's line are huge when I got a sig from him so can understand his cranking them out but still yet have seen his quick sketches and know he uses every marker he has available to him.

Like I said, thank them for services rendered and take your business/passion elsewhere.

will do mate, thanks...now just have to look for someone else!

Neal Adams cares a great deal about how his sigs and quick sketches will look on a book. He told me bronze was a no go on my book this weekend. He said if I had to have it he would, but he told me why it was not a good idea and I deferred to his exponentially greater experience.

He could have just signed it and moved along when I handed him my open and ready bronze Sharpie with my book, but he took some time to make sure it was the best it could be.

These guys work really, really hard to get your books done and they don't make much (if any) on the whole facilitating gig. I urge you to check with your facilitator first and make sure there isn't some extenuating circumstances (Jim Starlin being allergic to any color other than black, for instance) and make sure that you were very clear about what you wanted. There is certainly a time and a place for complaints/grievances, but you should certainly do everything you can to work with your facilitator before contacting Mike Balent and before airing it here.

These guys work really, really hard to get your books done and they don't make much (if any) on the whole facilitating gig. I urge you to check with your facilitator first and make sure there isn't some extenuating circumstances (Jim Starlin being allergic to any color other than black, for instance) and make sure that you were very clear about what you wanted. There is certainly a time and a place for complaints/grievances, but you should certainly do everything you can to work with your facilitator before contacting Mike Balent and before airing it here.

I asked a simple question to see if other people have had the same issues as me.. and to ask for advice...did I say who the facilitator is? No I didn't...was simply asking for advice....yep, they all do a great job...they also have taken on a responsibility....so can we stop with the "these guys work really hard and don't air your greviences here"...it was never about that...it was about advice...if I can't get it here, then where can I get it?? And contacting Mike Balent was someones advice...did i say I was going to do that? Nope...some of you guys need to chill out and read the whole feed before jumping to conclusions....

I have ran into a few issues when submitting with facilitators, but most of them if I contact them work well to fix the situation if it can be fixed. There are some things outside a facilitators control. Sometimes before the facilitator has a chance to say something the artist, media talent, or writer are so trigger happy they signed the comic before they can say where and in what color. Some media talents require a personalization and if your unavailable when the facilitator calls they are going to make the best judgement to get the comic signed or not my fault for not being available.

I have used Rich Henn, Dscott, DWC, and MightyJohn. I would use them all again based on experiences in a heartbeat. I would also consider using Darrel F based on praise on these boards.

I asked a simple question to see if other people have had the same issues as me.. and to ask for advice...did I say who the facilitator is?

No I didn't...was simply asking for advice....yep, they all do a great job...they also have taken on a responsibility....

so can we stop with the "these guys work really hard and don't air your greviences here"...

it was never about that...it was about advice...if I can't get it here, then where can I get it??

And contacting Mike Balent was someones advice...

did i say I was going to do that?

Nope...some of you guys need to chill out and read the whole feed before jumping to conclusions....

[font:Book Antiqua]Agree.

This is a business for everyone involved.

No one do this for free or because you are the nicest guy.

whoever pay:

CGC + Shipping + facilator + artist fees

Deserve whatever he pay for...

[/font]

2c

No facilitator is perfect, you will get a mistake from time to time, but if it's a common occurrance and you've highlighted the mistakes to the facilitator, then just change. There are plenty other facilitators out there who will be more than happy to take your business.

I also think there was no problem in your thread, not naming the facilitator involved is also the right thing.

I have encountered more problems with CGC labelling than facilitators. I already pay lot of money for cgc then have to pay extra money for shipping on top due to their mistakes