• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Problems with Facilitators

121 posts in this topic

But it's also a fact that they get paid to do the job right, not wrong. If a creator is giving them grief, yes that sucks but that's part of the job they got paid for, especially when dealing with numerous personalities who want you to do things for them (be it signature hogs, creators, etc).

I am curious as to what this means to you. Does this mean that you expect a facilitator to become combative or attempt to force a creator to do what you want because you have paid them their fee for that book?

That's not going to work out for anyone.

It just means you should get what you paid for. If that job is incomplete (be it that a facilitator could not get the sig since a creator is so popular or the sig is signed with the an ink color that you did not request since you paid extra for it) than the buyer is entitled to a refund from the facilitator. Nothing more than that.

I don't expect facilitators to fight with creators to get a signature. That's ridiculous and helps nobody. But if a creator is charging for a signature, it's your right to ask them to sign the book in ink you'd like as well as placement -- be it at the top of a cover, the bottom of a cover or on the first page. Buyers can also make life easier for everybody by supplying the artists / writers / facilitators with specific markers they'd like to have used.

I just feel you have a right to get what you paid for. Nothing more than that. ;)

and I will point out I was never informed I didn't get the color I wanted....i found yesterday when I received the box of slabs....Like I've said previously they were mostly Jim Lee and Neal Adams books with some Star Wars thrown in, and people have already said that these two creators don't have an issue with color....so it's not just a one off issue...I had 2 SW books that have triple sigs on them, both signed the same day, one with all silver as requested (GREAT!!) and the other one silver and two black...what???!

After everyone's advice I've already moved on and had someone contact me to help me out in the future...so thanks everyone for the advice, good and bad :)

Sometimes it is the talent that does it, not the facilitator or the CAW. It is always disappointing, but it doesn't always mean someone is asleep at the switch.

+1

I feel terrible when it happens but what are you going to do? It happened to me this year at Dragoncon with Dushku. Marsters laughed and said her ego got the best of her when all the other sigs were in black and she signed in blue on a cast signed book.

My clients typically send me different color pens if they want a specific color....but then again, I don't charge for different colors either.

I don't charge for color pens, cracking slabs either.

Part of the service.

But as others noted, sometimes you have little control.

Starlin is a great example as is George Martin.Sometimes you are so rushed you have to get outt and move forward. Asquickly as possible.c

I've gone to the NYCC, grabbed a witness and got a few books signed a couple times..... Total chaos. Very few things go as planned.... And that's with just 10 books or so! :ohnoez:

500 books last year. 800 the year before. Thankfully the client list is short. (thumbs u

So if the option is to have the book signed in the "wrong" colour or not have it signed at all then what is the preference?

Would you buy the Amazing Spider-man 9/11 issue that's all black that's signed in black markero n the cover (not the logo)? If I can't see a sig, there's no point in getting it.

Why do you debate in extremes? Same book. Client wants gold but gets silver. Problem? Should the book not have been signed?

I just submitted a book along with a gold pen and a request for the sig in that color.

Honestly, if it got signed in silver I would have absolutely no complaints. The designated area to sign is very dark, black in most of it. The gold would be nice, but as long as it's in ink that stands out I'd be happy.

Now if it gets signed in black ink, I'd be very bummed.

This thread is making me a little nervous.

I do not make special color requests but do trust my facilitator to use his best creative judgment. While extenuating circumstances can make it such that not everyone will get the best possible color for every cover I would think that, in general, the black pen/marker should be the last one handed to the signer for most non-white covers.

Is it just me, or does everyone have minor issues with their facilitator? I've had several lately, but the most annoying is not getting the signatures in the specific color that was originally requested. So instead of gold or silver, they are all in black.

Am I the only one who has these issues?

Is it time to look elsewhere?

My approach is to try and ensure success by

1. Pre-communicate with facilitator to let him/her know what Im trying to accomplish, and whether (in their opinion) it is feasible. If it is not, I make adjustments.

2. Picking a book that has a good area for a black ink signature.

3. Window boxing the area I want signed so that the signer doesn't end up putting a black ink signature on a dark area of the comic

4. Marking the front and back of the bag with the ink request (along with who I want to have sign the book, etc as the facilitator requests)

I decided on this approach since I've seen a few black on black signatures, which would be disappointing to me, so I engineer the situation to have the best chance of a positive outcome (where a positive outcome is a nice presenting, visible signature on the book).

If I was dead set on getting a dark book signed (say Preacher 1) with a silver pen (assuming it is an option from the signer and the facilitator) I'd do the same 4 steps, but know that there's a slight chance the book comes back with a black ink signature in the window boxed space.

If I had this problem keep reoccurring (black sig on black area when silver was available and requested), I'd switch facilitators.

I would not stray from black/silver options... just gets to complicated, and lord knows the facilitators are juggling enough details as it is.

I've used three different facilitators over the last three years (just due to availability, not ability), and have been happy with all three.

Here is another example, last year at NYCC I stood in line for Anthony Daniels, I had 3 books for him to sign for a client. When I gave him the books he examined each one and then proceeded to berate me for "My color choice", My client wanted them signed with a blue marker (Which I brought with me). Mr. Daniels was not impressed when I told him that I was getting them signed "For a Friend", his direct quote was..."Tell your friend, he has NO artistic vision"... Then he said... I'll sign one in blue the other in black and you be the judge. When I politely pointed out that I paid for the signatures, and I should be able to get them in the color my friend wants... Mr. Daniels told me that he "Does not have to sign them, and was willing to give back the money... " So either I "Throw down" and start a argument or give way and let the actor have his win...

My client received a one blue signature and two black ones... I told Mr. Daniels that he was absolutely correct in the color choice, black was better.... I was in the other hall by the time I realized that Daniels kept my blue sharpie.

I sent a text to my client, re-telling the events. He was ok with it.

If I was the client I'd rather have the book in the non-requested color (assuming it still looked good as Mr Daniels proclaimed) and that story to tell than the book in my requested (supposedly unartistic) color and no story to tell...

Here is another example, last year at NYCC I stood in line for Anthony Daniels, I had 3 books for him to sign for a client. When I gave him the books he examined each one and then proceeded to berate me for "My color choice", My client wanted them signed with a blue marker (Which I brought with me). Mr. Daniels was not impressed when I told him that I was getting them signed "For a Friend", his direct quote was..."Tell your friend, he has NO artistic vision"... Then he said... I'll sign one in blue the other in black and you be the judge. When I politely pointed out that I paid for the signatures, and I should be able to get them in the color my friend wants... Mr. Daniels told me that he "Does not have to sign them, and was willing to give back the money... " So either I "Throw down" and start a argument or give way and let the actor have his win...

My client received a one blue signature and two black ones... I told Mr. Daniels that he was absolutely correct in the color choice, black was better.... I was in the other hall by the time I realized that Daniels kept my blue sharpie.

If I was the client I'd rather have the book in the non-requested color (assuming it still looked good as Mr Daniels proclaimed) and that story to tell than the book in my requested (supposedly unartistic) color and no story to tell...

it's funny you say that,

I have several books in my personal collection that I was not happy about the signature, color or location. However, my interaction at that time makes it special, and in some cases a discussion piece.

For example, about three years ago I was standing in line at a Balt. convention, my GF was with me (Actually asking me when we could ditch the convention and get some crab cakes.. <3 ) Finally the artist stopped talking to the person in front of us and I, my GF (now my wife) and my CAW stepped up to his table. The artist NEVER looked at me or my CAW, just my GF, in fact he flirted with her the whole time he was signing, and very quickly the conversation on his part became totally inappropriate.

My GF handled it great, told the old guy to go home to his wife and stop trying to play in the majors when he is obviously a minor leaguer.. As we walked away, my GF told me that she felt like she needed to shower after talking to that guy... and if I did not take her to nice lunch I would be spending the rest of the day and night.... well you can imagine. :baiting:

The best part for me, is that the artist's signature is hideous, a scribble, and his placement (This was prior to window bags) was on the worst part of the cover... I hate the one book I still have left... but I keep it so show my wife... every once in awhile... just to remind her.... of the best lunch she ever had in Baltimore.....

it's funny you say that,

I have several books in my personal collection that I was not happy about the signature, color or location. However, my interaction at that time makes it special, and in some cases a discussion piece.

For example, about three years ago I was standing in line at a Balt. convention, my GF was with me (Actually asking me when we could ditch the convention and get some crab cakes.. <3 ) Finally the artist stopped talking to the person in front of us and I, my GF (now my wife) and my CAW stepped up to his table. The artist NEVER looked at me or my CAW, just my GF, in fact he flirted with her the whole time he was signing, and very quickly the conversation on his part became totally inappropriate.

My GF handled it great, told the old guy to go home to his wife and stop trying to play in the majors when he is obviously a minor leaguer.. As we walked away, my GF told me that she felt like she needed to shower after talking to that guy... and if I did not take her to nice lunch I would be spending the rest of the day and night.... well you can imagine. :baiting:

The best part for me, is that the artist's signature is hideous, a scribble, and his placement (This was prior to window bags) was on the worst part of the cover... I hate the one book I still have left... but I keep it so show my wife... every once in awhile... just to remind her.... of the best lunch she ever had in Baltimore.....

I was at Baltimore that year, also with my wife. Didn't experience anything like that. But it is an interesting story. Any chance of naming said artist? :gossip:

it's funny you say that,

I was at Baltimore that year, also with my wife. Didn't experience anything like that. But it is an interesting story. Any chance of naming said artist? :gossip:

nope,

unless you buy me a beer! :baiting:

it's funny you say that,

PM sent

it's funny you say that,

PM sent

Chicken Dinner!!!! (thumbs u :devil: (thumbs u