• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Mutants 87

237 posts in this topic

Since this is turning into a Cable lovefest, a book that is underrated is X-Factor 68. This book is essentially the origin of Cable. Especially with movies coming up titled X-Men: Apocalypse and X-Force. I wouldn't be surprised to see little baby Nathan shipped off to the future at the end of Apocalypse and come back full adult for the X-Force movie.

Of course Singer would have to find a way to get Cyclops and Jean Gray back into the movieverse first...

Since this is turning into a Cable lovefest, a book that is underrated is X-Factor 68. This book is essentially the origin of Cable. Especially with movies coming up titled X-Men: Apocalypse and X-Force. I wouldn't be surprised to see little baby Nathan shipped off to the future at the end of Apocalypse and come back full adult for the X-Force movie.

Of course Singer would have to find a way to get Cyclops and Jean Gray back into the movieverse first...

I think the whole Whilce Portacio X-Factor run is a little underrated.

X-Factor_Vol_1_65.jpg

Original-X-Factor-by-Whilce-Portacio.jpg

my only anecdotal insight is that i see plenty of 97s...indeed i was going through a 50 cent box today and saw 95, 96, 97...99, 100...DAGNABIT! the 98 is always plucked.

250K, 300K, 350K...whatever the number is, plenty to go around. i am just so ticked off that I didn't have the vision to be willing to spending a whopping $2 on this book when it was sitting in $2 boxes...as I've posted here many times, I only saw it in a dollar box once in my years of hunting. things could have been different in other parts of the country. i liked deadpool since the mid-90s, so he was on my "hunt down" list, just the idea of spending $2 or $5 on a modern made me ill.

i don't think we can go by #100, because that was a glut book

That 98 really is always missing from the pile, or at least it seems that way. I actually got pretty lucky last month and found a guy selling some comic books out of the trunk of his car for only $1 a piece. Take a wild guess as to what was in there. Thats right, NM 98. I should have kept it and sold my CGC 9.8, instead I decided to sell that one. Anyways, I'm not sure if I'll ever buy another copy for that cheap.

X-Factor_Vol_1_65.jpg

+1

Beast looks awesome!

my only anecdotal insight is that i see plenty of 97s...indeed i was going through a 50 cent box today and saw 95, 96, 97...99, 100...DAGNABIT! the 98 is always plucked.

250K, 300K, 350K...whatever the number is, plenty to go around. i am just so ticked off that I didn't have the vision to be willing to spending a whopping $2 on this book when it was sitting in $2 boxes...as I've posted here many times, I only saw it in a dollar box once in my years of hunting. things could have been different in other parts of the country. i liked deadpool since the mid-90s, so he was on my "hunt down" list, just the idea of spending $2 or $5 on a modern made me ill.

That 98 really is always missing from the pile, or at least it seems that way. I actually got pretty lucky last month and found a guy selling some comic books out of the trunk of his car for only $1 a piece. Take a wild guess as to what was in there. Thats right, NM 98. I should have kept it and sold my CGC 9.8, instead I decided to sell that one. Anyways, I'm not sure if I'll ever buy another copy for that cheap.

You would be surprised.

I bought a New Mutants 87-100 set off Ebay last year, with a 9.2 condition 98 in the pile, for $18 shipped. The mistake he made was listing them as "New Mutants misc books" with no other clear indication what he had.

That will most probably not be the last time you will catch a listing like that.

It's a slightly odd looking cover because of Scott's massive quads and those bowed legs. But I still like it.

300px-X-Factor_Vol_1_68.jpg

But does that really tell the full origin of Cable? I thought it was revealed later in Cable #6.

X-Factor_Vol_1_65.jpg

+1 Enjoyed Portacio's run on X-Factor!

You would be surprised.

I bought a New Mutants 87-100 set off Ebay last year, with a 9.2 condition 98 in the pile, for $18 shipped. The mistake he made was listing them as "New Mutants misc books" with no other clear indication what he had.

That will most probably not be the last time you will catch a listing like that.

Congrats on the find! :applause:

The whole "superheroes on steroids" era makes me wanna puke

But in his defense we may say think Portacio was (is? where is he now?) more interesting – he seemingly put more effort in actually conveying the characters' expressions and narrating the stories through the drawings. "Legion of night" is an interesting work, for example, as it is earlier and written by Steve Gerber (basically the opposite than Marvel fad "writers").

What is inconsistent about all these titles (with almost no exception) is that deliberately rejected essential consistency with what has happened before, and even in the less ravaged titles, the true content (the story) was discarded in favor of the simple element the new drawers ("artist" is a big word) were gaining a great exposition and success – they, we would more appropriately, were "meeting a taste".

Question is: what informs taste, and what is its qualitative nature?

Topics which are constantly avoided (or overlooked at best) in today’s (apparent) debates. In every field.

All of it. It really is offensive. I find comic art from that era very difficult to appreciate, by and large. More so than any other era.

There are quite a few horrible examples. But what that did is make the solid examples stand out.

Not that I hope for plenty of bad art to make the gems shine brighter.

Whilce Portacio's art still looks ten times better to me than most of the hackwork imitators trying this style at the time. I'm not a fan of the art from this era either - far, far from it - but Portacio isn't remotely as bad as the actual bad stuff.

My comment Wasnt directed at whilce in particular who Id call better than most but still not my cup of tea. Just a comment on the majority of art from that era

It may be difficult to debate mostly on impressions, but what I was very disappointed by, as Marvel scrambled the titles all over (before X-Tinction agenda) were the stories.

As far as the art goes:

Jim Lee: his style appeared immature, with some pleasing traits, but showed clearly he was unable to draw human beings in all their variety, ethnicity, or age. They looked like fashion models, all the same age, and mostly in pose – and his "acclaimed" Beast had nothing specifically new or original.

Rob Liefeld: No comment, although "Hawk and Dove" looked better. He might have benefitted from having to discuss with an inker, and learn, instead of being idolized. Marvel is the chief responsible of what happened afterwards.

Whilce Portacio: was definitely more interesting, but again I have not followed him afterwards.

That's actually a really good description of one of the things I disliked about Jim Lee :golfclap:

That, and I was at a convention (this is around the time of punisher war journal 6 and 7) where I overheard him say he'd never met anyone who didn't like his art :eyeroll: