• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Mutants 87

237 posts in this topic

So they could sucker specs into buying 100 copies of xforce 1. Easier to sell 100 copies of a number one than a #101. They still eff around with numbering to this day

Yeah, that's pretty much where that whole idea started.

:sick:

So Wizard #1 came out when? 1990? I noticed that one of the books listed in their top ten was New Mutants #87. That makes me think it was a $25 wall book for a variety of LCS. Of course by the time it came out X-Force #1 and New Mutants #100 had apparently also already hit so maybe it's a moot point.

hm

Wizard 1

1. X-Force #1

2. X-Men #248

3. Silver Surfer #50

4. X-Factor #63

5. Spider-Man #1 (Platinum)

6. New Mutants #87

7. Silver Surfer #34

8. Ghost Rider #15

9. Teen Titans #2

10. New Mutants #100 (1st Print)

It is a tough one to prove, other than the early prices paid before the guides were reflecting these sales. I didn't catch on to Cable until I saw the Wolverine-Cable cover (I was collecting everything with Wolverine appearances at the time).

1798898-new_mutants__1983_1st_series__093.jpeg

I ended up having to pay $28 a month later in order to complete the New Mutants run up to that point. And being in the NJ-NY area where many comic stores were popping up, this was starting to come up as the average price. Though I found some later going for $18.

I was in the same boat. I had dropped New Mutants a couple years earlier. I had been hearing some buzz about the new Liefeld stuff, but it wasn't until X-Tinction Agenda came around that I bought the tie-ins and discovered it for myself. Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but I recall that tracking down the previous Liefeld issues was already costing a few bucks. The $18 you cite for #87 sounds right to me for this period, pre-#100, pre-X-Force.

Of course, that was from stores on top of everything. Deals could still be found. I got a #87 and an X-Men #266 for a buck each around this time from a place that wasn't paying attention. I'm sure that #87 had broken out before #100 hit stands though.

New Mutants 87 was already heating up before 100 hit the stands. Most probably depending on where you lived and the availability of inventory throughout your area, you could either track these books down or had to pay the boosted rate.

I was doing some work for a small dealer in NJ that did a lot of NJ-NY shows. He was one of those that picked up on the hot books fairly fast, and would ensure to post them on the wall at prices before they were 'official' in the guide ($10 for Green Lantern: Emerald Dawn #1 only a few weeks after it came out). He was not in a rush to blow out books because his primary income was Golden Age. So if he had to wait to get his price on the more modern books, he'd wait.

He had New Mutants #87 up on the wall at $30 long before it would be considered official. And they were selling.

Crazy times!

Something that's been mentioned once or twice, but mostly overlooked, is that LIEFELD was actually the big ticket draw to the title, more than Cable, at least for a while, and this is reflected in those prices (and, in fact, in the Overstreet Updates). #86 - $10, #87 - $7.

So, assuming the ads had to be finalized say, a month before printing...that means that East Coast Comics had, and was willing to sell, copies of New Mutants #87 for a mere $7 at the same time #98 was hitting the stands.

Kinda puts the stake in the heart of the' "New Mutants #87 was a $25 wall book in 1990", no? After all...if readers could pick up #99, and see the ad, and send in a check or money order and buy a copy for $7 (all orders were limited to one copy, min order $15, S&H $3)...why would they pay $25 for one? Especially in an era where grade consciousness was fairly non-existent...?

hm

It all changed with #100.

:cloud9:

The East Coast Comics ad from Avengers West Coast #72 (cover dated July 1991) lists New Mutants #87 as a $10 book. So if the lead time on ads was one month, then East Coast Comics was briefly selling NM87 for $10 after NM100 came out.

I won't use those comic ads as proof of much. They were sadly very unreliable. Anything hot or semi hot was often either sold out or cost more. Often the goal was to get you to order other things.

Getting what your ordered was rare. But Mile High Comics was the worst.

I ended up avoiding most mail order places and would often call certain stores so I got a real person on the line. I used to rack up some huge phone bills in the early 90's, but it was worth every penny.

Edited by Rip

When did New Mutants 87 second printing hit the market that this book required another printing? CGC shows both books coming out with the same publication date. But I thought there was a one month difference.

New Mutants 87 (March 1990)

New Mutants 87 second printing (March 1990)

I would think if a book is going to second printing so quickly, there must have been some early interest. Especially since Cable was standing out as a new team leader of a book that was starting to pick up steam, and he was a man of mystery that readers were hungry to find out his origin.

I remember 87 being pretty hot from the start. The first NM I bought was from the X-tinction agenda arc (Beast is on the cover). And everyone was already talking about how cool Cable was.

One thing that RMA mentioned, and is also reflected in the ad, is at that time is was all about the artist. In the ad the first Liefeld is top $ book. I remember that was the same with Spidey. ASM 298 was the most expensive of the McFarlane books (ahead, slightly, of 300). It was all about the artists "1st appearance". It was a little while before 300 (rightfully) became the #1 McFarlane ASM.

New Mutants Annual #5 was one of those books that was being treated as "hot' because of Liefeld's early work. But didn't that come out around the same time as New Mutants 87, or close to it?

That crazy book was bringing in $15-$18 at one point.

at that time is was all about the artist.

Though it is a very valid when it comes to the high prices that were being asked (and paid), 1st appearances of course factored into some of the demand and prices. But there is no question ASM 298 was valued slightly higher at the time becaue it was the 1st McFarlane.

1st appearances were also getting attention. When I asked my LCS at the time if he could find me a NM 87 when I picked up that NM 93, his response was "Too hot - good luck with that!"

So artist 1st appearances did dominate the speculation grab. But they didn't rule out 1st appearances 100%.

New Mutants Annual #5 was one of those books that was being treated as "hot' because of Liefeld's early work. But didn't that come out around the same time as New Mutants 87, or close to it?

That crazy book was bringing in $15-$18 at one point.

- New Mutants Annual #5 (October 1989)

The "Atlantis Attacks" story takes place during New Mutants #87. This story serves as a semi-sequel to New Mutants #76, as the Horn of Doom plays into both issues.

- New Mutants #85 (January 1990)

Liefeld & McFarlane cover art

- New Mutants #86 (February 1990)

Liefeld & McFarlane cover art; Liefeld story pencils.

- New Mutants #87 (March 1990)

When did New Mutants 87 second printing hit the market that this book required another printing? CGC shows both books coming out with the same publication date. But I thought there was a one month difference.

I would think if a book is going to second printing so quickly, there must have been some early interest. Especially since Cable was standing out as a new team leader of a book that was starting to pick up steam, and he was a man of mystery that readers were hungry to find out his origin.

CGC could easily be wrong about the date of the 2nd printing . . . anyone with a copy want to check indicia dates (which can be easily misread or misprinted in later prints. Also check the column dates and ad dates, etc.

From the US Copyright Office:

Type of Work: Serial

Title: The New Mutants.

Serial Publication Year: 1990

Serial Key Title: The New Mutants

Imprint: New York : The Group, 1983 [i.e. 1982]-.

ISSN: 0747-4601

Description: print material.

Frequency: Monthly.

Publication History: Vol. 1, no. 1, Mar. 1983-

Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 4, June 1983.

Copyright Claimant: Marvel Entertainment Group, Inc.

Issues Registered: v. 1, no. 87, Mar90. Created 1990; Pub. 1990-01-09; Reg. 1990-04-06; TX0002788868

v. 1, no. 88, Apr90. Created 1990; Pub. 1990-02-13; Reg. 1990-04-30; TX0002819456

v. 1, no. 89, May90. Created 1990; Pub. 1990-03-13; Reg. 1990-05-23; TX0002821942

v. 1, no. 90, Jun90. Created 1990; Pub. 1990-04-10; Reg. 1990-05-31; TX0002838153

v. 1, no. 91, Jul90. Created 1990; Pub. 1990-05-08; Reg. 1990-06-19; TX0002846834

v. 1, no. 92, Aug90. Created 1990; Pub. 1990-06-12; Reg. 1990-08-27; TX0002884280

v. 1, no. 93, Sep90. Created 1990; Pub. 1990-07-10; Reg. 1990-12-26; TX0002966358

v. 1, no. 94, Oct90. Created 1990; Pub. 1990-08-14; Reg. 1990-12-26; TX0002966316

v. 1, no. 95, Nov90. Created 1990; Pub. 1990-09-01; Reg. 1990-12-26; TX0002966270

v. 1, no. 96, Dec90. Created 1990; Pub. 1990-10-09; Reg. 1990-12-26; TX0002966359

v. 1, no. 97, Jan91. Created 1990; Pub. 1990-11-13; Reg. 1990-12-26; TX0002966360

v. 1, no. 98, Feb91. Created 1990; Pub. 1990-12-11; Reg. 1990-12-31; TX0002976884

Names: Marvel Entertainment Group, Inc.

I won't use those comic ads as proof of much. They were sadly very unreliable. Anything hot or semi hot was often either sold out or cost more. Often the goal was to get you to order other things.

Getting what your ordered was rare. But Mile High Comics was the worst.

I ended up avoiding most mail order places and would often call certain stores so I got a real person on the line. I used to rack up some huge phone bills in the early 90's, but it was worth every penny.

They WERE very unreliable, as far as having the actual items in stock, especially hot books, but...where they come in handy is in the prices that THEY thought the books should be selling for.

Keeping in mind that these folks, like East Coast Comics, paid thousands of dollars to have these ads in, they were going to have to be more than just the Comics Values Monthly of ads. In order to get buyers, they had to keep fairly abreast of the comics market, or their multiple thousands of dollars investment would be for naught.

I remember calling American Comics in the early 90's, too, and ordering all sorts of books. I still have the invoices somewhere. Man, was that fun.

Thankfully, I never bought from Crestohl and Ross!

I remember calling American Comics in the early 90's, too, and ordering all sorts of books. I still have the invoices somewhere. Man, was that fun.

Ditto on both points.

Although, I know my old invoices must be long gone. It was fun when the new catalog would come out and I'd prep my order.

Ditto on both points.

Although, I know my old invoices must be long gone. It was fun when the new catalog would come out and I'd prep my order.

With no real LCS option, that is where I got back issues and books that I missed at the grocery or drug store. Loved getting that catalog.

Edited by awakeintheashes

When NM 94 came out on the shelves I loved the cover and had to have it. I went into the back issues looking for issue 93. It was already $3. I then asked about this Cable character. The store owner pulled a NM 87 off the wall behind him and said it was $20. I asked why it was that high and he had a CVM issue already hyping it.

This was in Allentown, PA. His prices were always high, but Cable was hot almost right away. I ended up buying a different copy a couple months later for $25 at another shop.

When NM 94 came out on the shelves I loved the cover and had to have it. I went into the back issues looking for issue 93. It was already $3. I then asked about this Cable character. The store owner pulled a NM 87 off the wall behind him and said it was $20. I asked why it was that high and he had a CVM issue already hyping it.

This was in Allentown, PA. His prices were always high, but Cable was hot almost right away. I ended up buying a different copy a couple months later for $25 at another shop.

I never ran into any dealers that took CVM serious. But I did meet fellow collectors that used this to boost their confidence their money was invested wisely.

(:

CGC could easily be wrong about the date of the 2nd printing . . . anyone with a copy want to check indicia dates (which can be easily misread or misprinted in later prints. Also check the column dates and ad dates, etc.

Interesting enough, both the first printing and second printing state March 1990. But when you check the copyright year, a first printing will show 1990, while a second printing shows 1991.

Ditto on both points.

With no real LCS option, that is where I got back issues and books that I missed at the grocery or drug store. Loved getting that catalog.

The best part of American Comics, later American Entertainment (also Entertainment Monthly...I think...) was that the sold all sorts of books for HUGE discounts off of what was available at any of the LCSs I went to.

In the time before the internet, you had few options. Cons were a Godsend. I bought an X-Men #64 at Wondercon in 1991 (in Oakland!) for $8....it's an easy 9.2. I still have it! At a shop, it would have been $30.

But AE...man, they had the best prices. Not always in stock, but what there was....woohoo!

Ditto on both points.

The best part of American Comics, later American Entertainment (also Entertainment Monthly...I think...) was that the sold all sorts of books for HUGE discounts off of what was available at any of the LCSs I went to.

In the time before the internet, you had few options. Cons were a Godsend. I bought an X-Men #64 at Wondercon in 1991 (in Oakland!) for $8....it's an easy 9.2. I still have it! At a shop, it would have been $30.

But AE...man, they had the best prices. Not always in stock, but what there was....woohoo!

So true! My rural area didn't really have cons and convincing my parents to drive me to a card show an hour away that might have comics became tiring. AE was the only option I had as a comic addicted kid.

Edited by awakeintheashes